ADVERTISEMENT

Lax Announcement

Caliknight

Legend
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2001
Coach Brecht is really pushing the envelope. This has never been done before in lacrosse, and I guarantee the old guard is not going to like.

This was what was alluded to in another thread, and it can finally be discussed publicly as there has been an official announcement.

Our two latest additions skipped their senior seasons of high school and have enrolled and are on the team. By all accounts, both kids are high major talents.

It's really great to see a Rutgers program being at the forefront of something and pushing the boundaries, as opposed to following suit later after other schools perfect it.

Great job by the staff and the administration.

http://scarletknights.com/news/2018/1/18/mens-lacrosse-adds-two-mid-year-enrollees.aspx

Why is this frowned upon? Isn't this a common occurrence for football? The only difference is that Football season is in the fall, so football players play their senior season.

With a Football EE he would get 5 &1/2 years to play 4 years, but with Lacrosse he will only get 4 & 1/2 years to play 4 years.

Reactions: CerealNTacos
Is this a tactic used to secure recruits as soon as possible? I'm only speaking from what I've seen with football. I wasn't sure if this is frowned upon because they want the player to gain another year of experience before making the jump to collegiate athletics.

Article says that they both graduated from HS early. They skipped their senior year of lacrosse. It's not like they didn't graduate. Oftentimes excellent scholars graduate in three. Don't see much of a problem here.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS and RU62
Realistically, will either of these players make an impact this year? Seems like RU is absolutely loaded, especially at attack.

Why is this frowned upon? Isn't this a common occurrence for football? The only difference is that Football season is in the fall, so football players play their senior season.

The old guard of lacrosse is very tied to tradition and history. Things like this will make them very uneasy.

Don't care though. Coach Brecht is the first to do something that will become more commonplace. It's a really good sign of his ability to think outside of the box and the administration willing to play a long.

Realistically, will either of these players make an impact this year? Seems like RU is absolutely loaded, especially at attack.

From what I am hearing, it wouldn't totally surprise me if both were seen on the field this year in some capacity.

Tells you how good these kids are, and the recruiting level that the program is at now.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
This thread sparked my interested in wondering when their first game was. I ended up browsing their roster after checking out their schedule and I was surprised at how many players we have that are from out of state. He must be a hell of a recruiter.

He is. It's even more impressive when you consider some of these kids were vastly under recruited. Lacrosse recruiting is the wild west. There aren't enough resources to actually rank these kids properly, so you have a lot of kids like Casey Rose. He was going to play club lacrosse @ Colorado St. before Coach Brecht saw him while scouting one of his team mates. We get him, and he starts as a freshman. Will have a good chance at All American before his time is up. His story isn't unique.

Cereal, if you don't know anything about the team or program, they play a very exciting, run and gun style. It's full systems go with offense starting on the defensive end of the field. We will put up numbers.

The schedule is grade A. Season tickets are $40.00. An absolute steal.

While this is all the good news, there is some injury news to share, sadly. Once that becomes public, I'll post it.

Is this a tactic used to secure recruits as soon as possible? I'm only speaking from what I've seen with football. I wasn't sure if this is frowned upon because they want the player to gain another year of experience before making the jump to collegiate athletics.

I think each situation is unique. Some kids play on really good high school teams and want to play for titles. Some kids don't and are ready to move apparently. If you are good enough, we apparently will allow it.

I don't know much about Joe Peterson's recruitment, but I've seen that kid's video and he is big and fast, and will fit in well with our style.

The attackman looks super slick. I was told Notre Dame made a big push right before signing day. Feather in Coach Brecht's hat that he not only held on to him, but got him on campus 2 months later.

Incredible to think how good these kids are that they can skip their senior season and come to a high level college program and fit right in.

I can't stress it enough how incredible this is. Rutgers was the first to do something revolutionary. It's another really good sign.

Reactions: CerealNTacos
Understand that this is the new reality. Kinda sad for a kid who’s a captain to leave his teammates, who he’s been playing with for years, to start college a semester early. Guess this is only natural when kids are committing to schools when they’re 14 or 15 years old.

I think each situation is unique. Some kids play on really good high school teams and want to play for titles. Some kids don't and are ready to move apparently. If you are good enough, we apparently will allow it.

I don't know much about Joe Peterson's recruitment, but I've seen that kid's video and he is big and fast, and will fit in well with our style.

The attackman looks super slick. I was told Notre Dame made a big push right before signing day. Feather in Coach Brecht's hat that he not only held on to him, but got him on campus 2 months later.

Incredible to think how good these kids are that they can skip their senior season and come to a high level college program and fit right in.

I can't stress it enough how incredible this is. Rutgers was the first to do something revolutionary. It's another really good sign.
I had to do a double take and read their bios, when I saw this on Twitter.

I was just talking to one of my rec assistants, who is a retired HOF HS coach in NJ and still active in NCAA officiating, and he was as shocked as I was. He never heard of this before and was shocked.

Interesting. The advantage in FB is obvious...get to learn the system, S&C get acclimated to classes before the season. Not sure I get the benefit in lax. Cali, is this because these guys are from Cal and Illinois - not real lax hotbeds? Maybe HS comp is weak for them?

He is. It's even more impressive when you consider some of these kids were vastly under recruited. Lacrosse recruiting is the wild west. There aren't enough resources to actually rank these kids properly, so you have a lot of kids like Casey Rose. He was going to play club lacrosse @ Colorado St. before Coach Brecht saw him while scouting one of his team mates. We get him, and he starts as a freshman. Will have a good chance at All American before his time is up. His story isn't unique.

Cereal, if you don't know anything about the team or program, they play a very exciting, run and gun style. It's full systems go with offense starting on the defensive end of the field. We will put up numbers.

While this is all the good news, there is some injury news to share, sadly. Once that becomes public, I'll post it.
Injury? Really? Is it AC?

I was just thinking about how I would react if one if my best players opted not to play their senior year. I would be very happy, and proud, but also upset. haha

Cali in your opinion how good do you think this team will be this year? Top 5? Can we actually challange for a title?

From what I understand about Peterson and Coyne is that they were maybe not getting the level of coaching that they needed or wanted so they saw coming early as a win/win. If they play, great they get to play on what most people feel is certainly a top 10 and maybe a top 5 team, and if they do not the get the advantage of playing against top level division 1 talent getting coached by top coaches and get into a top level strength program. I have seen these kids practice and they definitely look the part, how much they play will be based on how quickly they picked the speed of the game. BTW, in my opinion they would play on any HS team around here.

The injury is not great but it was worse last year where we had 4 ACL's to 4 kids who would play

Cali in your opinion how good do you think this team will be this year? Top 5? Can we actually challange for a title?

We have a lot of talent that has played together for a long time. Lacrosse has never been more competitive, so I won’t make any predictions, other than, if we don’t make the tournament it will be a huge disappointment. Once in the tournament, we can compete with and best any team in the country.

Any team that wins the championship needs stellar play and a lot of good fortune along the way. Hopefully that’s us. And keep this in mind, we are having this conversation now. Every recruiting class is better than the last, the facility will be built, and Coach Brecht is pushing the envelope in every way. It’s a program what will make this school proud for a long time. And has.

Injury? Really? Is it AC?
I heard about the injury a week or so ago and was going to post something but held off. Not good. Wish he'd stay healthy.

Who took the injury? Anyone go to the scrimmage today &, if so, how did it go?

Any and all injuries should be held off the board until announced. I’d recommend anyone making such claims edit their posts.

Reactions: RUpop
Any word on how the team looked today vs HC? We likely emptied the bench but I wonder how the starters looked when they were in the game.

Spoke to someone who was at the scrimmage from last 5min of 2nd qtr until the end. Said that HC outplayed us, that we were not sharp & they were.

Spoke to someone who was at the scrimmage from last 5min of 2nd qtr until the end. Said that HC outplayed us, that we were not sharp & they were.
Heard it ended in a tie. Can't read into it of course because RU might have been tinkering and experimenting.

While I know based on what I heard there are definitely things to work on, I wouldn't read too much into it.

I do know they played some starters while we were playing the 3 and 4th string guys. They have been practicing for 3 weeks. We've had 1. It's unusual to have a scrimmage this early.

Lots to work on, but that's not unexpected. Plenty of preseason left. I'd be surprised if we don't look better next week.

I was at the scrimmage and to say that the scrimmage was a tie would technically be correct but no Rutgers starter played after half, while HC played there starters all the way through the 4th quarter. There zone slowed us down and they did a good job of stopping the break but we played without several kids and they could not win a face-off until we started playing the 3rd, 4th and 5th kids. They won the 4th quarter but once again their goals came almost exclusively from their starters

Thanks for the summary rufamily. Were there any players who you expected to see on the field but did not? Damn, its killing me.

I was at the scrimmage and to say that the scrimmage was a tie would technically be correct but no Rutgers starter played after half, while HC played there starters all the way through the 4th quarter. There zone slowed us down and they did a good job of stopping the break but we played without several kids and they could not win a face-off until we started playing the 3rd, 4th and 5th kids. They won the 4th quarter but once again their goals came almost exclusively from their starters
That's more encouraging.

ADVERTISEMENT