ADVERTISEMENT

Les Miles to Coach Next Year; Agrees to Decrease LSU Buyout by $5 Million

It’s time to fix the problem. Les is a bandaid.

Problem statement: the program has less money than its league and P5 peers due to a conference distribution situation that will be fixed with time. However, results on the field mean that ticket revenue and donation losses will make it such that the increased conference revenues won't actually fix the problem with time. Bleeding needs to be stopped immediately or long term harm will result.

Solution: bring in coach to turn around revenue losses as quickly as possible and to put results on an upward trajectory. Goal should be to hire a coach that does not need to be bought out in 3-5 years.

Sounds like he is throwing his hat back into the coaching ring.

How do we handicap a Les Miles vs Greg Schiano hire for RU? Which guy would RU fans want as our next HC?
Let’s be honest here. What coach with strong credentials has even considered Rutgers seriously? Established coaches see our university as a football cesspool. This goes back to the days right after Frank Burns. Where we are attractive is the up and comer that needs a stepping stone. Even then, folks now consider this a high risk job given failure means purgatory from a head job.

Les Miles is 65 and looks 75. Where ever he goes it’s might work for a year or two but that team will be looking for a new coach in 3-5 years.
He looks fine to me but forget about his looks if you've seen interviews of him he doesn't sound like someone who has lost his fire and passion. I've said I see him as a CEO coach and leader and motivator of men. I don't think he's lost it in that department...the question is staff and philosophy on offense.

IIRC I've seen him say he thinks he's got 8-10 years left in him and regardless of that IF he does bring in a good staff well then a replacement could be on staff so it shouldn't matter. Saban is 67 and older and I don't see anyone knocking his age or that he doesn't have it anymore. Would anyone refuse him? Of course not. Age is just a number and everyone is different...some might be "old" and are "old" and some might be "old" and have the fire of youth in them still...I think he still has the vigor...whether he's got the staff and the offense is more questionable.

Unfortunately for us...I think the fact that he just made this deal means he already accepted a position...most likely Kansas.

Reactions: ru1869
Unfortunately for us...I think the fact that he just made this deal means he already accepted a position...most likely Kansas.

Maybe, but if he had already accepted the job, then just announce that. Kansas has already said its coach is gone so announcing now would allow Miles to get a jump on recruiting.

Perhaps he knows Kansas has strong interest but wants to wait until after next weekend to see what else comes open.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knightmoves
He's been turned down left and right. He's been mentioned for Oregon State/Purdue in the past and nothing. He himself said he got no response at all from SEC schools that were filling jobs recently.

I don't think it has anything to do with "something to prove" and more to do with coaching is in his blood like it is for some coaches and he wants to be a HC. If anything the forgoing of money may mean he might even be willing to settle for something less than the P5. I've mentioned this before but many championship coaches and similar coach at places you wouldn't think of for the opportunity to continue to be a HC. Dennis Erickson at Oregon State/ASU, Larry Coker UTSA, Butch Davis FIU, Gene Chizik DC at UNC....

I don't think it's about proving anything or money or what not, they've all done it....it's just the opportunity to continue to be a HC.
My guess:
Might have been Les Miles didn't get those positions because of asking for to much money or power. Maybe a combination of both.
With the money he was reciving from LSU he might have been a little to demanding for the programs his name was mentioned as a candidate.

I can't say if Les toned down what he wanted and willing to give up over half of the LSU money just for a chance to return to coaching? Or if he is going to get the salary and power he wanted in a deal that is close to being signed?

It might not be Kansas that hires him being burnt with Weis' contract might have then keep from giving Les what he wants.

Louie might not be hiring Brohn because Les made a deal with them that's under wraps
Is something I'm thinking about.

crazy works better when you have nothing but talent on the field. That said, if we are playing with opm, a Miles era would be fun to watch.

Reactions: ATIOH
Miles for any other job other than RU.

The unique fit here creates a different paradigm.

Stop. Just stop. The whole "nobody can be successful here except the God Gary" schtick is old, tired, stupid and ridiculous.

That's not it at all. Pretty juvenille attack.

The question was who is a better choice for RU. No question to me. See Miles at OSU and then with all the LSU talent.

How about GS to LSU with that talent--He would crush it.

GS is not the only one who would succeed here and your reframing of the issue is your own obsession with fighting anything related to GS and attempting to re-frame all such issues and questions to achieve a desire answer.

To be clear, many would succeed here. The question is who would be best of the two--GS. Pretty sure GS gets us back on our feet. Miles-who knows? His shtick may not play well and could blow up. He's no slam dunk by any means because of LSU.

That's not it at all. Pretty juvenille attack.

The question was who is a better choice for RU. No question to me. See Miles at OSU and then with all the LSU talent.

How about GS to LSU with that talent--He would crush it.

GS is not the only one who would succeed here and your reframing of the issue is your own obsession with fighting anything related to GS and attempting to re-frame all such issues and questions to achieve a desire answer.

To be clear, many would succeed here. The question is who would be best of the two--GS. Pretty sure GS gets us back on our feet. Miles-who knows? His shtick may not play well and could blow up. He's no slam dunk by any means because of LSU.

There are an awful lot of tOSU fans who aren't real impressed with Schiano's coaching abilities, right now.

I disagree that he would do better here than Miles. Schiano is a good recruiter and a mediocre coach. Miles is a great recruiter and a good coach.

To me, the math is simple.

Last edited:
Not unreasonable. Respect that their can be differences of opinion on this topic

My issue is that if one says GS would be better than there exists a certain knee jerk reaction that that means the belief is that ONLY GS would succeed. The two are not aligned for most.

Not unreasonable. Respect that their can be differences of opinion on this topic

My issue is that if one says GS would be better than there exists a certain knee jerk reaction that that means the belief is that ONLY GS would succeed. The two are not aligned for most.

To be fair, that "knee jerk reaction" exists because several posters have flat-out said that GS is the only person who can succeed here.

“To be clear, many would succeed here. The question is who would be best of the two--GS. Pretty sure GS gets us back on our feet. Miles-who knows? His shtick may not play well and could blow up. He's no slam dunk by any means because of LSU.”

Disagree with the first sentence. Some can succeed at RU. We know a few who can’t, haven’t or won’t succeed.

114-34 at LSU (62-28 SEC) and a national championship in 2007. That’s some serious winning in the SEC and nationally. Not many would refer to that record as shtick. Especially against Greg’s body of work and Keep Chopping as a slogan. Btw OSU fans are not fond of Greg’s slogans in Columbus. They prefer hard nosed OSU Defense to slogans.

That would be a complete waste of a perfectly good head examination.

Miles may be headed for Kansas, which is good for them and sad for us. We lose out on a great opportunity (again, i.e. Mullen in '13) because we're stuck with the wrong tool for the job for another year.
Dont forget Leach and Richt.

In this hypothetical world we have going on here: I just don't see how Les Miles accepts an offer to coach for Rutgers.

Les is entering his twilight years of coaching and he would (most likely) demand a program that backs him, the team, and the athletics dept 1000%. Is anyone here seeing any kind of guaranteed security for this situation to come true?

My impression of Les is that he would go to an established but "down-year" type program that needs a jolt via splashy HC who knows what he's doing. Les isn't in this game to rebuild a program from ashes at this point in his career. The man has nothing to prove. His record says it all.
How about USC?

Say bye bye to Les as it looks like Kansas is a done deal.
Well there you go. Makes sense...you'd have thought something had to be in his back pocket for him to let the LSU money go. Now it'll be interesting who he brings on staff. While Pelini as DC might not have flown here from both sides, I think at Kansas it could. Then of course the ever important OC and proof as to his change in philosophy.....Leach/Briles tree disciple? Gundy disciple? Would he bring back Meacham who is off Gundy's tree. Frankly in the B12, I don't think he has a choice but to evolve on offense.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/11/16/les-miles-kansas-hiring-head-coach-contract

Well there you go. Makes sense...you'd have thought something had to be in his back pocket for him to let the LSU money go. Now it'll be interesting who he brings on staff. While Pelini as DC might not have flown here from both sides, I think at Kansas it could. Then of course the ever important OC and proof as to his change in philosophy.....Leach/Briles tree disciple? Gundy disciple? Would he bring back Meacham who is off Gundy's tree. Frankly in the B12, I don't think he has a choice but to evolve on offense.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/11/16/les-miles-kansas-hiring-head-coach-contract
tenor.gif

Yup, looks like he's off to Kansas. Will be fun to watch how he does there.

Would have been more fun to watch how he does at RU.

I’m thinking that RU never picked up the phone to call Les Miles, even through back channels. If so then not a good sign for long suffering RU fans.

CGD just talked a little about this. Still not confirmed yet but if true Desmond wasn't too high on the hire and mentioned his age, tough place to recruit, used to LSU resources, uphill climb but that it is for anyone. Herbstreit was a little more positive and said similar to things I've mentioned. He said you can win there as proven by Mason/Mangino and that Les knows the conference having been at Ok. State before...tip of the cap to Long if the hire happens and said he can recruit with his personality but he's got to hire some great coordinators.

Miles will receive a five-year contract that will pay him $2.775 million per year, with additional retention bonuses due in November 2020 and November 2022.

We could have afforded that!!

Sure, but why would we? He failed to produce a decent QB at LSU. He runs an antiquated offense and refuses to change. Kansas won’t get the talent he had at LSU.

Probably still a little more than was necessary but like I’ve said in the past fired coaches don’t make as much as they did previously unless an AD wants to be stupid about it .

As to refuses to evolve on offense well I’ve mentioned here before that he has said since his firing he’s willing to change his philosophy on offense. Frankly I don’t think he has a choice in the B12. The proof will be in the hiring of OC.

If LSU did not do anything, they would have been off the hook for the full $6.5M with Les signing with Kansas. They paid $1.5M for no reason.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
If LSU did not do anything, they would have been off the hook for the full $6.5M with Les signing with Kansas. They paid $1.5M for no reason.
Well they didn’t know that at the time although you figure Les had something but just what......hard to know for sure. They can afford it so I don't think they care much.

Anyone turning up their nose to Miles are clueless. At a minimum he will be able to recruit and hire a legit staff which will translate to becoming a respectable program. All of a sudden winning a ton of games as LSU is no big deal. Laughable.

ADVERTISEMENT