ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln NE newspaper - Nebraska’s awful loss at Rutgers

This crap will continue until Pike and the team change the narrative with consistent winning, starting with reinvigorating the home-court RAC advantage.
You can only imagine what fans of other B1G teams have to say about Rutgers regardless of the situation. Iowa, Indiana, and Wisconsin are the worst when it comes to losing to Rutgers. Even when the RAC was a house of horrors for plenty of Big East teams, several B1G fanbases chalked it up to bad Big East basketball... REALLY.

It was a bad loss from their standpoint. They are an experienced and more talented team with two players who could go to the NBA. They shot poorly from the line and we scrapped and clawed and gave every ounce of energy to win this game. They went into Bloomington and dominated Indiana so yes, they feel this was a bad loss.

You know what? I feel like our loss to Northwestern was a bad loss. That was a very winnable game and I don’t think we should have lost on our home floor but we did.

It was a bad loss from their standpoint. They are an experienced and more talented team with two players who could go to the NBA. They shot poorly from the line and we scrapped and clawed and gave every ounce of energy to win this game. They went into Bloomington and dominated Indiana so yes, they feel this was a bad loss.

You know what? I feel like our loss to Northwestern was a bad loss. That was a very winnable game and I don’t think we should have lost on our home floor but we did.
I believe if Eugene played in the Northwestern game, the outcome is different. I think Rutgers wins that one just on his heart and desire.

Their board was pretty funny last night. Apparently,
losing to Rutgers should be grounds for Miles dismissal. As several had said, this loss will be one that does him in...lol.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
losing to Rutgers should be grounds for Miles dismissal. As several had said, this loss will be one that does him in...lol.
If that’s what their fans think then they should hope we go on s winning streak and upset some teams along the way. That would make their loss, on the road to us, less of a bad loss.

Some of their fans in a message board game thread mentioned we were tougher and wanted it more

Others were assholes and think more highly of their team than they should

I recall when Miles was on the hot seat I think just last year and they turned around and had a pretty good season. But.... they lose Palmer, Watkins and Copeland at the end of this season. Not sure who they have coming in but those are major losses. Reminds me of what penn state lost this year? Roby will be a senior but who knows if he sticks around?

They are still very talented right now for this season. I would rather be in our shoes with the young guys we have but you can never stop recruiting at a high level or things eventually come crashing down. Maybe they have 3-4 studs coming in next year? I don’t know.

Some of their fans in a message board game thread mentioned we were tougher and wanted it more

Others were assholes and think more highly of their team than they should
That seems to be a running theme with most of the B1G when it comes to Rutgers.

Nebraska newspaper take - “Nebraska’s awful loss at Rutgers”. Pretty non-humble stuff.

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...c4b4b9ff-90e5-5c79-baa3-0b776f8d93a3.amp.html

I think this was a reasonable take by the writer. No real potshots at Rutgers - even said "I know it's not impossible to lose at Rutgers" (and cited our win over then-no.16 OSU). The theme was more that Nebraska didn't have the right attitude and didn't play well, NOT that Rutgers is awful and how do you lose to this dreck?

For a team with NCAA-tournament aspirations, an explosive offense, and a good defense, losing to .500 Rutgers team that just got blown out by 35 points, and whose best player was playing on 1-1/2 legs, IS a bad loss. No other way to look at it if you're a Nebraska follower.

I think this was a reasonable take by the writer. No real potshots at Rutgers - even said "I know it's not impossible to lose at Rutgers" (and cited our win over then-no.16 OSU). The theme was more that Nebraska didn't have the right attitude and didn't play well, NOT that Rutgers is awful and how do you lose to this dreck?

For a team with NCAA-tournament aspirations, an explosive offense, and a good defense, losing to .500 Rutgers team that just got blown out by 35 points, and whose best player was playing on 1-1/2 legs, IS a bad loss. No other way to look at it if you're a Nebraska follower.
The guys email and phone number is there. Going to reach out and say "Get used to it"
I remember back when their bball coach almost upgraded and came to Rutgers.

Big Ten fans react to losing to Rutgers like we would if we lost to Kean University. You don’t see them as equals. If funny how big ten fans say that Rutgers sucks and shouldn’t be in the conference, but when Rutgers wins...”how could you lose to freakin Rutgers?”

Can’t have it both ways.

They never say that when they lose to us in women's basketball.

We finished last in the league for a while. Respect has to be earned, and it's coming.

Scarlet Jerry

Their team was real loose warming up. Like they were coming in for a scrimmage. Once we cranked it up, they didn't know what hit them. Thanks to some real hard nosed play on our part it was a very enjoyable evening for the RU fan. $$$$

Didn’t have the right attitude is a cop out. The coach did a bad job. He was out coached. The effort was not good by the Nebraska players. Rutgers outhustled and outworked them. And their free throw numbers were awful. The attitude angle is Weird Science. Weak.

Games like this show the upside of what the RU team can be.....the framework is there......with a relatively seasoned PG and a couple 3 point snipers.....the BIG will be crying a lot more after playing RU.

Reactions: JQRU91
Big Ten fans react to losing to Rutgers like we would if we lost to Kean University. You don’t see them as equals. If funny how big ten fans say that Rutgers sucks and shouldn’t be in the conference, but when Rutgers wins...”how could you lose to freakin Rutgers?”

Can’t have it both ways.

Aren’t these expressing the same thing- that Rutgers sucks??

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Aren’t these expressing the same thing- that Rutgers sucks??

They have a lot of different ways to say Rutgers sucks. There is a strange superiority complex from some of these midwestern schools because they are "land grant" schools (as if that is somehow important??) and the fact that they were in the big name conferences longer than RU.

It's beyond their brainwashed minds to lose to little Rutgers.

It's so funny to watch.

Sounds about right. It got Thad Matta fired at OSU.

They have a lot of different ways to say Rutgers sucks. There is a strange superiority complex from some of these midwestern schools because they are "land grant" schools (as if that is somehow important??) and the fact that they were in the big name conferences longer than RU.

It's beyond their brainwashed minds to lose to little Rutgers.

It's so funny to watch.

We're a land grant school.

Yes, i agree losing to Rutgers gets you fired. I was just saying I think its funny.

They are expected to he an NCAA tournament top 20 team. They just lost to a team that hasn’t made NCAA in forever and finishes last in big 10 every year. It is definitely an awful loss from their perspective.

Reactions: zebnatto

Fans make judgments based on perception real or imagined.Rutgers has a perception as a bottom tier basketball program which reinforces opposing fan bases that their team should defeat Rutgers regardless of where the game will be played.

Absolutely. Flip the narrative. Suppose Pikiell is in his 7th season on the Banks and is expected to finally make the tourney. Then loses to Fordham. Exact same reaction.

Plain and simple. You don't lose to Rutgers. If you lose to us you either suck or are overrated.

They are expected to he an NCAA tournament top 20 team. They just lost to a team that hasn’t made NCAA in forever and finishes last in big 10 every year. It is definitely an awful loss from their perspective.

We made the final four, they never even won and NCAA tourny game. Who is the more storied program?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT