ADVERTISEMENT

Lewis and Sitkowski

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
If the OL can protect, Lewis throws a nice deep ball.

Sitkowski working out.

Question- is Gio working out with a trainer? Have not seen any tweets about him.

Reactions: Scangg
It isn't clear from this post whether you think one's mechanics are better than the other, or if they're just different. Comment?

In my very novice opinion Lewis throws a little more sidearm and SIt throws more over hand. Now given the angle of release by Lewis his throws would end up going more to his left, and in the video you can see he is throwing slightly behind this receiver.

Reactions: satnom
The big difference I see is that Sitkowski was looking off the receiver right up until he threw the ball.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Looks like Lewis has the baseball throw hitch where he drops the ball down then throws, Sitkowski looks like he keeps the ball high.

Reactions: Randal7
If Lewis or Gio is our starting QB, we are in trouble. Our future relies on the development of Sitkowski.
I disagree with this...if Lewis or Gio are our QBs it means our coaches have competently developed our talent...if we are forced to start Sitkowski from Day 1 I worry that we are playing too much pressure and expectations on a kid who hasn’t taken a meaningful game snap in a year

This board is getting way ahead of itself with expectations on a true freshman QB that didn’t exactly light it up in high school...plenty of kids have the measurables and strong arm...doesn’t mean they transition to college football successfully

I disagree with this...if Lewis or Gio are our QBs it means our coaches have competently developed our talent...if we are forced to start Sitkowski from Day 1 I worry that we are playing too much pressure and expectations on a kid who hasn’t taken a meaningful game snap in a year

This board is getting way ahead of itself with expectations on a true freshman QB that didn’t exactly light it up in high school...plenty of kids have the measurables and strong arm...doesn’t mean they transition to college football successfully
You seem to have some skin in this game, and I am guessing by your screen name, you are somehow connected to JL. That's fine. We have discussed this before.

You last statement after the first . . . . MAY be the issue with JL. He has admitted as much that the game moves much faster than high school.

As to your first paragraph, I somewhat agree. But I trust a seasoned coach like McNulty to make the best choice. And it may mean that we see some ugly, rough play for a while. Heck, we saw plenty of it last year, but that was probably more due to the OL and the receivers. But JL and GR had plenty of clunkers.

Reactions: JCKnight
My worry isn't Day 1. It's Day 2 when the OSU front seven have him for lunch.

That's what this forum, and probably every other sportsfan forum tend to do. It's a little irritating because we make the same mistake every year. You think people would learn. And then, when things don't go according to their wishful thinking, they blame the kid, not themselves.

That's what this forum, and probably every other sportsfan forum tend to do. It's a little irritating because we make the same mistake every year. You think people would learn. And then, when things don't go according to their wishful thinking, they blame the kid, not themselves.

I blame Oprah.

I blame Oprah.
Well yeah, we all do.

There’s a scene in one of the Oceans’s movies, where Rusty visits Danny Ocean’s hotel room and finds Ocean drinking wine and crying while watching Oprah. Anyway, I like the randomness of the scene. What makes it funny, for me st least, is imagining what was going through the writers’ mind(s) when they came up with it. Or maybe the actors came up with it on set.

I never watched t/he original. So maybe the new cast stole the idea from the old one.

What I love is how blind sided this whole fan base is going to be when everyone starts to realize how special Sitkowski is. He doesn't throw errant passes. Every, single ball that comes out of his hand is catchable. Its uncanny...almost unreal.

Lewis isn't accurate enough to play QB. Rather than transfer and try to play somewhere else, he should bulk up and play d-line at Rutgers. He has the frame to build on and the quickness to go all the way to Sundays. Accuracy is a gift. He has a lot of gifts, but he doesn't have that one. Not even close.

Lewis' issue is when he doesn't have to throw the ball 100 mph.
I think he has a big wind-up.. I think safeties will get a good jump on his long balls (yeah, I said it). I hope he proves me wrong. And look just before the 6 second mark in his video.. he starts the throw well enough with the ball behind his shoulder.. but the release point is at a 45 degree angle.. almost side-arm. Sitkowski has much better form.

Ultimately whoever can see the field and make good reads and lead receivers properly will win the job.. form be damned. But the smart money has to be on the guy who practices proper form.

We are going to have to throw to spots... we cannot wait for WRs to get open... we have to throw them open.. lead them.. and that will require reading the coverage pre-snap. I will happily support any QB who can partially negate a big pass rush with the "vision thing". You don't need a big arm for that.. just accurate route-runners and good vision.

Reactions: SouthJerseyRU
Lewis' issue is when he doesn't have to throw the ball 100 mph.
Unfortunately this is all you need to know. I was hoping that we'd see improvement here in the Spring game and it was more of the same. Seems that this guy has 1 and only 1 speed that he can throw. Said this out loud at the Spring game after he airmailed one. Guy behind me who was a player's relative agreed and we had a brief discussion about him.... he just doesn't have touch/accuracy for all route types.

This reminds me of when reports were so positive about Laviano being a different person leading into the 2016 season and all this improvement he was making which never included better touch/accuracy.

Sit needs to be the starter day 1.

What I love is how blind sided this whole fan base is going to be when everyone starts to realize how special Sitkowski is. He doesn't throw errant passes. Every, single ball that comes out of his hand is catchable. Its uncanny...almost unreal.

Lewis isn't accurate enough to play QB. Rather than transfer and try to play somewhere else, he should bulk up and play d-line at Rutgers. He has the frame to build on and the quickness to go all the way to Sundays. Accuracy is a gift. He has a lot of gifts, but he doesn't have that one. Not even close.
What is this based off of? He threw a handful of bad balls during the Spring game. He obviously has LOTs of potential and I think he'll ultimately be our starter this year but he's still only a true freshman. Give him time to develop. He's going to make mistakes this year. I just hope the fanbase is OK with that.

I think he has a big wind-up.. I think safeties will get a good jump on his long balls (yeah, I said it). I hope he proves me wrong. And look just before the 6 second mark in his video.. he starts the throw well enough with the ball behind his shoulder.. but the release point is at a 45 degree angle.. almost side-arm. Sitkowski has much better form.

Ultimately whoever can see the field and make good reads and lead receivers properly will win the job.. form be damned. But the smart money has to be on the guy who practices proper form.

We are going to have to throw to spots... we cannot wait for WRs to get open... we have to throw them open.. lead them.. and that will require reading the coverage pre-snap. I will happily support any QB who can partially negate a big pass rush with the "vision thing". You don't need a big arm for that.. just accurate route-runners and good vision.

It’s not only about form. Lewis is a huge human being and a big part of his game is his ability to make plays with his legs. Form is less important when you can run people over.

You seem to have some skin in this game, and I am guessing by your screen name, you are somehow connected to JL. That's fine. We have discussed this before.

You last statement after the first . . . . MAY be the issue with JL. He has admitted as much that the game moves much faster than high school.

As to your first paragraph, I somewhat agree. But I trust a seasoned coach like McNulty to make the best choice. And it may mean that we see some ugly, rough play for a while. Heck, we saw plenty of it last year, but that was probably more due to the OL and the receivers. But JL and GR had plenty of clunkers.
While I live in JC, and work a few blocks from SPP in Exchange Place, I have zero skin in the game other than you have a kid with a ton of potential that needs to be developed...and as we’ve discussed I’ve questioned whether we have a true assistant coach on staff that knows how to properly develop a QB...the OC isn’t always the best QB coach...do we have any former college QBs on staff?
At this rate this time next year this board might be announcing Wise as the savior and future 4 year starter...if anyone has watched his tape they might say this kid has a lot more dual threat potential and would be a much more dangerous weapon for a team that might not have the OLine that is good enough to protect more of a pocket passer like Sitkowski

I’m not sure how anyone can make these references about Sitkowski after seeing his limited game tape and his so so performance in the spring game...unless you were at every RU spring practice which isn’t open to the public or media there is no possible way one can deduce that “every singable ball he throws is catchable”
Unfortunately this is all you need to know. I was hoping that we'd see improvement here in the Spring game and it was more of the same. Seems that this guy has 1 and only 1 speed that he can throw. Said this out loud at the Spring game after he airmailed one. Guy behind me who was a player's relative agreed and we had a brief discussion about him.... he just doesn't have touch/accuracy for all route types.

This reminds me of when reports were so positive about Laviano being a different person leading into the 2016 season and all this improvement he was making which never included better touch/accuracy.

Sit needs to be the starter day 1.
Again, if we have competent assistants on staff that can properly develop a QB a throwing motion and accuracy are things that can be corrected...what cannot he coached is athleticism and potential...two of the keys to Lewis recruitment...

While I live in JC, and work a few blocks from SPP in Exchange Place, I have zero skin in the game other than you have a kid with a ton of potential that needs to be developed...and as we’ve discussed I’ve questioned whether we have a true assistant coach on staff that knows how to properly develop a QB...the OC isn’t always the best QB coach...do we have any former college QBs on staff?

At this rate this time next year this board might be announcing Wise as the savior and future 4 year starter...if anyone has watched his tape they might say this kid has a lot more dual threat potential and would be a much more dangerous weapon for a team that might not have the OLine that is good enough to protect more of a pocket passer like Sitkowski

I’m not sure how anyone can make these references about Sitkowski after seeing his limited game tape and his so so performance in the spring game...unless you were at every RU spring practice which isn’t open to the public or media there is no possible way one can deduce that “every singable ball he throws is catchable”

Again, if we have competent assistants on staff that can properly develop a QB a throwing motion and accuracy are things that can be corrected...what cannot he coached is athleticism and potential...two of the keys to Lewis recruitment...

You keep questioning the coaches. Yet you never answer my question or acknowledge that sometimes it is the player's fault that he has not developed. At the end of the football game, the ball is in their hands. The coaches can coach and give them all of the teaching and tools there are, but they have to utilize those tools.

So what did Sitkowski do? In a limited sample in a non-contact Spring game, it is pretty well universally accepted that he was the best looking QB out there on that day (although, I would give Flacco a vote for close second or a tie).

Yes, many of us are not at practices, but we know people who are at the practices and the word it out that Sit is it. That can change. It is up to Gio and Lewis to give it their best shot.

And on coaches. Sit and Lewis are going to the SAME COACH in the off season--a known developer of QBs. I don't know what else you are looking for. Do you want the coaches to ride the QBs back and move their throwing arm or their legs for them?

Reactions: dontestrond
You keep questioning the coaches. Yet you never answer my question or acknowledge that sometimes it is the player's fault that he has not developed. At the end of the football game, the ball is in their hands. The coaches can coach and give them all of the teaching and tools there are, but they have to utilize those tools.

So what did Sitkowski do? In a limited sample in a non-contact Spring game, it is pretty well universally accepted that he was the best looking QB out there on that day (although, I would give Flacco a vote for close second or a tie).

Yes, many of us are not at practices, but we know people who are at the practices and the word it out that Sit is it. That can change. It is up to Gio and Lewis to give it their best shot.

And on coaches. Sit and Lewis are going to the SAME COACH in the off season--a known developer of QBs. I don't know what else you are looking for. Do you want the coaches to ride the QBs back and move their throwing arm or their legs for them?
Off season QB coaching is not the same as having a competent QB coach on the roster that prepare them to run their specific offense...I understand you keep saying Lewis might simply not be developing but i counter that with has he been properly developed by our staff...he has a lot more athleticism seemingly than Sit...and I just don’t understand why anyone would use a controlled spring game scrimmage to make any inferences on how good or ready a true freshman is to be a Power 5 conference starter...

I personally do not think all is well if Sitkowski is our starter on Day 1, to me that is more of an indictment of our lack of depth...he may be the best player but we are in real trouble if he is the clear cut starter and something happens or he can’t handle the pressure like. Gary Turn-ova...

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83

Are you suggesting that college football staffs should punt on having positional developmental coaches simply because guys go to off season coaching specific to their positions?

Ok...
Can either of those guys feel the rush, avoid a tackler or two, run within a yard of the line of scrimmage and throw across their body to a wide open tail back across the field as if he had eyes in the back of his head?:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Jersey Boys
Off season QB coaching is not the same as having a competent QB coach on the roster that prepare them to run their specific offense...I understand you keep saying Lewis might simply not be developing but i counter that with has he been properly developed by our staff...he has a lot more athleticism seemingly than Sit...and I just don’t understand why anyone would use a controlled spring game scrimmage to make any inferences on how good or ready a true freshman is to be a Power 5 conference starter...

I personally do not think all is well if Sitkowski is our starter on Day 1, to me that is more of an indictment of our lack of depth...he may be the best player but we are in real trouble if he is the clear cut starter and something happens or he can’t handle the pressure like. Gary Turn-ova...
Hayden Rettig was said to have a cannon for an arm. IIRC he was a 4 star or high 3 star recruit. Yet he rarely played, and when he transferred to Tennessee Tech, he did not get the starting position. Sometimes all the athleticism in the world is not enough to be the starting QB. It also involves making good decisions and good throws, reading defenses, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT