ADVERTISEMENT

Les Miles to Coach Next Year; Agrees to Decrease LSU Buyout by $5 Million

Sounds like he is throwing his hat back into the coaching ring.

How do we handicap a Les Miles vs Greg Schiano hire for RU? Which guy would RU fans want as our next HC?

Last edited:
Reactions: RUin2WIN
What was preventing him from moving on in the first place? I don't get it. Obviously, it depends on what was in the contract but usually if you get a new job that salary offsets what your old employer pays you. I'm not sure why this was necessary but I'm guessing he finally must be close to something if he's doing it now.

Reactions: ATIOH and vkj91
If any of our fans chose Schiano over Miles then they need their heads examined.

That would be a complete waste of a perfectly good head examination.

Miles may be headed for Kansas, which is good for them and sad for us. We lose out on a great opportunity (again, i.e. Mullen in '13) because we're stuck with the wrong tool for the job for another year.

What was preventing him from moving on in the first place? I don't get it. Obviously, it depends on what was in the contract but usually if you get a new job that salary offsets what your old employer pays you. I'm not sure why this was necessary but I'm guessing he finally must be close to something if he's doing it now.

I thought the issue was that to get the $6.5M he needed to stay on the sidelines until 2023 given how the money was paid out. Instead he takes a lump sum of $1.5M and signs a contract with Kansas that will certainly make up the $5MM and then some over the life of the deal. Probably could have done at any point but this must indicate he close to a deal with Kansas. Just needed a willing suitor.

I thought the issue was that to get the $6.5M he needed to stay on the sidelines until 2023 given how the money was paid out. Instead he takes a lump sum of $1.5M and signs a contract with Kansas that will certainly make up the $5MM and then some over the life of the deal. Probably could have done at any point but this must indicate he close to a deal with Kansas. Just needed a willing suitor.
Maybe but I never read that anywhere. It's not the usual convention but any contract can be an exception. Usually it's like what you see with Strong/USF/Texas....he still got paid by Texas for the life of his contract but that was offset by any salary USF gave him. That's why they paid him 1M initially which reduced Texas' payout by 1M and then when that contract ran its course, USF bumped his salary to 2.5M.

That's usually how it would work and I thought Miles would be the same and I hadn't read anything saying it was different but maybe it was.

He has probably has a verbal agreement to coach at Kansas.

Could be. Or is the Kansas news more or less a way to let everyone know that Miles is open to other opportunities as well?

Why not evaluate schools other than Kansas?

See what I said was right. It sounds like a psychological thing more than an issue with the contract. His contract was set up just like any other according to this. It doesn't even sound like for sure something is lined up...although you'd think it would be. I've always said he seems very desperate to be a HC and you could probably get him cheaply too if for a change an AD was smart enough not to overpay.

From the article:

This move by the coach seems like an announcement to the college football world: I’m open for business, fellas. He’s ready to work again, prepared to run out of some tunnel and win some damn games with a dern strong team, as he might say. LSU was on the hook for, roughly, $1.6 million a year for the next four years. That would have been offset with any new salary. If Miles took a job for a $1 million salary, LSU would pay $500,000. If a new job paid him $2 million a year, LSU would owe him nothing.

In a way, the buyout prevented Miles from pursuing jobs that would pay him less than $1.6 million. He’s making that amount while sitting on the couch anyhow. And if he did take a job that paid him more than $1.6 million, well, the university that canned him would get off scot-free the rest of the way. So, Miles took the $1.5 million check, and the school quickly wrote it, because this is a good thing for them, of course. In the end, LSU paid a total buyout of about $4.5 million to fire the coach—instead of $9.5 million.

For Miles, there is only one problem with leaving that $5 million on the table: What if he doesn’t get another job? That’s why this move is so Les Miles. This is a coach, remember, who attempted five fourth downs in a single game one night. He’s called for more fake field goals than you’ve got fingers. In the 2016 season opener against Wisconsin, after an offseason spent promising to overhaul his old-school offense, he ran a toss dive behind center—a figurative middle finger to his athletic director watching from a suite above Lambeau Field. Les Miles is bold and on Thursday he proved it more than ever, giving his former employer—of all people—an early Christmas present.

This is a roll of the dice, a push-all-your-chips-to-the-middle move, but this is Les Miles, the way he always has been and the way he'll always be. He's a gambler, and he just bet heavy on himself.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/11/15/les-miles-lsu-buyout-kansas-colorado-coaching-search

I think Less Miles taking over a cellar dweller like Kansas is interesting. Is he going to turn it around, or
Ifail miserably like Charlie Weiss? Kansas is a boneyard for coaches.
They have a lot less talent to work with than we do.Right now though they are better than us.Les Miles could be good enough to get them in the top 20. Although if you hire a proven coach like les Mikes and he fails that could be the sign you are NEVER getting it done! Schiano got it done here. I'll take him.

I think Less Miles taking over a cellar dweller like Kansas is interesting. Is he going to turn it around, or
Ifail miserably like Charlie Weiss? Kansas is a boneyard for coaches.
They have a lot less talent to work with than we do.Right now though they are better than us.Les Miles could be good enough to get them in the top 20. Although if you hire a proven coach like les Mikes and he fails that could be the sign you are NEVER getting it done! Schiano got it done here. I'll take him.
I also don't see how Kansas is a fit for LM...It is one thing to get the best talent in a talent rich state to come to the top school in the state. But, where is he going to get talent to go to Kansas?

I also don't see how Kansas is a fit for LM...It is one thing to get the best talent in a talent rich state to come to the top school in the state. But, where is he going to get talent to go to Kansas?

Maybe he doesn't have to.

The parallels between Kansas and Rutgers are pretty distinct. You've got dozens of people on this board begging for Schiano to come back - hell, somebody up there ^ just said he'd rather have Schiano than Miles! "Schiano got it done here", they say.

Schiano had a .500 record over 10 years, never finished better than 3rd in the conference and never beat West Virginia. If Kansas fans are setting the same sort of bar then Miles doesn't have to set the world on fire, he just has to Do a Gary.

Everyone assumes Kansas but he could have been announced already if he was the one. Sounds like Long is still out at the very least doing due diligence. So he's probably in the running but I wouldn't say for sure he's going to get that job.

If that SI article above has any credence, maybe he's opening himself up for G5 jobs now after being out for 2 years, if he can't secure a P5 one. Maybe a Bowling Green from his native Ohio or something like that.

Les Miles was never going to coach the 2019 Rutgers football program in my opinion.
I'm sure this deal to decrease the LSU buyout is a direct result of Les' agent finding a spot for him to land and Rutgers isn't that place
Rutgers won't buy out Ash and the excuses for this disastrous season is already in place to hand out when explaining why her was retained. ( again just my opinion without facts to back it up).

In 2020 Rutgers might dump Ash and I'm sure the anti Schiano crowd will find others to compare him to when talking about possible candidates.
Just seeing Greg's name come up in this thread makes me feel that way.:p

By the way: Miles would make a better hire, but still would need support from the Rutgers Administration to fund the football program in the way needed to make it a winning program.
Schiano was backed fairly well and that's why he was able to take Rutgers bopwling on a constant bases ( in 5th season) after building RU's football program into a respectably one from the joke it was.
But he never reached the expectations of greatness he gave RU fans and that's why it was best he left.
Only Rutgers ineptness in hiring his replacement and failure to financially commit what it takes to make a winner makes Schiano loks like one of the top candidates to replace Ash.

If RU went the on the cheap route, Greg would be one of the top ones RU should look at.
Paying fair market value would make Miles a better choice and there would be other great candidates in the mix..

Last edited:
See what I said was right. It sounds like a psychological thing more than an issue with the contract. His contract was set up just like any other according to this. It doesn't even sound like for sure something is lined up...although you'd think it would be. I've always said he seems very desperate to be a HC and you could probably get him cheaply too if for a change an AD was smart enough not to overpay.

From the article:

This move by the coach seems like an announcement to the college football world: I’m open for business, fellas. He’s ready to work again, prepared to run out of some tunnel and win some damn games with a dern strong team, as he might say. LSU was on the hook for, roughly, $1.6 million a year for the next four years. That would have been offset with any new salary. If Miles took a job for a $1 million salary, LSU would pay $500,000. If a new job paid him $2 million a year, LSU would owe him nothing.

In a way, the buyout prevented Miles from pursuing jobs that would pay him less than $1.6 million. He’s making that amount while sitting on the couch anyhow. And if he did take a job that paid him more than $1.6 million, well, the university that canned him would get off scot-free the rest of the way. So, Miles took the $1.5 million check, and the school quickly wrote it, because this is a good thing for them, of course. In the end, LSU paid a total buyout of about $4.5 million to fire the coach—instead of $9.5 million.

For Miles, there is only one problem with leaving that $5 million on the table: What if he doesn’t get another job? That’s why this move is so Les Miles. This is a coach, remember, who attempted five fourth downs in a single game one night. He’s called for more fake field goals than you’ve got fingers. In the 2016 season opener against Wisconsin, after an offseason spent promising to overhaul his old-school offense, he ran a toss dive behind center—a figurative middle finger to his athletic director watching from a suite above Lambeau Field. Les Miles is bold and on Thursday he proved it more than ever, giving his former employer—of all people—an early Christmas present.

This is a roll of the dice, a push-all-your-chips-to-the-middle move, but this is Les Miles, the way he always has been and the way he'll always be. He's a gambler, and he just bet heavy on himself.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/11/15/les-miles-lsu-buyout-kansas-colorado-coaching-search
"This is a coach, remember, who attempted five fourth downs in a single game one night. He’s called for more fake field goals than you’ve got fingers."
And we have this:
Chris+Ash+Michigan+v+Rutgers+7R791R1p0FEl.jpg

Reactions: JMORC2003
I love Schiano with all my heart, but I gotta go with Miles ten times out of ten on this one. It would send a shock wave through the BIG. We can dream, right?

The news is nothing but posturing. He’s putting himself out there, good work by his agent. A lot like the GS I’m a changed man article that came out a few years ago.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I love Schiano with all my heart, but I gotta go with Miles ten times out of ten on this one. It would send a shock wave through the BIG. We can dream, right?

The news is nothing but posturing. He’s putting himself out there, good work by his agent. A lot like the GS I’m a changed man article that came out a few years ago.
I don't know that it's posturing in the sense that he could be potentially giving up real money if he doesn't have something lined up. Common sense would make you think he does but it's also the mad hatter too so who knows.

For a P5 job I don't think it would matter as he would likely make at least as much as what he was owed by LSU. But sometimes these contracts have clauses about getting a similar type job or something of similar status I think and while that might not be an issue for a P5 job...maybe it could be for a G5 salary and maybe that's why the lump sum payment. Outside of that possibility I don't really see the practical reason for giving up the money.

Here's a thought....
How about hire Les Miles as HC at RU and Greg Schiano as his DC/Recruiting Director.
One can only dream but GS ego won't allow it.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Here's a thought....
How about hire Les Miles as HC at RU and Greg Schiano as his DC/Recruiting Director.
One can only dream but GS ego won't allow it.

It would make for some impossible chemistry but it's still a pretty nice thought.

In this hypothetical world we have going on here: I just don't see how Les Miles accepts an offer to coach for Rutgers.

Les is entering his twilight years of coaching and he would (most likely) demand a program that backs him, the team, and the athletics dept 1000%. Is anyone here seeing any kind of guaranteed security for this situation to come true?

My impression of Les is that he would go to an established but "down-year" type program that needs a jolt via splashy HC who knows what he's doing. Les isn't in this game to rebuild a program from ashes at this point in his career. The man has nothing to prove. His record says it all.

Reactions: Knight Shift
In this hypothetical world we have going on here: I just don't see how Les Miles accepts an offer to coach for Rutgers.

Les is entering his twilight years of coaching and he would (most likely) demand a program that backs him, the team, and the athletics dept 1000%. Is anyone here seeing any kind of guaranteed security for this situation to come true?

My impression of Les is that he would go to an established but "down-year" type program that needs a jolt via splashy HC who knows what he's doing. Les isn't in this game to rebuild a program from ashes at this point in his career. The man has nothing to prove. His record says it all.

Sadly, I can't disagree with any of this.

He's been turned down left and right. He's been mentioned for Oregon State/Purdue in the past and nothing. He himself said he got no response at all from SEC schools that were filling jobs recently.

I don't think it has anything to do with "something to prove" and more to do with coaching is in his blood like it is for some coaches and he wants to be a HC. If anything the forgoing of money may mean he might even be willing to settle for something less than the P5. I've mentioned this before but many championship coaches and similar coach at places you wouldn't think of for the opportunity to continue to be a HC. Dennis Erickson at Oregon State/ASU, Larry Coker UTSA, Butch Davis FIU, Gene Chizik DC at UNC....

I don't think it's about proving anything or money or what not, they've all done it....it's just the opportunity to continue to be a HC.

Reactions: Wolv RU

I don't think Les Miles would be building a program from square one...We have always said that RU just needs a HC that can get the NJ kids to stay home and we'd be pretty good...consistently.
This would be a final test to see if college football in NJ would work...or NJ kids just want to leave NJ....not this "we will come if you win" bull crap from NJ coaches and players.
If we had a WOW HC ...would we get the recruits to sign?...not just SAY..."It would be nice to play in from of family and friends"...and then go sign with PSU and MICH

While Les Miles sold a house in baton Rouge in 2016, he bought a new one in 2017. That's his home. His kids grew up there, so he said. So this move could be for local PR as much as anything else.. especially if he knows he would get a job that would cancel some of the payments anyway. I don't know if he or his family owns any local businesses.. restaurant/bar, etc.

I think opportunity cost enters into all such decisions, but Miles>>Schiano at same price. Though we know GS knows how to recruit here.. I would make them tell me what their plans to recruit are and compare them. There would also have to be a way to gauge them both on commitment... would this just be a short term thing for them? If successful, how long would each stay on?

RU is a very difficult coaching job. Much like Kansas, a graveyard for coaches. LSU got great talent before, during, and after Les Miles. Comparing his record at LSU to Schiano's at RU is foolhardy to say the least. Enough with the idiotic "he never beat WVU" crap. Miles is 65 years old. How much time does he have to oversee a rebuild? Better than what we have? Absolutely. Could he recruit NJ successfully when he doesn't have the LSU name on his shirt? I don't know.

Reactions: ATIOH
While Les Miles sold a house in baton Rouge in 2016, he bought a new one in 2017. That's his home. His kids grew up there, so he said. So this move could be for local PR as much as anything else.. especially if he knows he would get a job that would cancel some of the payments anyway. I don't know if he or his family owns any local businesses.. restaurant/bar, etc.

I think opportunity cost enters into all such decisions, but Miles>>Schiano at same price. Though we know GS knows how to recruit here.. I would make them tell me what their plans to recruit are and compare them. There would also have to be a way to gauge them both on commitment... would this just be a short term thing for them? If successful, how long would each stay on?

All good points. Surprised that some here feel that Miles may have trouble landing a P5 HC job.

114-34 at LSU (62-28 SEC) and a national championship in 2007. That’s some serious winning in the SEC and nationally.

Hobbs should give him a call. Today is not too soon.

All good points. Surprised that some here feel that Miles may have trouble landing a P5 HC job.

114-34 at LSU (62-28 SEC) and a national championship in 2007. That’s some serious winning in the SEC and nationally.

Hobbs should give him a call. Today.
I don't feel it, it's a fact. He's been passed over again and again over the past 2 years and himself said he got no response at all to feelers he put out for SEC schools that had openings recently. He may finally get one this year but we'll see.

I see people on two ends of the spectrum one who thinks he's a home run and the other think he's too old and past it and had the LSU name behind him. I'm in the middle on him and have said just like with Ash (not even my list at the time)..if the coach has a resume worthy of an opportunity I'm okaywith it. Les obviously does....big questions for me are the staff he can put together after being out for 2 years and if he's really changed his philosophy on offense like he said he has.

If Miles ends up at Kansas everyone will see why no one has hired him in the last few years, but at least it will silence this board.

Reactions: ATIOH
I don't feel it, it's a fact. He's been passed over again and again over the past 2 years and himself said he got no response at all to feelers he put out for SEC schools that had openings recently. He may finally get one this year but we'll see.

I see people on two ends of the spectrum one who thinks he's a home run and the other think he's too old and past it and had the LSU name behind him. I'm in the middle on him and have said just like with Ash (not even my list at the time)..if the coach has a resume worthy of an opportunity I'm okaywith it. Les obviously does....big questions for me are the staff he can put together after being out for 2 years and if he's really changed his philosophy on offense like he said he has.

Are you saying that RU, if motivated, could potentially swoop in and hire Les Miles as our HC for 2019? If so then Hobbs needs to call his agent and see if Miles will interview w RU at the end of the season (one week away.) If we are confident that we can hire him then we owe that to our fans. Also would want the top RU Boosters to meet with him, not just Hobbs.

Think about it. Our top RU Booster is capable of running a division of a large multinational technology company, Motorola, yet Rutgers is incapable of scratching the surface of running a FB program.

Are you saying that RU, if motivated, could potentially swoop in and hire Les Miles as our HC for 2019? If so then Hobbs needs to call his agent and see if Miles will interview w RU at the end of the season (one week away.) If we are confident that we can hire him then we owe that to our fans. Also would want the top RU Boosters to meet with him, not just Hobbs.

Think about it. Our top RU Booster is capable of running a division of a large multinational technology company, Motorola, yet Rutgers is incapable of running a FB program.
I think so if we were to let Ash go sure it's a realistic possibility. People seem to be intimidated by his accomplishment and name and think we're just lowly R..... pffft why would he deign to look in our directions and on its face that seems reasonable but I've given the examples in the past of championship coaches and others who go to "lowly" destinations. I've also showed the articles about Miles continuing to be passed over and his desperation to be a HC. If those reports are accurate I don't see why he wouldn't be realistic for us. If he's open to Kansas and has been linked to Oregon State and been passed by just about everyone else why wouldn't we be in the picture as well if we had an opening.

I have no inside info, I'm just joe schmoe nobody that reads the stuff out there that's all and if those accounts are true why wouldn't he be realistic. If anything I wonder if this lump sum contract settlement means he's turned a page and now willing to go to the G5 if nothing materializes for him in the P5 this year.

The same place he got the talent to start the Oklahoma State build... Texas. With two trips into Texas every year, he should be able to lure some top talent out of the state. Oklahoma State had 11 losing seasons in the previous 12 (47-84-3 over those years) before Les Miles took over and went 4-7, 8-5, 9-4, and 7-5 before leaving for LSU. Oklahoma State has had only one losing season since he left although this year might be the second.

Last edited:
Everyone talks about his record at LSU, which is clearly outstanding. But don't forget, prior to that he was 28-21 at Oklahoma State. They had 1 winning record in the prior decade. Of course, he was 18 years younger.

I wish he would come here, it would be a game changer.

But, I wouldn't hold my breath on any change being made.

Les Miles is 65 and looks 75. Where ever he goes it’s might work for a year or two but that team will be looking for a new coach in 3-5 years.

Les Miles would likely both bring excitement and leave the program 4-5 years from now in a significantly better place than he found it. That's enough for me at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT