ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Legalization of Marijuana in NJ

batts

All American
Jun 7, 2001
Christie's tenure is almost over, and Sweeney and other lawmakers are looking to legalize the sale of marijuana in the State. I think legalization following the Colorado model is a no brainer. It's no more dangerous than alcohol. It will bring in tremendous tax revenues. It will also remove a tremendous burden from police and the criminal justice system.

Talk amongst yourselves.

latest

Sorry, I don't know how to add an OT to the title. Otherwise, I would.

Never mind I fixed it. You have to access the little wrench near the top.

Last edited:
It will also remove a tremendous burden from police and the criminal justice system.

latest

Are you sure about that? On the other side of the Hudson is a city of 8+ million where possession and sale is still illegal. Drive down I-95 and on the other side of the Delaware there is a city of what, 2.5 million, where sale and possession is still illegal. I think you're setting up a situation you would be awash in smuggling rings and all their attendant violence. Colorado doesn't face that issue to anywhere near the same degree.

Are you sure about that? On the other side of the Hudson is a city of 8+ million where possession and sale is still illegal. Drive down I-95 and on the other side of the Delaware there is a city of what, 2.5 million, where sale and possession is still illegal. I think you're setting up a situation you would be awash in smuggling rings and all their attendant violence. Colorado doesn't face that issue to anywhere near the same degree.

Actually, by legalizing, we would cash in big time on all of that. It would become the new gambling. Not sure how the smuggling would cause problems here. It would cause far more problems in the destination cities.

But that'd be NY and PA's problem [smoke]

Good point but don't you think it's inevitable that those states will follow? I think seven states have it on the ballot this year. If NJ does it and is successful, the border states will follow

Actually, by legalizing, we would cash in big time on all of that. It would become the new gambling. Not sure how the smuggling would cause problems here. It would cause far more problems in the destination cities.

You som'b#tch, beat me by like two seconds :grimace:. But added a good point - NJ could have the best market in the country. Might even get us an invite to a conference of more powerful, likeminded markets. One day our best plants will compete with their best plants.

Not sure if that is a legit issue. The bigger issue is the fact legal marijuana businesses can't bank properly. Big security issue.

Reactions: RUshore99
i never smoked a cigarette, i guess i would of done all drugs if this was illegal 25 years ago. again its me but i would probably be dead right now because once you start you dont stop addictive behavior

It's not addictive though. Tobacco, however is.

Reactions: linzalonic
Christie's tenure is almost over, and Sweeney and other lawmakers are looking to legalize the sale of marijuana in the State. I think legalization following the Colorado model is a no brainer. It's no more far less dangerous than alcohol. It will bring in tremendous tax revenues. It will also remove a tremendous burden from police and the criminal justice system.
FIFY

I'm all for it. Got 6 acres on my property all ready for a legalized grower to rent out at premium prices. He'll have use of a 30' x 60' pole barn and I'll erect 10' high fences. My wife's animals will be shoved into the other 4 acres and the smaller 20' x 30' pole barn. Quiet though she doesn't know about my diabolical plan yet. :grimace:

I going out on a limb here and not looking this up to verify, but I'm pretty sure that marijuana (THC) is not physically addictive, but cigarettes (nicotine) is.

Reactions: linzalonic

It may cause more problems in the destination cities, but fight for control of the trade/traffic surely spill over into New Jersey.

It may cause more problems in the destination cities, but fight for control of the trade/traffic surely spill over into New Jersey.

If you live in NYC, you are going to travel to NJ to purchase it legally unless you are a dealer. If you are a smuggler-dealer, you will not be able to purchase sufficient quantities in NJ to sell in NY. The sale in NJ will be heavily regulated.

I guess I don't understand how smuggling issues would be a problem for NJ. Do you mean we'd have costs associated with preventing people from smuggling NJ grown pot out of state? If so, that seems minor compared to the costs of policing it's use, adjudicating those caught using it, and incarcerating those convicted of it's use. And on top of eliminating those costs, we would be able to tax the crap out of it, increasing state revenues.

Seems like a win to me.

Is it on the ballot this year? If passed I'm making a few more trips to NJ per year, that's for sure.

Reactions: batts
Philadelphia decriminalized possession under 1 ounce two years ago

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...ssession-laws-go-into-effect-in-philadelphia/

I have experience with the NJ medical marijuana program. It requires a doctor evaluation, registration & licensing, and an appointment with one of the four dispensaries in the state. You are allowed 1/2 ounce per month of natural bud (no edibles or concentrates) & all product is grown on site.

Expanding the existing program in place by just removing the prescription requirement would make so much money for the state while at the same time minimizing any risks that opponents bring up (underage purchase, smuggling, overdosing, etc)

I guess I don't understand how smuggling issues would be a problem for NJ. Do you mean we'd have costs associated with preventing people from smuggling NJ grown pot out of state? If so, that seems minor compared to the costs of policing it's use, adjudicating those caught using it, and incarcerating those convicted of it's use. And on top of eliminating those costs, we would be able to tax the crap out of it, increasing state revenues.

Seems like a win to me.

I think his point is, you would have a bunch of dealers/cartels descending on New Jersey to buy marijuana legally. When you get a bunch of drug dealers hanging around, the potential for violence goes up.

No, it's really not.

The only people who think pot is addictive are the people who have never really smoked pot.

It is. If you look at objective scientific studies (not pro-legalization one), there is some degree of addiction. It's not as bad as other drugs (even alcohol), but there is some degree of addiction.

Of course, the one thing everybody overlooks in all of this is that it's still against Federal law to buy or sell marijuana. I fail to see how some supporters (especially of certain political persuasions) reconcile the idea of letting the individual states violate Federal law at their own discretion.

I going out on a limb here and not looking this up to verify, but I'm pretty sure that marijuana (THC) is not physically addictive, but cigarettes (nicotine) is.

SIAP -- but you are correct. Nicotine is very addictive, particularly for teenagers and other late adolescents. That's why it's so important to cut tobacco use among the young.

As it pertains to "turf wars" I discount the whole thing. No one has ever controlled pot distribution other than with respect to a few blocks in the absolute worst areas of the inner cities. Pot is so easy to get already, I cannot imagine there being a significant drug ring element to it just because it is legalized. It is already available everywhere, and easy to grow, so no one really "controls" the pot trade in any sense of it as it is. With legalization, it will become even more impossible for a criminal element to control. It is completely different from heroin and coke in that sense.

I think his point is, you would have a bunch of dealers/cartels descending on New Jersey to buy marijuana legally. When you get a bunch of drug dealers hanging around, the potential for violence goes up.

It is. If you look at objective scientific studies (not pro-legalization one), there is some degree of addiction. It's not as bad as other drugs (even alcohol), but there is some degree of addiction.

Of course, the one thing everybody overlooks in all of this is that it's still against Federal law to buy or sell marijuana. I fail to see how some supporters (especially of certain political persuasions) reconcile the idea of letting the individual states violate Federal law at their own discretion.
You aren't going to have cartels/dealers coming to NJ. It's not like you can roll in and buy 10lbs.

It's working here in Denver. Dispensaries are popping up everywhere, even in top-end neighborhoods. i can walk 5-10 minutes in any direction and get the highest quality product in the world. One problem though is young of-legal-age adults buying and then selling to teenagers. There's high penalties for that but it seems to be happening anyway.

It's working here in Denver. Dispensaries are popping up everywhere, even in top-end neighborhoods. i can walk 5-10 minutes in any direction and get the highest quality product in the world. One problem though is young of-legal-age adults buying and then selling to teenagers. There's high penalties for that but it seems to be happening anyway.

Oh like liquor and beer?

This is one of those "might as well do it now cause it's happening eventually" sort of things.

I'd have no problem with this as long as it's properly regulated, and as others have said, the tax revenues would be a definite positive.

And if we're being honest, I doubt there are many on here, (although, of course, there are some who didn't "partake", and that's perfectly fine), who didn't share a joint on occasion when you were with your buds. -And while my personal experience with that wasn't in any way extensive, I never felt compelled to do more, nor did I see any hint of addiction in the guys in my group who indulged in a larger way than me. In fact, when that era, (if you want to call it that), had essentially run its course, we dropped using it completely with no issues at all.

Cigarettes, on the other hand...well, I've never been a smoker, but some of the guys I knew back in the day who began smoking "coffin nails" in their teens are still trying to kick that particular "habit".

The best part for politicians is if the whole state is high we won't notice the tax revenue helps no one. It won't build anything, fix anything, or help anyone. Like the bud it'll just be up in smoke.

I agree that marijuana should be legalized. Still, if I had a child or grandchild, I would try to discourage him or her from consuming a lot of marijuana. There are side-effects for some young people , and we probably don't know all of those side-effects. Moreover, today's marijuana is much purer than what most people on this board smoked, and so the side-effects are stronger today than they were. And, by the way, marijuana can be addictive, although this happens to only 10% of the smoking population. It's OK to smoke casually (sharing a joint), but I would caution against doing much more than that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT