ADVERTISEMENT

Left Tackle position and Grant's Health

BlockR

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 28, 2015
It appears RU tried multiple players at left tackle on offense after Cole left in second quarter.Vertman,Landsdorf came in and there were more then a few missed blocks and defensive players in the backfield on certain run plays to the left side. Hopefuly Cole can play at 100% vrs Nebraska because that could be a real problem going forward in B10 play.
Grant clearly has some sort of injury that looks to be upper body. After hard hits he asked out more then a few times and was doubled over on sidelines in what appeared to be favoring his shoulder or ribs.He was clearly upset on bench twice and trainers talked to him more then two different ocassions. It didnt appear to be his ankle or legs. Anyone else notice this by RU sidelines?

nahh..looked like his shoulder or ribs..they didnt do concussion protocol or exam..he was clearly in pain on any hard tackle..

Grant was walking around the sidelines in the 2nd half. Seemed to be in good spirits. I also thought he took a shot to the head but if he didn't get checked for a concussion that's a positive. He took a hard hit and came out. He went back in and took another one. After the 2nd he didn't come back in. Hopefully it was a coaching decision to keep him out rather than injury.

Actually B1G R Grant injured the upper area of his back when he landed after being hit... he was hit several times hard but that is typical when an athlete has no quit in him... he appeared to be sore but fine on the sideline... It was an opportunity to get Heeman... Vretman ... Krimin and especially Londdorf who to me will be a big plus in the next several years... this kid is just beginning to come into view... With Clark , Seymour , Jackson and Maietti... that depleted O line is starting to grow some depth... Blazek is a very good coach.

Did I miss something
I thought we ran the left side of the line very well and Kill exploited any opportunity he could. Isn't this the same side that Blackshear ran well and gained most of hid yardage? Seems to me the left guard and tackle were doing a good job.

It appears RU tried multiple players at left tackle on offense after Cole left in second quarter.Vertman,Landsdorf came in and there were more then a few missed blocks and defensive players in the backfield on certain run plays to the left side. Hopefuly Cole can play at 100% vrs Nebraska because that could be a real problem going forward in B10 play.
Grant clearly has some sort of injury that looks to be upper body. After hard hits he asked out more then a few times and was doubled over on sidelines in what appeared to be favoring his shoulder or ribs.He was clearly upset on bench twice and trainers talked to him more then two different ocassions. It didnt appear to be his ankle or legs. Anyone else notice this by RU sidelines?

I saw Grant come off field after a
Short punt that he picked up late. He seemed to be hurting then. Looked like he got twisted on the tackle.

Reactions: asgot
Coach speak..he clearly was in pain after any hard hits. A previous injury or something in yesterdays game,who knows?

Agreed. Unfortunately, you can't believe a single word coaches say when it comes to injury.

Grant was definitely in some discomfort ... after which Mitchell went in to field punts. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious.

Bolin is going to get someone killed. He throws these high lobs to the flats all the time. It's bad.
Was that one of the criticisms of Bolin pointed out by the Louisville intelligentsia when he transferred to Rutgers?

Hi BlockR. Hope you are having a nice day.

I think it might be concussion related.
He came out of the tunnel for the 2nd half with no Helmut.
Seems to me every time there is some sort of head issue the players Helmut disappears.

He did get banged up,hopefully he is ok. Personally I would not use him on KO returns due to the high speed collisions and the fact that touchbacks go to the 25. If it goes in the end zone I would tell the kids to not take it out. It seems to me most times a runner takes if from the endzone they don't get past the 20. I would save Grant for punt returns and some open space short passes.

Actually fielding punt returns is much dangerous... you are standing still awaiting the ball wth 5-6 guys running at you full speed... kickoff return is less dangerous for a guy such as Grant.

Actually fielding punt returns is much dangerous... you are standing still awaiting the ball wth 5-6 guys running at you full speed... kickoff return is less dangerous for a guy such as Grant.

But he is not running full speed at them. Better to hit a tree at 40 mph than another vehicle head-on both going 40 mph.

when I saw grant tackled hard on a play and ridden down, my first thought was a rib issue.. and that can linger.

Better to play with a helmet rather than a Helmut.
You got something against Helmut?
og-helmut-kohl-3836.jpg

Always better with a win.
Now, if the same Rutgers that played UW and Morgan State plays the Nebraska that played NIU, Chris Ash may notch his first B1G win. A lot has to happen and go right.
you are 100% spot on. Defense line has to supply pressure so Dbs are hung out there for extended time period.Turay needs some sacks,he was a no show against a lesser school Saturday.Offense line has to block at B10 level,so running game will work.They have a decent chance since Nebraska is struggling and feeling the pressure right now.

you are 100% spot on. Defense line has to supply pressure so Dbs are hung out there for extended time period.Turay needs some sacks,he was a no show against a lesser school Saturday.Offense line has to block at B10 level,so running game will work.They have a decent chance since Nebraska is struggling and feeling the pressure right now.

Was looking at Nebraska's box scores:
1. Almost lost to Arkansas State 43-36; Ark State is no pushover, but this is Nebraska. Ark State had more offensive yards than Nebraska-nearly 500 yards. Two turnovers killed Ark State.

2. Nebraska mounted a solid comeback against a good Oregon team. Nebraska threw 4 interceptions. Tanner Lee is at 5 TDs/7 Ints for this year, and he performed similarly in previous years. Oregon piled up 566 yards on offense.

3. Nebraska 388 yards to NIU 213 yards. Nebraska time of possession 36:34. But 3 Turnovers and 2 pick 6's and a missed field goal.

Fans tend to wallow in their own misery, and the EMU game was ugly. Can't get too excited about Morgan State, but it was nice to see Lewis get his feet wet.

My takeaways on Nebraska is they have a poor defense and QB who is prone to throwing interceptions.
RU's defense has not shown to be great, and the thin DL and linebacker corps is cause for worry. Oh, and we have a QB who is prone to throwing interceptions.
Should be a nail biter. The wild card will be if Nebraska starts a different QB and then all bets are off.

3. NIU was a weird game.

If RU can Run the ball for over 225 yards they will win the game.However,Nebraska was given up over 900 yards passing so far in three games...so the RU WRs have to step up their game.Establish a run game first and the passing game should be easier since Huskers have struggled so far this season in normal pass coverage,and if they are forced to put another guy in box to stop the run.....

Reactions: Knight Shift
Grant came out after a hard hit on a pass that Bolin threw too high. He was shaken up a bit, but came back in for a play or two right after that. Don't think he was on the field after that. He may have been hurting, but there was no need to have him in there for punt returns, when they were clearly kicking way from him and we were running the ball almost every play, so there wasn't much need for him to be in there anyway.

I think he got hurt on a punt return. The kick was short and towards the sideline it bounced a few times. Grant picked it up at the last minute and returned it for 10 yards or so. When he was tackled he was twisted to the turf. He stayed down for a short time. When he came off the field I said to my friend, he looks like he may be hurt I hope he's alright. Played some after that but I think it was the punt return that caused whatever problem he may have.
Just watched the replay it was with 925 left in the first half. Definately got banged up there.

Last edited:
If RU can Run the ball for over 225 yards they will win the game.However,Nebraska was given up over 900 yards passing so far in three games...so the RU WRs have to step up their game.Establish a run game first and the passing game should be easier since Huskers have struggled so far this season in normal pass coverage,and if they are forced to put another guy in box to stop the run.....

This. And our QB needs to step up in this one.

Congratulations. You win a trip to Nebraska. Have fun at the game, and hope RU comes back with the win.

Excellent. Always wanted to go to Nebraska for a second time.
Me thinks the Red team wins. And that team is from New Jersey . Jersey Strong.

Excellent. Always wanted to go to Nebraska for a second time.
Me thinks the Red team wins. And that team is from New Jersey . Jersey Strong.
Gosh, sure hope so. While I always want to be confident and positive, still not sure what we have after 3 games. The UW/Morgan team needs to show up. Will be interesting to see what Lewis does against B1G players. Go RU!

ADVERTISEMENT