ADVERTISEMENT

Laviano Feels Like a Different Person

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore

Sounds like the young man has grown a lot. Maybe the folks who are still mad can like the different person?

“Everybody kind of deserves a quarterback that’s going to be all-in,” Laviano said, “and is going to perform at a really high level.”

“I feel like a completely different person,” Laviano said, “a completely different player now, compared to last year. The things I’m doing on and off the field are night and day” in terms of difference."

“His leadership as well as his play on the field have tremendously improved,” Mehringer said.

“Winning that award from the weight room,” Mehringer added, “which is not handed out easily, was definitely a testament to his consistency.”

“I’m faster, stronger. I have more zip on the ball,” said Laviano, who credited strength and conditioning coach Kenny Parker for doing “a good job developing me through the summer and continuing into the fall. I still lift a lot.

“I want to be the best player I can be,” Laviano added. “(With) the amount of work we do h

“Coach Mehringer probably had the biggest influence on me,” Laviano added, “just the way he lives his life and the way he works and the kind of success he’s had. (It) just made me want to jump on ship and kind of work twice as hard as what he thought I was doing.”

“He knows what he wants,” Laviano added. “He’s a very consistent man on and off the field. He’s passionate about the game, and he’s passionate about his players, and (I) just have a lot of respect for a guy that can show that much consistency because it’s not easy, especially in this profession.”
y82mzpcmq8clzko3t7ge
20377_lavianof.png

Stronger faster more zip, more passion... I can buy that.... What about improvement in touch, consistency and accuracy? Not a peep related to this leaves me extremely skeptical.

Stronger faster more zip, more passion... I can buy that.... What about improvement in touch, consistency and accuracy? Not a peep related to this leaves me extremely skeptical.

Accuracy was never an issue. Consistancy comes with time in the pocket inside of rinning for you life.

We will see

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
In my opinion his glaring weakness last year was his arm strength. He frequently under threw carroo and the other WRs. Way too many passes never arrived on time due to that "lack of zip". Hopefully his dedication in the gym and film study drastically improves that part of his game. Two coaches have now chosen CL so he is obviously our best available option.

I certainly hope Laviano has grown a lot, but as Mike Tyson famously said "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." It's how you react to adversity that defines you. We'll see how much Laviano has changed when the team hits the turf at Husky Stadium to face a very good UW defense. I'll be there rooting hard for Laviano.

Reactions: ScarletKnightRider
I certainly hope Laviano has grown a lot, but as Mike Tyson famously said "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." It's how you react to adversity that defines you. We'll see how much Laviano has changed when the team hits the turf at Husky Stadium to face a very good UW defense. I'll be there rooting hard for Laviano.

See, I thought CL had physical toughness last year. He got walloped a few times real good and got back in there. That, IMO, is not the problem. Lack of experience and consistency was. With all the hard work he's put in, I'm hopeful for a better year from him (and the team).

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Let us see what happens between his ears. Just like Gary Nova there is talent, but I am not sure about his decision making. Last year he seemed to have tunnel vision and all he saw was number 4. I hope that has changed.

Other than a general throwaway comment from Mehringer, the OP was an interview of Laviano. Your upset he didn't mention all of the various things he thinks he has improved upon? Maybe he should have just stood there rattling of various traits for a half hour, but that probably wouldn't have gone over well.

His biggest issue has always been arm strength. That he singled that out, shows he knows its an issue. That he spent the entire off season lifting shows he is dedicated to improving. That is enough. What more do people want from him?

Sargeant's take.
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...dy_deserves_a_qb_that.html#incart_river_index
But it was hard not to listen to Chris Laviano on Monday and not come away thinking that the Rutgers quarterback was headed in the right direction from a maturation standpoint.

And here is the quote that matters (he gets it):
"At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is winning,'' Laviano said. "I didn't really take that as an accomplishment per se. I was just thinking about Washington and how am I going to get my mind and body prepared for this game.

"We're all excited. We're playing really well, so I'm really psyched just as everybody in this building is.''

Sounds like something clicked and the kid has grown up. Good for him, as it took Nova until his senior year. We shall see, as the Husky defense will be a stiff test. Go get em Chris.

Reactions: BuckRU
Really? Your commenting on his hair. What do you have going on top?

Read my post above.

Peoples sarcasm meters are really off or my jokes must be that bad.

And fwiw I've decided to go back to my grade school days and bring the comb over back. It's classy and works with the ladies.

Reactions: Knight Shift
There is a segment of this board that has developed a personal hatred towards the kid.

I don't think it's hatred. I think it was clear to many on the board that CL was in over his head last year. No player is perfect but alot of his mistakes appeared to be mental rather than physical. Based on his comments this year it appears that he has owned the fact that he didn't prepare like he should have last year.

I am looking forward to the day when the lightbulb goes off in the Laviano Detractors heads, and they realize that 90% of his issues where a combination of coaching issues and 1st year learning on the job.
His arm strength has improved ( you could see that at the open Scrimmage), and you can see a physical difference in his body. His Accuracy never bothered me, so I think we are in good shape.

Sounds like something clicked and the kid has grown up. Good for him, as it took Nova until his senior year. We shall see, as the Husky defense will be a stiff test. Go get em Chris.

Sometimes it just takes a good coach. Flood obviously was not the guy. From everything we have seen the attitude of this staff is night and day compared to what we had last year. I'll be rooting for CL to succeed along w/ the rest of the team.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I think Laviano is an example where a kid rises to the level of expectations. Clearly Ash has high expectations for the team and kudos to Laviano for stepping up, maturing, working hard, and making improvements.

In fairness to the kid last year, he was flawed, but I never doubted his toughness. At times, he looked decent at QB, but some games just became overwhelming. If he is 15% better this year, and by the sounds of it, he might be, then his production should improve drastically.

I'll certainly be rooting for him.

See, I thought CL had physical toughness last year. He got walloped a few times real good and got back in there. That, IMO, is not the problem. Lack of experience and consistency was. With all the hard work he's put in, I'm hopeful for a better year from him (and the team).

I agree he was pretty tough physically last year. Like most young QBs, it's mental toughness and the ability to read defenses where he needs the most improvement.

The best comment from his interview was that the only thing that matters is winning.

Let us see what happens between his ears. Just like Gary Nova there is talent, but I am not sure about his decision making. Last year he seemed to have tunnel vision and all he saw was number 4. I hope that has changed.

Well, unless he's transferring to the Atlanta Falcons it better change.

Reactions: brodo
ADVERTISEMENT