ADVERTISEMENT

Linebackers

RU23

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2010
Based on Ash's comments yesterday our top 4 guys are Morris, Roberts, Clayton, and Greg Jones. Marquez and Margolis seem to round out the 2-deep (not sure on Margolis but I do believe Marquez is the backup MLB).

Anyone else surprised we haven't heard anything on Brandon Russell, TJ Taylor, or Isaiah Johnson? They're all older guys on scholarship, and I thought at the very least they'd be competing for starting jobs. But for whatever reason they can't even crack the 2-deep against a bunch of second-year kids and walk-ons. That's probably been the biggest surprise to me this camp.

Based on Ash's comments yesterday our top 4 guys are Morris, Roberts, Clayton, and Greg Jones. Marquez and Margolis seem to round out the 2-deep (not sure on Margolis but I do believe Marquez is the backup MLB).

Anyone else surprised we haven't heard anything on Brandon Russell, TJ Taylor, or Isaiah Johnson? They're all older guys on scholarship, and I thought at the very least they'd be competing for starting jobs. But for whatever reason they can't even crack the 2-deep against a bunch of second-year kids and walk-ons. That's probably been the biggest surprise to me this camp.
Very surprised about Johnson getting little or no mentions.

Reactions: RU23
Surprised Clayton isn't a lock, thought he was the most talented.

Coach Ash has coached some absolute studs. . . Lee, Apple and Raekwon.

He knows exactly what he's looking for at Linebacker.

I totally trust his judgment with regards to the LB/DB's.

I question his experience with Special Teams. . . and I think that's going to be our undoing this year.

I question his experience with Special Teams. . . and I think that's going to be our undoing this year.
Strange post is strange. How many HC's have a special teams background? Okruch was a special teams coordinator at Akron and dealt with the kicking game at Ohio St.

Are you confident in our kicking game?

I question our punting and kicking.
Cintron has apparently looked good, Bonagura has been shaky. So no, not confident. But I thought you meant Ash's inexperience with special teams would be our undoing, not our lack of quality personnel. Ash's lack of experience in that department means nothing.

LB at RU hasn't been a fun position to watch since #55. There's been some good players but no real studs that flashed with any regularity. Nobody leaping over center and pile-ups to tackle QBs and plug diving RBs

Reactions: Usaerfd2
LB at RU hasn't been a fun position to watch since #55. There's been some good players but no real studs that flashed with any regularity. Nobody leaping over center and pile-ups to tackle QBs and plug diving RBs
That may simply have been a by product of the scheme's employed the last three years. They were not very aggressive and were designed with the hope that the offense would make a mistake. Instead of trying to dictate the tempo, RU sat back in a read and react.. Tough to leap over the center when you're constantly told your 1st step should be backwards.

That may simply have been a by product of the scheme's employed the last three years. They were not very aggressive and were designed with the hope that the offense would make a mistake. Instead of trying to dictate the tempo, RU sat back in a read and react.. Tough to leap over the center when you're constantly told your 1st step should be backwards.

Yes that's true and a reason Greene was a rangy, clean-up tackler covering the slackery of those up front. Lots of tackles for an LB often means people aren't doing their job.

Still, Thompson was a 4 year starter with keen mind for the game. Even if recent LB's could jump center I doubt any would have. Thompson almost took opposing offenses personally. He was one of the few who actually showed-up for post-Louisville Cincy game without having cobwebs and stardust stuck on him. Players like that really amp up a defense. Greene didn't have those same intangibles really. Who still has best LB highlights from last 10 years? 55 of course (although I still really like Steve B's SU INT return).

Reactions: thegock

I've opened 2 threads today and they've both contained head-shaking posts by this guy (El Curiouso...). I think we all are very impressed with Ash, no question, but we have MAJOR questions and NO experience at linebacker yet this guy isn't worried about that unit? Shit EVEN ASH has flat-out stated that it is an "area of concern," et al, lol! That being said I agree with him that the kicking game IS going to be a problem. Looks like, once again, we might not have a guy who can put the ball into/through the end zone consistently. SMH.

Last edited:
I've opened 2 threads today and they've both contained head-shaking posts by this guy. I think we all are very impressed with Ash, no question, but we have MAJOR questions and NO experience at linebacker yet this guy isn't worried about that unit? Shit EVEN ASH has flat-out stated that it is an "area of concern," et al, lol! That being said I agree with him that the kicking game IS going to be a problem. Looks like, once again, we might not have a guy who can put the ball into/through the end zone consistently. SMH.
I am very worried about the backers . And we should be as it is an area of weakness right now

Reactions: AreYouNUTS

He put the coach with literally the most coaching/special teams experience in charge of the entire unit. Not sure why that's the unit to worry about.

If your worry was "flood recruited those who are bound for special teams poorly, especially punter and kicker", you'd be right. No shot barbir stays committed to flood last year when Penn state comes calling...which they still would have. Okruch is an above average special teams coach from an experience standpoint.

Thompson was a fine player, but Greene was 2x conference player of the year and an absolute stud.

He put the coach with literally the most coaching/special teams experience in charge of the entire unit. Not sure why that's the unit to worry about.

If your worry was "flood recruited those who are bound for special teams poorly, especially punter and kicker", you'd be right. No shot barbir stays committed to flood last year when Penn state comes calling...which they still would have. Okruch is an above average special teams coach from an experience standpoint.
But he did stay committed to Flood and deccommitted after Ash took over and Okruch visited him. Maybe he was mad at Rytgers when some here criticized the masonry work on his front porch.

D line looks better.D backs look better. Guys in between will be involved in on the job training in a big way. We are a few years and a few recruiting upgrades away from where we will ultimately be.And we will get there.

Let's all agree experience is important...ok we agree on that. But it's not more important than talent. Until I see otherwise, I'm going to assume our LB's are being coached up and have talent.
Talented football players with good coaching a full understanding of the scheme, combined with the attitude and sense of urgency Ash demands they play with, might surprise all of us.

Ummm Khaseem Greene was as good of a LB as there has ever been at RU. And I am a big fan of DT as you mentioned.
I love Greene and he was outstanding but I would probably not call him as good a linebacker as we have ever had. I, too, am worried about LB this year although hopefully they are coached up.

Reactions: KnightsofChrome
Surprised Clayton isn't a lock, thought he was the most talented.
Talent we see on the field, brains are seen in practice.
I am so pleased they pulled Clayton into LB but he must learn his reads his talent is quick reaction and opponents design plays to throw them off. Getting duped may be his shortcoming NOW but with coaching he will get better.
I expect him to be a leading tackler by the end of the season

I've wondered about Johnson as well.

8oiwq.jpg

I've opened 2 threads today and they've both contained head-shaking posts by this guy (El Curiouso...). I think we all are very impressed with Ash, no question, but we have MAJOR questions and NO experience at linebacker yet this guy isn't worried about that unit? Shit EVEN ASH has flat-out stated that it is an "area of concern," et al, lol! That being said I agree with him that the kicking game IS going to be a problem. Looks like, once again, we might not have a guy who can put the ball into/through the end zone consistently. SMH.
The lbs are very much the product of Floods recruiting. Let's hope there are some diamonds in the rough. I have a feeling we will find out pretty quickly.

But he did stay committed to Flood and deccommitted after Ash took over and Okruch visited him. Maybe he was mad at Rytgers when some here criticized the masonry work on his front porch.
at no point during that did he have a penn state offer. he went to a penn state camp solely for that offer. there is no way he passes on penn state to come play for us...he was waiting on that offer and he made that fairly obvious when he passed on a nearly guaranteed 4 year starting job here to be a backup there.

that front porch looked like crap (seriously though, i dont remember anything about a porch)

regarding the other thread topic.....our LB recruiting was...so poor. clayton and jones werent even LB's originally. the successes for those recruited for the position are fairly limited..

We did not want a kicker who had a front porch that looked like that or hired such a terrible mason. Not a Rutgers man. :rolleyes: Seriously, losing him hurt, and hope we sure up our kicking situation.

My guess, based on only a few comments he's made, is that Ash isn't exactly thrilled with our kicking game right now. We still don't know 100% for sure who's taking KO's and I don't think it's because both guys are putting them through the end zone consistently.

Talent we see on the field, brains are seen in practice.
I am so pleased they pulled Clayton into LB but he must learn his reads his talent is quick reaction and opponents design plays to throw them off. Getting duped may be his shortcoming NOW but with coaching he will get better.
I expect him to be a leading tackler by the end of the season

I'm not as big on Clayton as others here are, he has speed issues even after being knocked down a level and adding 15-20 pounds.......Johnson was a reach from the beginning fellas

I'm not as big on Clayton as others here are, he has speed issues even after being knocked down a level and adding 15-20 pounds.......Johnson was a reach from the beginning fellas
What speed issues does Clayton have? I've heard people say it, but I'm not seeing anything claiming he's slow.

Doesn't run a 4.3 40.
And only a few of the current DB run 4.3 on this team. Clayton only needs to be faster than 4.8 to have decent speed at LB. A good strength and conditioning program will increase or maintain speed while putting the weight on.

Last edited:
Johnson when I looked at his HUDL was never a B1G linebacker to me. More of a depth guy. LB need an influx of guys but hopefully Neimann and Ash can duct tape it together this year. Roberts should be starting at WLB but there are no capable MLB's. My guess is Taylor isn't completely healthy or can't pick up the scheme. Russell is depth guy.

Khaseen wrecked everything in his path at RU. Can't wait to watch great LB'er play again at RU. A week away. These guys are going to be hunting out there.

ADVERTISEMENT