ADVERTISEMENT

Let's go METS 2016 thread ......Just get in and anything can happen!

Yup. The purpose of a bona fide slide is to arrive at the base safely. If the base in question is second base, that means you need to be able to get to the base AND STAY THERE. If you can't, it's not a bona fide slide. I for one am glad that the studs-up sliding tackle, which gets you a red card in soccer, is no longer part of baseball.

But that was not what Werth did--his studs were down. As far as the sliding tackle, he took Walker out AFTER he threw the ball. This is the equivalent of calling back a touchdown for a chop block or targeting, and if that is the case, if the rule is intended to protect the defensive player, then OK.

Harvey is out for the season so now all the Yankee turds come out from their already pathetic lives to throw gas on the fire, and make themselves look even more pathetic. Didn't see that coming....

Reactions: Knight Shift
All this talk about Harvey's record....which of course is a ridiculous stance to troll the guy since ya know he had the worst run support in baseball...but speaking of records, what's the Yankees record guys??

Go ahead turds. Keep harping on Harvey's record lmao. I guess it's the way for a turd to cope with the little fact that your team is horrible, irrelevant, and it absolutely busts your chaps that the mets are better doesn't it?? Burn

Reactions: Knight Shift
Last night's eighth inning was a stark reminder that the Reyes of 2016 is not the Reyes of 2006. Down two, no outs, first and third, with Reyes on first as the tying run. We kept waiting for him to steal second, both to move into scoring position and to take away the double play possibility. We are still waiting.

Reactions: tico brown
Did the Fox announcers say Murph has more home runs against the Mets this year than he had in the first half of 2015?

Salt in the wound Saturday- RU v. Penn State 2014 game on BTN right now.

It's frustrating in any sport when the team you follow keeps getting its legs knocked out from under it by injury. The Mets could get healthy in the second half, but (setting aside Harvey, who's gone) the type of issues the pitchers are having (bone spurs, tired arms, set backs for Wheeler) are the type that often don't solve themselves over time, and it becomes less likely that it will happen when you're hoping that many pitchers just get better.

I keep wondering whether the Mets need a top-to-bottom overhaul of their medical and training staff.

It's frustrating in any sport when the team you follow keeps getting its legs knocked out from under it by injury. The Mets could get healthy in the second half, but (setting aside Harvey, who's gone) the type of issues the pitchers are having (bone spurs, tired arms, set backs for Wheeler) are the type that often don't solve themselves over time, and it becomes less likely that it will happen when you're hoping that many pitchers just get better.

I keep wondering whether the Mets need a top-to-bottom overhaul of their medical and training staff.
I would be more worried about their spotty/crappy hitting and lack of speed on the bases. Can't see how this is the same team that swept the Cubs. Yeah, Scherzer is a great pitcher, but the Cubs pitching staff is formidable. F Daniel Murphy too.

I would be more worried about their spotty/crappy hitting and lack of speed on the bases. Can't see how this is the same team that swept the Cubs. Yeah, Scherzer is a great pitcher, but the Cubs pitching staff is formidable. F Daniel Murphy too.
Quality effort by the Mets this weekend. I think Murphy swept them by himself. Maybe the Nats are legit this season?

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Quality effort by the Mets this weekend. I think Murphy swept them by himself. Maybe the Nats are legit this season?
Stop....T2K......you'll only get the poor Metsies fans crying again about the Big Bad Yankees fans bothering them.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Team was not put together well offensively. Still too much of a home run or strikeout feast or famine bunch. Rare to see any first and third action or a string of hits resulting in a big inning.

You're neither big or bad. You're both just douchey lol. Simply put.

Anyway yes the mets are most definitely not a perfect team, and I highly doubt they win the WS or hell even make the playoffs without Harvey. It really might come down to last week of season for the wildcard. Injuries worry me with this team more than anything really..

They absolutely need this. Way, way too many non-freak injuries this year. Duda's injury probably somewhat preventable if the training and medical staff were doing their jobs properly. Harvey's issues get discovered much sooner. They seek to manage the wear and tear on Ces, Thor and Matz much more effectively. Lagares is the only true well you can't blame it at all on training injury. Even Wright's issues are probably exacerbated by poor performance by trainers and medical staff earlier in his career.

You're neither big or bad. You're both just douchey lol. Simply put.

Anyway yes the mets are most definitely not a perfect team, and I highly doubt they win the WS or hell even make the playoffs without Harvey. It really might come down to last week of season for the wildcard. Injuries worry me with this team more than anything really..
I think this season ends the way I thought last year's would have, stay in contention all season but just miss the playoffs or maybe make the wild card game but lose there. The good news is they have the farm system, organizational approach and younger talent to make a healthier run next year.

Obviously, if you had known last year Murphy would be hitting 350 and on pace for 35 homeruns and 100+ RBIs, you would have signed him. They did offer him a 1 year contract worth $15 million so it is not as if they totally ignored and disrespected him. I would not have signed him based on his history. Basically a 280-290 hitter with limited power, a terrible fielder and a bad baserunner. There was no guarantee that he would continue to hit like he hit in last year's post season. Odds were in your favor he would not.

Reactions: ntlrock1
Obviously, if you had known last year Murphy would be hitting 350 and on pace for 35 homeruns and 100+ RBIs, you would have signed him. They did offer him a 1 year contract worth $15 million so it is not as if they totally ignored and disrespected him. I would not have signed him based on his history. Basically a 280-290 hitter with limited power, a terrible fielder and a bad baserunner. There was no guarantee that he would continue to hit like he hit in last year's post season. Odds were in your favor he would not.
True, but the Mets' one-year offer was made solely to secure the compensatory draft pick. There was no expectation Murphy would take it.

That said, Murphy was nobody's first choice in the free agent marketplace last year. Zobrist was. The Nats moved on to Murphy after they, like the Mets, had missed on Zobrist.

Pirates beat the Nationals in 18 innings. Jonathan Niese pitched 3 innings in relief and finished off the Nats. He got trashed publicly by the Pirates GM this week, who expressed regret over the deal to take Niese.

True, but the Mets' one-year offer was made solely to secure the compensatory draft pick. There was no expectation Murphy would take it.

That said, Murphy was nobody's first choice in the free agent marketplace last year. Zobrist was. The Nats moved on to Murphy after they, like the Mets, had missed on Zobrist.
What I don't get is why Zobrist? Zobrist (35) is several years old than Murphy (31) and a career .266 hitter. Murphy career average is .295. Zobrist over his entire career has better power (homeruns) numbers, but over the last few years Murphy has better stats. As far as fielding they are about the same. I think Murphy gets a bad rap because he's not smooth when fielding the ball. I think in this case perception played a bigger role in deciding who should the Mets (& Washington) go after. Btw, ever since Murphy moved closer to the plate he's been a dominating hitter. Today's pitchers are scared to pitch inside. Murphy now commands both sides of the plate.

Reports have them looking for pitching, but the offense is in dire need of a fix. Not knowing who'll be available, I will name a candidate to replace. Granderson just takes too many K's

Reports have them looking for pitching, but the offense is in dire need of a fix. Not knowing who'll be available, I will name a candidate to replace. Granderson just takes too many K's

Not to get the Mets fans here all crying again, but exactly which team ISN'T looking for pitching ?

What I don't get is why Zobrist? Zobrist (35) is several years old than Murphy (31) and a career .266 hitter. Murphy career average is .295. Zobrist over his entire career has better power (homeruns) numbers, but over the last few years Murphy has better stats. As far as fielding they are about the same. I think Murphy gets a bad rap because he's not smooth when fielding the ball. I think in this case perception played a bigger role in deciding who should the Mets (& Washington) go after. Btw, ever since Murphy moved closer to the plate he's been a dominating hitter. Today's pitchers are scared to pitch inside. Murphy now commands both sides of the plate.
Cubby-
I'm obviously in a position where I get the opportunity to talk to retired players frequently, many of them are hall of famers.
Pitchers like Goose, Guidry and Seaver tell me exactly what you are saying in regard to pitching inside, yet hitters like myself watch these games on TV and see the exact opposite, we see 98 mile an hour fast balls all game long from multiple pitchers, while in my day there was one guy on each staff that had that kind of velocity. The sentiment amongst us hitters is there's no way we'd want to hit of the gas and unpredictability of the pitchers today.
Harold Reynolds and I laugh about this all the time, we're like did you see those relievers last night?
F that...LOL

Last edited:
Where you got crushed. It only matters if you win.
In the above post about the Mets making it to the WS, T2K summons the spirit of Ricky Bobby, "If you ain't first, you're last!"

But even Ricky's daddy Reese admitted he was high when he said it, and that it makes absolutely no sense.

In the above post about the Mets making it to the WS, T2K summons the spirit of Ricky Bobby, "If you ain't first, you're last!"

But even Ricky's daddy Reese admitted he was high when he said it, and that it makes absolutely no sense.

See....THAT'S one of the big differences between fans of the Yankees and fans of the Metsies.
Yankees fans look back on the seasons where we lost the World Series as ginormous disappointments....opportunities wasted. Mets fans look upon World Series defeats as monumental achievements...some rare accomplishment to be celebrated....perhaps with a parade down the Canyon of Heroes.

There is no joy in losing a World Series. I'm still pissed off about the losses to the Diamond Backs and the Marlins in the World Series.

Full disclosure Nationals fans here.

If I were a Mets fan I'd be angry over their handling of these kid pitchers. I just don't see this ending well. Nats management took a ton of s--t for the kid gloves approach to handling Strasburg, and JZimm post-TJ early in their careers. Now they are doing the same gentle handling with Giolito, Ross, and Fedde.

Just seems to me you need to handle these young pitchers very delicately or else risk the Prior, Kerry Wood, Kris Medlen ending. I truly hope it doesn't go that way for Harvey, Thor and Matz, but running up innings post-TJ (Harvey) and throwing Matz and Thor out there with tender elbows after career high innings pitched last year just doesn't seem a sound plan.

Reactions: tico brown
See....THAT'S one of the big differences between fans of the Yankees and fans of the Metsies.
Yankees fans look back on the seasons where we lost the World Series as ginormous disappointments....opportunities wasted. Mets fans look upon World Series defeats as monumental achievements...some rare accomplishment to be celebrated....perhaps with a parade down the Canyon of Heroes.
Our goal is #28, that's it. :)

Full disclosure Nationals fans here.

If I were a Mets fan I'd be angry over their handling of these kid pitchers. I just don't see this ending well. Nats management took a ton of s--t for the kid gloves approach to handling Strasburg, and JZimm post-TJ early in their careers. Now they are doing the same gentle handling with Giolito, Ross, and Fedde.

Just seems to me you need to handle these young pitchers very delicately or else risk the Prior, Kerry Wood, Kris Medlen ending. I truly hope it doesn't go that way for Harvey, Thor and Matz, but running up innings post-TJ (Harvey) and throwing Matz and Thor out there with tender elbows after career high innings pitched last year just doesn't seem a sound plan.

Is there a science to this beyond the examples you have given? Not arguing, and Matz and Thor are cause for concern.

Is there a science to this beyond the examples you have given? Not arguing, and Matz and Thor are cause for concern.

Don't think there is any science to this as these "post TJ protocols" and "young pitcher management" seem to be evolving and evolving.

That written what most teams seem to do is limit a kid post TJ to around 180 innings pitched. That was both Strasburg and JZimms limit. It seems Boras used that number in his discussions with the Mets (Strasburg is also a Boras client). I have no problem that the Mets "went for it" but reality is they blew past that 180 number and with post season Harvey threw 215+ (Nationals shut Strasburg down at 180 in 2012 and didn't let him pitch that postseason). 215 is the most innings Harvey ever threw by about 40 innings. In the season returning from TJ. And now needs another surgery. And while sample sizes of one are worth spit it does seem the Mets may have been a bit reckless.

As for Thor and Matz it just seems to me you'd want to be as careful as possible. Both guys threw more innings last year than ever before in their career (minors included). They both look to be top of the rotation type starters. Not sure I'd let a kid whose elbow hurts after throwing the most in innings in his career suck it up and pitch. Not that young with that talent. I saw Syndegaard pitch at Nats park and his fastball never got over 92. Something is wrong. I get Alderson is an old school guy with a Marine background, but....

Again, while I am in DC and a Nationals fan I don't hate the Mets. I am a HUGE baseball fan and I enjoy seeing good young players on any team. I would love to see Nats-Mets be the big NL East rivalry. Went earlier this year to a Strasburg-Harvey game and it was a blast. I just fear 3, 4, 5 years from now those guys will be feeling the effects from what I would consider a bit reckless management with their arms.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT