ADVERTISEMENT

Leonard/Mulcahy/Martinek/Burton--February 9

I went to the Essex county chapter's dinner earlier in the week, I go almost every year. A few years ago Brian Leonard was on the dais, and someone asked him if he preferred Pro or College Football. He replied he would have stayed at Rutgers and played for 20 years if he could. What a rep for RU !
I met Rick Mantz at this years and got to speak with him privately after the speakers were done, he was great, gave me his card and invited me to any practice or scrimmage I wanted to come to .
Byrce Salvador, NHL was a good speaker this year on Concussions, Lou Lamorello, etc. A lot of sports writers are there, and of course High School coaches.
I learned at the one this past week, that Caldwell University has started up a 'Sprint Football' team, 177 pound limit, and will be playing the Service Academies, IVYs and others. First year.

Abro or others,
Do you see Ash,at some point,offering Brian at position in the football program ?

Man this is tempting. Would be a great night. But its a long drive from Freehold to Morristown and the weather can be unpredictable on Feb 9. I'll probably reluctantly pass on this but for those of you that live within 1/2 hour it seems like a no-brainer.

I went to the Essex county chapter's dinner earlier in the week, I go almost every year. A few years ago Brian Leonard was on the dais, and someone asked him if he preferred Pro or College Football. He replied he would have stayed at Rutgers and played for 20 years if he could. What a rep for RU !
I met Rick Mantz at this years and got to speak with him privately after the speakers were done, he was great, gave me his card and invited me to any practice or scrimmage I wanted to come to .
Byrce Salvador, NHL was a good speaker this year on Concussions, Lou Lamorello, etc. A lot of sports writers are there, and of course High School coaches.
I learned at the one this past week, that Caldwell University has started up a 'Sprint Football' team, 177 pound limit, and will be playing the Service Academies, IVYs and others. First year.

Post, Madison, Chestnut Hill, and Franklin Pierce also have sprint not just the academies and Ivys. Heard Rider was considering an addition of Sprint also.

Abro or others,
Do you see Ash,at some point,offering Brian at position in the football program ?

Just noticed your post. When I talked to Brian Leonard a couple of years ago at the function in West Orange , I asked him what he thought he would wind up doing once his playing career was over, hoping to hear that maybe coaching was a consideraton,
but he said he was interested in acquiring some franchises. He wasn't specific what kind. He never mentioned coaching was a thought. He was with Kevin Malast at this dinner, I wound up talking to him more about RU wrestling and high school wrestling than anything else, since Kevin was a terrific HS wrestler. Both Brian and Kevin were both very friendly outgoing with good senses of humor.

Here is a funny tidbit from the same organization's function I went to last week . They introduced Larry Berra (Zappaa's brother , Yogi's son) he attends this every year and sits with some of the Triupucka guys. So the guy MC'ing it says over the Mic to Larry something like 'hey Larry, when's Dale going to show up and be on the panel , he's keep's promising and then something always comes up and he can't make it. ' Larry replied something to the effect that he's busy driving his daughters to practices. It got a chuckle from the audience. Seemed like it might have been a running joke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT