ADVERTISEMENT

Like a win

Im proud of the team and the effort.

Don't shout me down, you guys know I realize almost isn't good enough.

If Gio didn't loose his option to run, we win this game. To bad, what a pleasure it was to watch a real QB
Agree 100% Zappa

Reactions: Debtbubble
I'm down with that Zap! You can hold your head up tonight and this week. Good job team (and I am FAR from a moral victory kinda guy).

Looks like we found a QB till Lewis gets here. Our kicking is brutal

Big win for the fans. I'm pumped for the rest of the year. Now we have a puncher's chance at winning.

Reactions: tychicus

If Gio didn't loose his option to run, we win this game. To bad, what a pleasure it was to watch a real QB

Totally agree. -Yes, of course you always want to win. But this was a road game where we were big-time 'dogs, with a QB starting his first game ever for RU, (whose performance showed we've definitively found our signal caller for the rest of the season), and where the Knights were down 21-3 in the 1st quarter. A lot of teams might have rolled over and played dead at that point, but ours didn't.

And as far as recruiting goes, Rutgers has shown on 3 occasions it can hang with the middle tier teams in the B1G. Now is "close" good enough? Absolutely not. And are there still a bunch of mistakes and issues that need to be cleaned up? You bet there are. But even with that being the case, a game like this shows prospects that if they bring their talents to "The Banks" they could be instrumental in helping this program get where we all want it to be.

There was a need for something on the plus side of the ledger to happen for this team, and today it did. No, we didn't come away with a "W", and yeah, it still goes down as a loss in the record books. But this is the kind of game that makes the prospects we're after feel they can be difference makers here. And that is definitely a very positive thing.

Last edited:
Agree. Minnesota was extremely lucky to win this game. Look I hate the moral Victory Parade as much as you, but in a season where we knew we needed every bounce to go our way to have a chance at 6 wins, those bounces went against us but we were in those games that we thought we would be in.

Agreed. Was finally an exciting game against a pretty good team for the first time in a long time. Easily could've won this one. As you and I were bantering about on the game thread, has anyone heard what happened to Gio's leg and do we have any idea if he's going to be 100% in 2 weeks? I like our chances to win 1-2 more if he's healthy.

Moral victories have meaning at this point... sad as that is.

If Gio wasn't hobbled I think we win this thing.

Way to go team.. you buckled down and almost got it done.

On the coaching side... love the defensive front shifting.. about damn time we made it harder for the opponents OLs. The scoreboard is enough of a grade for the OC.. but in particular, after Minnesota honed in and sacked Gio a couple times in a row.. we came out with a plan to slow down that outside pass rush by not going with the empty backfield as often and by calling those quick dives. PUNISH them for splitting so wide and aiming for the drop-back area.. run inside them! Well done.

I like that they competed after an awful start. We need to play a cleaner game to win at this level given our current talent level.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
Got to view as a positive. Sure would have liked to get the win, but at least now we have some hope. Went from dreading to looking forward to upcoming games.

Special teams lost this game. Missed xtra pt actually changed this from a likely OT finish to a loss. The kick return for TD appears to have been a mess up by the kicker. He was supposed to hit the 30 yd line pitching wedge...instead hit his driver to the 10 and caused everyone to be out of position. Stack on the lousy punting and we have total fail on specials.

Special teams lost this game. Missed xtra pt actually changed this from a likely OT finish to a loss. The kick return for TD appears to have been a mess up by the kicker. He was supposed to hit the 30 yd line pitching wedge...instead hit his driver to the 10 and caused everyone to be out of position. Stack on the lousy punting and we have total fail on specials.
I have an issue with this. You kick it OB and don't take any chances for 5 yards.

I think the game was a move in the right direction. The team played better. However I refuse to waiver on the following. There was some bad play calling. I don't put this on coach Ash, but better get his coaches in line because some of those calls were not good. Also, anyone know what happened towards the end of the game between Ash and that other coach with a clipboard? They looked they had to be separated.

We need a kicker in the worst way. Punter too. Kicking the football cost us the game today. Bad news is that it's not going to get better anytime this season.

We need a kicker in the worst way. Punter too. Kicking the football cost us the game today. Bad news is that it's not going to get better anytime this season.
There has to be a kid on the soccer team who can kickoff on Saturdays.

By the way, that second half blitzing by Minny would have been torched by Gio if he could run…

There has to be a kid on the soccer team who can kickoff on Saturdays.

By the way, that second half blitzing by Minny would have been torched by Gio if he could run…
They knew Gio was hobbled which is why they started blitzing so much. I took real exception to the outside speed blitzer #20 I believe. Every time he went after Gio low and at the knees. He should have been penalized. Once OK a couple times becomes deliberate. There were a few other hits on Gio that other QB's have gotten but the ref's decided it wasn't the day to protect the RU QB.

Today was a huge statement that we are going to keep competing this season and show some on field improvement. That is important to reassure any nervous recruits that Ash and company will get the job done.

Reactions: rutger80

I agree...except- I'd like coaches to think outside of their paradigms.

If Gio is hurt, next man up. Besides, Allen, Odin, Rettig even Laviano could have been used for situational play...

Just saying maybe we shouldn't lock ourselves up or out...without using all our weapons.

MO
PS I only cursed < 5 times... at the lack of tackling . Right after we scored on Pick 6 - giving up that 94 yard KO return for a TD
was like a hernia repair that's long overdue....and needs a redo if you want relief.

Just watched the replay and we was awesome. Night and day difference for the offense and the D is getting better...And to think all the upside for Gio !

Real QB play. What a pleasure. Kid keeps his head up and looking downfield even when scrambling. For the most part passes on the money. Hard to believe he only developed the skills in the last few weeks.

I agree...except- I'd like coaches to think outside of their paradigms.

If Gio is hurt, next man up. Besides, Allen, Odin, Rettig even Laviano could have been used for situational play...

Just saying maybe we shouldn't lock ourselves up or out...without using all our weapons.

MO
PS I only cursed < 5 times... at the lack of tackling . Right after we scored on Pick 6 - giving up that 94 yard KO return for a TD
was like a hernia repair that's long overdue....and needs a redo if you want relief.
When has Allen or Laviano looked anything like a weapon this year?

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
This thread reminds me of the basketball forum when they cheered that the team scored a basket and only lost by 25 instead of 50

This thread reminds me of the basketball forum when they cheered that the team scored a basket and only lost by 25 instead of 50

You've really got to be kidding with this.

Was it a flawless game by RU? Absolutely not. There were still too many mistakes and too many times when we shot ourselves in the foot. -But if you can't see the fight in this team or the good things that can be built upon from this game, then you're either not looking...or you simply don't want to see them.

Reactions: Local Shill
We almost had a win. Meanwhile, that team to our west that loves to steal our best recruits just beat #2 OSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT