ADVERTISEMENT

Lax game #6 -- Army

78CollegeAve

All American
Jul 2, 2001
Tough task today against a Top 15 program. Got behind 6-1 and now down 6-3 with a few minutes left in the second. Army goalie has 9 saves. RU's new goalie, Alexander, has 3 saves. If Nardella stays hot, then maybe RU can turn it. Otherwise, I'll take a moral victory today if the margin is 4 or under and Army is held to 12.

How are you following the game? I have no luck with gametracker and Rutgers only tweets when we score or end of quarters. I am following through Army's account which has much more detail on the game.

A loss is a loss, but this was a good effort. I had this one pegged as a bigger loss before we even played Uva. I saw Army/Syracuse, and Syracuse was fortunate to win that game. Their faceoff guy killed Army, but outside of that, I thought Army may have been the better team, they just needed more possessions.

I predict they have a really nice year.

Haven't seen the stats, but I am guessing our shooting percentage wasn't up to snuff. Tough to win scoring 7 goals.

Stats below. We outshot them, but made less saves. We had more groundballs, which is a function most of the faceoff spot which we did pretty well in. Same amount of turnovers and extra man was 50% which is acceptable. Clearing game could have been a little better but you can live with it. Overall, a few shots to drop and a few more saves, and this is a different game.

A loss is a loss, but we were close today. Interesting scores. Monmouth beat Wagner by 4 and St. John's lost to #6 Yale by 1.

Stats:

SHOTS BY PERIOD 1 2 3 4 Total
ARMY 6 9 14 4 33
RUTGERS 11 13 7 10 41

SAVES BY PERIOD 1 2 3 4 Total
ARMY 5 5 1 2 13
RUTGERS 2 1 4 2 9

GROUND BALLS BY PRD 1 2 3 4 Total
ARMY 5 5 6 8 24
RUTGERS 9 13 6 8 36

TURNOVERS BY PRD 1 2 3 4 Total
ARMY 2 1 2 3 8
RUTGERS 2 0 4 2 8

F/O VIOLATION BY PRD 1 2 3 4 Total
ARMY 1 0 0 0 1
RUTGERS 0 0 0 0 0

FACE-OFFS BY PRD 1 2 3 4 Total
ARMY 1-5 1-7 2-4 2-4 6-20
RUTGERS 4-5 6-7 2-4 2-4 14-20

CLEARS BY PERIOD 1 2 3 4 Total
ARMY 4-4 5-6 2-2 4-4 15-16
RUTGERS 2-4 2-2 4-5 5-5 13-16

EXTRA-MAN OPPS 1 2 3 4 Total
ARMY 0-0 0-0 0-1 0-0 0-1
RUTGERS 0-0 2-2 0-1 0-1 2-4

Silver lining: we are winning most statistical battles in losses. That's doing the right things. We need to finish and stop our opponents where it counts. This is no shock and what we've been talking about here; shooting and goal keeping.

It boggles the mind that we aren't better in goal. Three kids were HS all-America, one (Alleyne) was a sure-fire AA candidate as a rookie. How can it be that we are so curious in net?

Originally posted by AdamsGarden:
Silver lining: we are winning most statistical battles in losses. That's doing the right things. We need to finish and stop our opponents where it counts. This is no shock and what we've been talking about here; shooting and goal keeping.

It boggles the mind that we aren't better in goal. Three kids were HS all-America, one (Alleyne) was a sure-fire AA candidate as a rookie. How can it be that we are so curious in net?
D leaving open men around the crease with free hands and not getting to open men on slides are what I have noticed in previous games. Did not see today's game but from the score these must have improved but not enough.

Originally posted by njdirt:

Originally posted by AdamsGarden:

* It boggles the mind that we aren't better in goal. Three kids were HS all-America, one (Alleyne) was a sure-fire AA candidate as a rookie. How can it be that we are so curious in net?
D leaving open men around the crease with free hands and not getting to open men on slides are what I have noticed in previous games. Did not see today's game but from the score these must have improved but not enough.
I think you mentioned this last week and while I again agree with your points I still think we need some better scoring to help the long poles and G.

* And yes Adam, it is a head scratcher.

Hopkins 2-3? Hmm ...

Towson (-2), UNC (-2), Princeton (OT).

Richmond (-8) , UVa (-9), Monmouth (-1), Army (-2).

Can we trade?

ADVERTISEMENT