ADVERTISEMENT

Football LB Anthony Johnson dismissed

This program blows.
not really, but some that post here seen to fit that classification.
Better to dump the unworthy, no matter how talented ,than let them stay and make the program into one that cares more about winning than making sure its roster is filled with the type of kids everyone can be proud of.

You might feel better on the Nittany Nation board.if you feel unacceptable behavior should be accepted if the player has talent.
That blows

"gunned down" ?
Well..it wasn't a paint ball sling shot, was it? It was a gun and "Melton was charged with three counts of aggravated assault and possession of a weapon for unlawful purpose last September for his involvement in a drive-by shooting. " I suppose if someone hit the deck, they technically did go down. Either way, my original point stands. He committed a crime and still remained on the team, which was the crux of my post.

• Haha
Reactions: Jimpeg and MADHAT1
Well..it wasn't a paint ball sling shot, was it? It was a gun and "Melton was charged with three counts of aggravated assault and possession of a weapon for unlawful purpose last September for his involvement in a drive-by shooting. " I suppose if someone hit the deck, they technically did go down. Either way, my original point stands. He committed a crime and still remained on the team, which was the crux of my post. ,Make it sound like he did a drive-by with an AR-15
You make it sound like he used an AR-15
New Jersey is strict and charges pranks like major crimes at first.
Take this teenage prank as an example
Three teens threw a scare into the Jersey City school district when they tossed lit firecrackers into an open school window, district officials confirmed.
No one was injured in the June 1 incident at School 8 on Franklin Street in the Heights because students were in the lunchroom and the classroom was empty, schools Interim Superintendent Norma Fernandez told The Jersey Journal.
the three boys, a 13-year-old and two 15-year-olds, were taken into custody a short time later, just before noon, after police were alerted to firecrackers being thrown at nearby Pershing Field Park.

The teens were charged with false public alarm, possession of a weapon (a destructive device) and causing or risking widespread injury..

Melton and teammate Chris Long entered pre-trial intervention as a resolution. .
So instead of being treated like gunslingers, both were treated as kids that made a stupid mistake not thinking about the harm their prank could cause.

As for the teenagers I used as an example of how a stupid prank could be made into a major crime.
Don't know how that ended
But imagine life in prison wasn't the result

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Well..it wasn't a paint ball sling shot, was it? It was a gun and "Melton was charged with three counts of aggravated assault and possession of a weapon for unlawful purpose last September for his involvement in a drive-by shooting. " I suppose if someone hit the deck, they technically did go down. Either way, my original point stands. He committed a crime and still remained on the team, which was the crux of my post.
Long and Melton were both suspended for a quarter of the regular season in 2021. It wasn't like their actions went unpunished.

Long and Melton were both suspended for a quarter of the regular season in 2021. It wasn't like their actions went unpunished.
Yes I know. Slap on the wrist versus released from the team. Much different punishments but still was not the main point of my original post.

I don't know how anyone can judge weather or not this his dismissal was warranted or overkill without knowing what he did. It could have been as dumb as taking a bush light from someone's fridge and getting into a fight with that person or as bad as punching a women and stealing her laptop. Maybe he stole from a teammate and hit knocked him out. I don't see how people can say in the SEC this would be a small suspension ect.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I don't know how anyone can judge weather or not this his dismissal was warranted or overkill without knowing what he did. It could have been as dumb as taking a bush light from someone's fridge and getting into a fight with that person or as bad as punching a women and stealing her laptop. Maybe he stole from a teammate and hit knocked him out. I don't see how people can say in the SEC this would be a small suspension ect.

Great.

Fan of a program whose AD, HFBC and President covered up multiple rapes of children for decades concerned about how other judge criminal acts. SMFH

The fact that he was dismissed like this it’s not good

Reactions: PSU_Nut and thegock
Yes I know. Slap on the wrist versus released from the team. Much different punishments but still was not the main point of my original post.killed by
Not sure what your main point was using the phrase "gunned down." You might have a future writing dramatic, narrative-pushing chyrons for news channels. @PSU_Nut pretty much nailed it above. With these decisions, past history, intent and remorse are likely taken into account. Without knowing those and all the facts, this discussion is idle speculation and seems like people itching for something to start.

Great.

Fan of a program whose AD, HFBC and President covered up multiple rapes of children for decades concerned about how other judge criminal acts. SMFH
Whatever. He made valid points, regardless of his school affiliation. Would you feel better if he put his hand on a Bible and disavowed any connection to said incidents or approval of them? Just love how some people will not consider a valid viewpoint because of where it comes from--textbook example of why things are so divided in today's world.

Correct. And we don’t know how his conduct and commitment had been prior to this incident.

This thread is a good example of people on here being ready and willing to argue about anything.

Not sure what your main point was using the phrase "gunned down." You might have a future writing dramatic, narrative-pushing chyrons for news channels. @PSU_Nut pretty much nailed it above. With these decisions, past history, intent and remorse are likely taken into account. Without knowing those and all the facts, this discussion is idle speculation and seems like people itching for something to start.

I did not see this before I posted.

Safe to say…that’s pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

LMAO.. have you seen what is allowed in the Southern Escaped Convicts division?

All the big programs take stretch kids
Some work out, some don’t

Kudos to Greg for taking a shot, determine the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze, and moving on

We’re not winning anything of significance w mostly 3 stars, need the 4 and 5 star kid on board to start making a dent

Hopefully we can start signing more of the higher ranked kids. Those are the ones who can lead us to prominence

Reactions: thegock
Ehh...so it was a poor choice of words. I'll try and be a little more careful in the future.

Ehh...so it was a poor choice of words. I'll try and be a little more careful in the future.
I still like you, if that matters. I also don't think what the two players did last year was a good look, perhaps other factors worked in their favor. I would not want to be the person making these decisions to dismiss players from the team. But as we saw with Flood, if you don't do something, a bad atmosphere can develop.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Not often I see words I've never seen before, but "chyrons" was a new one to me. Interesting word with an interesting, if brief, etymology.
I mash up and mess words once in a while when mindlessly posting here from a mobile device, but I am a vocabularist extraordinaire. Yes, vocabularist is a word, because the Urban Dictionary says it is.

Reactions: mildone
not abiding by team rules and then going into the office for that talk is not good, not comfortable, and the quintessential 'oh shit' moment that either turns it around for you or not

Then don't follow it. Surprisingly, dumb comment from you! Kid is given everything and still needs to steal? Tells me it is just in his blood - a bad seed. No need for this.
Man you be surprise at all the stealing that goes on in college. The weed man was alway a target, food in the cafeteria, books at the bookstore. I even knew a guy that would steal pocketbook out of the library. Car batteries out of cars. Now this was in the late 70s early 80s. Not saying that it was right but it happened all the time.

The kid’s a loser. It happens. Moving on.
Loser, do you realize how many coaches get in trouble and are employed today. Jim Leavitt, Rick Pitino, DJ Durkin, former coaches Bobby Knight, Woddy Hayes. I have seen a coach assault a player. He is a young man with his whole life ahead of him, let see how the next 3-4 years play out

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Loser, do you realize how many coaches get in trouble and are employed today. Jim Leavitt, Rick Pitino, DJ Durkin, former coaches Bobby Knight, Woddy Hayes. I have seen a coach assault a player. He is a young man with his whole life ahead of him, let see how the next 3-4 years play out
IF he is guilty, then he is a loser at this point in time…no question about it….and Bobby Knight and some others should have been thrown in jail for some of their antics.

What happened to Woody when he did that?

IF he is guilty, then he is a loser at this point in time…no question about it….and Bobby Knight and some others should have been thrown in jail for some of their antics.

I have to agree with Jsol. Your take is very judgmental of a young guy. He’s paying the price for a mistake. End of story.

Do you know him? Did he wrong you or harm you?

As the himbo (Dan Cortese) said to George Costanza “step off”.

Pointing out other bad behavior is never a good argument . Everyone needs to be held accountable for their own crimes. Period.

Whatever. He made valid points, regardless of his school affiliation. Would you feel better if he put his hand on a Bible and disavowed any connection to said incidents or approval of them? Just love how some people will not consider a valid viewpoint because of where it comes from--textbook example of why things are so divided in today's world.

Shhhh......don't tell him where our new OL coach was once employed.

What happened to Woody when he did that?
I k ow what happened to Woody but the only reason he got fired was because it was on TV. He had been doing that shit for years, same with B Knight. A college will throw a kid under the bus but if a coach can win or is protected they will coach again. Look at Andy Reid’ son. Now don’t get me wrong the kids should be held accountable. Happy
i agree he should be held accountable, you say he is a loser, your opinion so I won’t say it wrong. My opinion is he made a mistake, hopefully he learns and right the ship👌🏾

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Pointing out other bad behavior is never a good argument . Everyone needs to be held accountable for their own crimes. Period.
Yep I agree everyone should be held accountable for their actions. I wonder how many people agree with accountability on this board but criticized TN fans when they wanted no parts of GS because of what happened at State Penn

We have to stretch to get them. And that will bite one in the ass sometimes. At least Greg has the courage to dump a bad guy before he embarrasses the program.
Yeah.. I thought of this with basketball and Duke, etc.. way back when. Coach K can take the best student-citizen-ballplayers with 4-5 stars. By the time we get to "win" competition for the 4-stars it is mostly down to athletes that are ballplayers and giant question-marks for the other 2.

Not that this is the case with young Mr. Johnson.

But Pike is proving that the difference is WINNING. Win more and you can find 4-star guys who are good people all the way around.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Yep I agree everyone should be held accountable for their actions. I wonder how many people agree with accountability on this board but criticized TN fans when they wanted no parts of GS because of what happened at State Penn
WTF dude!

Mike McQueary who DID NOT publicly report what he saw/heard in the showers and got a promotion out of it, made up a 3rd-party hearsay story to support his lawsuit for his dismissal. And he got.. what was it.. $6M or $12M out of his suit. Both GS and the coach McQueary said he heard it from saying it never happened.

We know what McQueary did and did not do after witnessing pedophile action in Penn State's showers. How is GS accountable for Sandusky's actions without this pathetically desperate story by McQueary?

Wow, if you really believe the reason TN fans didn't want Coach was the State Penn thing you may be the only one. Well maybe you and Sarah Huckabee. Not trying to get on your case but really?

WTF dude!

Mike McQueary who DID NOT publicly report what he saw/heard in the showers and got a promotion out of it, made up a 3rd-party hearsay story to support his lawsuit for his dismissal. And he got.. what was it.. $6M or $12M out of his suit. Both GS and the coach McQueary said he heard it from saying it never happened.

We know what McQueary did and did not do after witnessing pedophile action in Penn State's showers. How is GS accountable for Sandusky's actions without this pathetically desperate story by McQueary?
Where there smoke, there is fire?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT