ADVERTISEMENT

Legendary Mike Francesa rant about Franklin

Franklin is a jerk

Fixed it for you.

Franklin's own words about it condemn him. He brags about having his 4th team players in there and then he ran his second team FG block team out there? His headset should have been off and he should have been done. Just let it play out.

He could have used a late FG by Gstate to tell his defense they should have worked harder to keep them out of FG territory.

Franklin is a jerk.. has always been a jerk, will always be a jerk.

James Jerk Franklin.

And the cult is gonna cult. He's your jerk so everything he does is A-Okay just like everything that JoePA did.. or didn't do.. was A-Okay.. Success with Honor right? That is a friggin slogan that was never true. But cult is gonna cult.

The funny thing is the guy said disgruntled RU fan when Mike from Montclair brought it up. The guy who yelled at Christie about being on the beach when Christie was a host. Not a RU fan at all.

We hang 65 on conceivably the worst team in college football and play them tough till the very end of the 3rd quarter. Instead of taking a knee at the end of the game we run three mindless plays as if it was an ego boost for Morgan State.

Penn State on the other hand feel like they may have a real shot at a playoff birth this year so they didn't want Georgia State to score and Franklin is a jerk for not allowing them to score?

Funny how you say "we" when referring to RU, when most of your posts are pro PSU

How many top recruits does Franklin's actions and the Francesa's comments cost Penn State? Do any of those recruits commit to Rutgers? After all, that is really the only thing that counts. This is not about winning the right way, being a jerk, etc., it is simply about winning. We have won one game in our last 12 and Penn State is the reigning B1G champ and undefeated. If the fortunes were reversed this board would be killing Francesa and defending our coach. Why, because winning is all that matters at this level of football, grow up and start holding the administration accountable.
Excellent post and frankly very true.

Reactions: jerseylion109
We hang 65 on conceivably the worst team in college football and play them tough till the very end of the 3rd quarter. Instead of taking a knee at the end of the game we run three mindless plays as if it was an ego boost for Morgan State.

Penn State on the other hand feel like they may have a real shot at a playoff birth this year so they didn't want Georgia State to score and Franklin is a jerk for not allowing them to score?

um, yes. Especially since he refused to admit why he did call the time out.

The field goal would have absolutely no impact on PSU making the playoffs.

You should really change your handle to PSU31trap.

No crap. That Trap guy is the biggest PSU fanboy on here. I honestly don't know why he spends time on a Rutgers message board.

How many top recruits does Franklin's actions and the Francesa's comments cost Penn State? Do any of those recruits commit to Rutgers? After all, that is really the only thing that counts. This is not about winning the right way, being a jerk, etc., it is simply about winning. We have won one game in our last 12 and Penn State is the reigning B1G champ and undefeated. If the fortunes were reversed this board would be killing Francesa and defending our coach. Why, because winning is all that matters at this level of football, grow up and start holding the administration accountable.

That's fine and I agree 100%. My problem therein lies with PSU alumni and fan base who refuse to own the above highlighted point. They still want to beat their chests and say they do things "the right way" while the Ohio States and Florida States of the world are scumbags. Yeah, maybe you did things the right way in the 70's and 80's relative to your competition. But since joining the B1G PSU has turned just as scummy as the programs their fans and alumni rip on. Just own it and say "we are just like every other football factory" and you won't get as much flak from people when stuff like this and the Graber/Paterno incident occur. Just own it and say "yes, we were trying to preserve the shutout to impress the playoff committee." That's why Francessa went off the way he did. He knows what Franklin was trying to do. Anyone who watches college football knows what he was trying to do. Franklin looks like a stooge lying to the media about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: sherepower
I would expect Ash to do the same thing if our kids worked the entire game for a shutout and the opposing jackass coach decided to try a field goal on the last play of the game in a blow out...especially if it's because we had our third string walk ons doing mop up duty for the regulars

why would the opposing coach be a jackass for trying to score? Ash isn't petty enough to play mind games in such a situation.

I may disagree with the premise of this thread and disagree with some of the things being written but I do my absolute best to never attack another poster. People can disagree without making things personal and spewing out nonsensical attacks on individuals for having a difference of opinion. This is beneath us as a fan base. I have been a Rutgers fan for over 30 years, and yes I'm also a Penn State fan, so what!! This is not an anomaly, as a matter of fact it's always been the case in NJ. I've been to Beaver stadium several times, once with my daughter who was wearing a Rutgers sweat shirt and never were we harassed, ridiculed, put down or had anything thrown at us, as a matter of fact we were treated with respect. It should be noted that we also conducted ourselves in a respectful manner.

Back to the subject of Franklin icing the Georgia State kicker being a bone of contention for some on this board. Thoroughly beating down the worst football team in college football who were undersized and out manned 65-0 is also a bit over the top.

Last edited:
I may disagree with the premise of this thread and disagree with some of the things being written but I do my absolute best to never attack another poster. People can disagree without making things personal and spewing out nonsensical attacks on individuals for having a difference of opinion. This is beneath us as a fan base. I have been a Rutgers fan for over 30 years, and yes I'm also a Penn State, so what!! This is not an anomaly, as a matter of fact it's always been the case in NJ. I've been to Beaver stadium several times, once with my daughter who was wearing a Rutgers sweat shirt and never were we harassed, ridiculed, put down or had anything thrown at us, as a matter of fact we were treated with respect. It should be noted that we also conducted ourselves in a respectful manner.

Back to the subject of Franklin icing the Georgia State kicker being a bone of contention for some on this board. Thoroughly beating down the worst football team in college football who were undersized and out manned 65-0 is also a bit over the top.
You weren't harassed for wearing Rutgers gear because PSU fans looked down their nose at you and pitied you.

Both teams were in blow out games this week and one chose to ice the opposing kicker with 15 seconds left in the game. It's really as simple as that.

The S in PSU stands for sodomy. Lets drop it.. P-U stinks and so does their coach JJ.. James the Jerk

Last edited:
I may disagree with the premise of this thread and disagree with some of the things being written but I do my absolute best to never attack another poster. People can disagree without making things personal and spewing out nonsensical attacks on individuals for having a difference of opinion. This is beneath us as a fan base. I have been a Rutgers fan for over 30 years, and yes I'm also a Penn State, so what!! This is not an anomaly, as a matter of fact it's always been the case in NJ. I've been to Beaver stadium several times, once with my daughter who was wearing a Rutgers sweat shirt and never were we harassed, ridiculed, put down or had anything thrown at us, as a matter of fact we were treated with respect. It should be noted that we also conducted ourselves in a respectful manner.

I personally don't like anything about Pen St, but, I do know quite a few people who root for both RU and Pen St.
It's usually RU alums or RU fans from NJ who have kids at Pen St.

Thoroughly beating down the worst football team in college football who were undersized and out manned 65-0 is also a bit over the top.

But we ll know JJ would have made it 72-0 because that looked better.. would have called a playaction pass or a pass off a fake kneel down and then made and excuse.. "Hey, we were on the 5 yard line and I had my 4th string QB in there.. I had to let him play.." or like JoePA said when he had his guys beat the spread with a bomb.. "I didn't call a pass play there.. ".. McQueary... cult is gonna cult.. success with honor my ass.

Once I started taking my son to games I gave them up. Bringing a little boy on that campus isn't much different than letting him sleep at Michael Jackson's House. No sane parent would allow either.

I'm glad that you finally stopped giving that school more money to help fund their legal defense issues.

I may disagree with the premise of this thread and disagree with some of the things being written but I do my absolute best to never attack another poster. People can disagree without making things personal and spewing out nonsensical attacks on individuals for having a difference of opinion. This is beneath us as a fan base. I have been a Rutgers fan for over 30 years, and yes I'm also a Penn State fan, so what!! This is not an anomaly, as a matter of fact it's always been the case in NJ. I've been to Beaver stadium several times, once with my daughter who was wearing a Rutgers sweat shirt and never were we harassed, ridiculed, put down or had anything thrown at us, as a matter of fact we were treated with respect. It should be noted that we also conducted ourselves in a respectful manner.

The one time I attended a game in beaver stadium, in the late 80s, (wearing Rutgers gear) I heard "FU" more times than I can count. So I call BS on your nice story.

I usually respond to your posts harshly, but I'll try to be respectful here.

The problem for the board is you've had three different versions:
  • Trap 1.0 consistently put down Rutgers while strongly denying being a PSU fan.
  • You then accidentally outed yourself during the game last year, admitted you were a hardcore PSU fan, and went all out attacking Rutgers and celebrating everything PSU.
  • Now we're on Trap 3.0 where you're back to referring to Rutgers as "us" or "we" but still attacking it at every opportunity.
I think I speak for most of "us" when I say we respected Trap 2.0 the most... the honest poster who did not act like a Rutgers fan.

Rutgers ran 3 plays with walk on's and a 4th was Allen basically standing there and getting tackled, Ash also allowed a 5 yard delay penalty that moved the ball back to the 8.

RU didn't attempt a pass in the 4th Qtr. PSU was still passing well into the 4th.

There is no comparison in approach by the 2 staffs.

I think Ash probably should have lightened up and emptied out the bench against helpless Morgan State sooner. But icing the kicker of a similarly outmanned and outmatched team when it's 56-0 is a complete douche move, and I'm sure most Penn State fans would admit that in a neutral environment.

I'm not one to complain about running up the score, I'd rather get hammered than be pitied. But even so, it was graceless...

Post / like ratio does not apply here, Jefro52 is suspect due to his dullness.

REally. Do you have a problem with your jackass coach running it up vs MOrgan state? Maybe you prefer the 78-0 loss. I guess that is taking the high road.

With the exception of a screen pass late in the 3rd qtr, for the last 20 minutes RU ran between the tackles with their 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th string RB. They played the 3rd and 4th QB behind the 2nd and 3rd string OLers. Other than pulling people from the stands they called the dogs off as much as they could.

Nice try moron.

3752304-8261840831-i1BEi.gif

Is that what RU did vs Morgan State?

I don't know, I'm not a Rutgers guy and have no insight into what Coach Ash was doing. I already stated my opinion that I thought the bench should have been emptied sooner. But he definitely handled a similar situation with more grace than Franklin did.

I'm sure you know it was a classless move, not sure why you see fit to come to another team's board and dispute it. Nothing wrong with admitting that it wasn't cool.

Reactions: knightfan7
I am sure Morgan State appreciated that. 65-0

Weren't you crying about Harbaugh when his 3rd and 4th string did the same thing?

Nope. That was all on RU and their poorly designed and executed game plan/offense.

If a team clears the bench and runs the same 1-2-3 plays over and over for the last 20+ minutes there's nothing else they can do.

Reactions: ScarletNut
So the GA State coach thought it was important to kick a field goal down 56 to avoid being shut out, but Franklin is a stooge and a horses ass for thinking its important to preserve the shut out?

That's fine and I agree 100%. My problem therein lies with PSU alumni and fan base who refuse to own the above highlighted point. They still want to beat their chests and say they do things "the right way" while the Ohio States and Florida States of the world are scumbags. Yeah, maybe you did things the right way in the 70's and 80's relative to your competition. But since joining the B1G PSU has turned just as scummy as the programs their fans and alumni rip on. Just own it and say "we are just like every other football factory" and you won't get as much flak from people when stuff like this and the Graber/Paterno incident occur. Just own it and say "yes, we were trying to preserve the shutout to impress the playoff committee." That's why Francessa went off the way he did. He knows what Franklin was trying to do. Anyone who watches college football knows what he was trying to do. Franklin looks like a stooge lying to the media about it.
Didn't Rutgers have multiple players arrested at practice a few years ago? All Franklin did was call timeout.

So the GA State coach thought it was important to kick a field goal down 56 to avoid being shut out, but Franklin is a stooge and a horses ass for thinking its important to preserve the shut out?
Preserving the shut out by blocking the kick is another thing entirely. But if you don't think icing the kicker in a 56 - 0 game is being a douche bag, there's just no point arguing with you cultists. And spare me the excuse Franklin used, the facts show otherwise.

Didn't Rutgers have multiple players arrested at practice a few years ago? All Franklin did was call timeout.

What does one have to do with the other? He called timeout to block a FG and/or ice a kicker up 56-0 against a hapless Sun Belt school. Then proceeded to lie about why he did it. Dude in this post said he thinks it's because that FG if made would influence the playoff committee to not take Penn State. If that's the case, Franklin should just say that. Not insult the CFB world with lame excuses. Georgia State kicking a FG to avoid a shutout won't keep PSU out of the playoff. Losing to Michigan by 40 however would do just that.

Last edited:
Preserving the shut out by blocking the kick is another thing entirely. But if you don't think icing the kicker in a 56 - 0 game is being a douche bag, there's just no point arguing with you cultists. And spare me the excuse Franklin used, the facts show otherwise.
What facts? The fact that he called timeout and subbed almost all the players out of the game?

Summary of his press conference statement a few minutes ago.

To be very clear, JF was not icing Georgia State. Had 4th-team defense with some 3s on the field. Never have had a 4th-team FG block in his 23 years. They didn't know how to line up. Recommendation to get second team in there. Called time out. Got second team in there. Kris Petersen has sent him some things. People say they should just let the other team kick it through the uprights when up 56-0. If that's how you feel, you won't ever understand JF. First game, last game, losing or winning, raining or sunny, they're going to fight for every inch on the field, yard, second on the clock. They're going to fight. A standard to how they do things. If ppl think they shouldn't block the kick at the end of the game bc of score, then you probably won't understand them. There's a standard on the football field and in life. A bad day? Still have to go again tomorrow. Something bad happen? You have to go home and be a good husband/father. It's PSU's job to keep them out of the end zone; it's their job to score. It's become a thing but that's really it is. A standard and it'll be that way today and for as long as JF is here.

Reactions: RobBliz and bdur76

Didn't a Penn State coach bugger little boys and the head coach and administration attempted to cover it up? Yea I see your point Franklin trying to ice a kicker in a 56 point blow out is meaningless.

ADVERTISEMENT