ADVERTISEMENT

Let's unpack

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
1. This is 100% a relationship based recruiting effort. Credit to Steve and that relationship with Larry,a stud former player.

2. But this opens up the gateway to the New England preps. RU was close with Desmon Claude,but the family and step-dad were problems.

3. In addition to some preps in the LA area there is no more fertile ground in the country to recruit.NJ isn't even close,with the exception being the mega 2023 NJ close.St. Thomas More,Brewster,South Kent and 5 more are powerhouses.

3.Rutgers is a step closer to Papa Kante today than it was a few weeks ago.But it will not be easy.

4. This was a win over UConn,as were Montez and Cliff.Not sure how interested they were in Paul.

5. Michigan was definitely a strong suitor beaten out here as well.

6. I was with a CT high school coach tonight who was stunned.

7.NIL was not a player here.

8.This is as much a perception recruiting win as getting a great player and a tremendous shooter. How many of those have I seen since Lloyd,the Greek and Tillman. Not too many. Maybe 8. Wow.

Kante clearly fills our need for a rim protector in this class

Whoever pike gets for that roster spot, walks into a situation that a potential 28 minute per game role once cliff and Dean depart, in his second year, latest.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
This thread is really loaded with very important points, each point really could be isolated into a separate thread (with the exception of the Desmond Claude item).

If Kante was at the announcement for Gavin Griffiths yesterday, I will take that as hope that there's a small window to climb into.

The largest takeaway that RU72 highlights here has been something he has mentioned on the boards and in person to me for at least the last few years (almost decade)......the lack of a New England presence into the Prep Schools.

With TJ Thompson now as an assistant (still the most underrated all-time stealth move bringing Thompson on as a non coaching.role), is the key here. Pike smartly brought him early, and the staffs grooming him for an opening down the road....that opening was when Thompson showed he was ready and we made the elevation/promotion happen). There wasn't a need to go outside of the staff for another assistant, we developed our own bench of coaching, organically.

The schools like all of the major programs (Michigan, Iowa, Ohio State, Sparty, numerous ACC schools, lots of Big East schools, some Big 12 schools) have all benefitted from a very healthy New England Prep avalanche of talent.

Getting Griffiths, now expands the RU footprint of perception and access, beyond being solely reliant on defending the backyard for NJ kids that may still.want to get away. Not every kid wants to remain in state, some will want to stay, but it's not New England.

If this opens up RU to the New England Prep market, you take away maybe 1 kid from Iowa, 1 kid from Michigan, 1 kid from Syracuse, over a 4 or 5 year span, then combine that with the NJ kids or regional kids that want to play at RU, now you have expanded the pipelines of success.

It could ultimately retire the sad and stale narrative about only recruiting NJ. Yes, RU should focus on the tri-state area as it's right here, BUT the Prep scene in New England unlocks the door to sustained success for the next decade.

This thread is really loaded with very important points, each point really could be isolated into a separate thread (with the exception of the Desmond Claude item).

If Kante was at the announcement for Gavin Griffiths yesterday, I will take that as hope that there's a small window to climb into.

The largest takeaway that RU72 highlights here has been something he has mentioned on the boards and in person to me for at least the last few years (almost decade)......the lack of a New England presence into the Prep Schools.

With TJ Thompson now as an assistant (still the most underrated all-time stealth move bringing Thompson on as a non coaching.role), is the key here. Pike smartly brought him early, and the staffs grooming him for an opening down the road....that opening was when Thompson showed he was ready and we made the elevation/promotion happen). There wasn't a need to go outside of the staff for another assistant, we developed our own bench of coaching, organically.

The schools like all of the major programs (Michigan, Iowa, Ohio State, Sparty, numerous ACC schools, lots of Big East schools, some Big 12 schools) have all benefitted from a very healthy New England Prep avalanche of talent.

Getting Griffiths, now expands the RU footprint of perception and access, beyond being solely reliant on defending the backyard for NJ kids that may still.want to get away. Not every kid wants to remain in state, some will want to stay, but it's not New England.

If this opens up RU to the New England Prep market, you take away maybe 1 kid from Iowa, 1 kid from Michigan, 1 kid from Syracuse, over a 4 or 5 year span, then combine that with the NJ kids or regional kids that want to play at RU, now you have expanded the pipelines of success.

It could ultimately retire the sad and stale narrative about only recruiting NJ. Yes, RU should focus on the tri-state area as it's right here, BUT the Prep scene in New England unlocks the door to sustained success for the next decade.

Excellent summary by Rich and Greg. I believe Douby Do was the last star player from NEPSAC. This was a great accomplishment and hopefully will help snowball recruiting In the Northeast. We have continually looked toward the DC area but also need to grab a foothold in Philly.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Gotta say RU72 is up there with some of the great basketball posters here . He’s been on the money and gives good background stuff that we don’t even get out of the press

RU72 is someone I trust and has in-depth knowledge across a lot of topics in basketball......don't get me wrong, it doesn't mean I agree with all of his assessments or opinions on basketball, coaches, recruiting or other topics, but it is not for a lack of knowledge or awareness.

But it is very difficult to find a more dialed in and connected person, with the depth of knowledge expanding almost 5 decades. I don't know anyone like him as a resource, person, donor and I have a long list of contacts cultivated here and beyond. When he posts, pay very close attention.

Gotta say RU72 is up there with some of the great basketball posters here . He’s been on the money and gives good background stuff that we don’t even get out of the press
Recruiting is the life blood of college athletics.Its the reason that so many die hard Rutgers fans are on these message boards expressing their opinions.Ru72 is a difference maker recruiting expert.

RU72 is someone I trust and has in-depth knowledge across a lot of topics in basketball......don't get me wrong, it doesn't mean I agree with all of his assessments or opinions on basketball, coaches, recruiting or other topics, but it is not for a lack of knowledge or awareness.

But it is very difficult to find a more dialed in and connected person, with the depth of knowledge expanding almost 5 decades. I don't know anyone like him as a resource, person, donor and I have a long list of contacts cultivated here and beyond. When he posts, pay very close attention.
Well said. I've been reading 72's posts closely for almost 25 years now, as he usually makes insightful and informative posts, given his sources and knowledge. Great stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT