Nov 19, 2005
What's it look like? Am I close?

1: Sanders / Johnson
2: Johnson / Williams
3: Laurent / Thiam / Bullock
4: Freeman / Sa
5: Diallo / Doorson

Agree, except I see Doorson starting over Diallo

I also think you'll see some Bullock at the 2 and Williams playing some point guard

I think we can have a lot of success playing small and fast, with three guards and Freeman and Sa up front. Wouldn't be surprised if our lineup and minute distribution resembled something like this...

PG Sanders (32), Johnson (8)
SG Johnson (22), Williams (14), Bullock (4)
SF Williams (12), Laurent (22), Thiam (6)
PF Freeman (27), Thiam (8), Laurent (3), Sa (2)
C Sa (22), Doorson (14), Diallo (4)

I think we see a really solid 10-man rotation next season...

Sanders (32)
Johnson (30)
Freeman (27)
Williams (26)
Laurent (25)
Sa (24)
Thiam (14)
Doorson (14)
Diallo (4)
Bullock (4)

I think we can have a lot of success playing small and fast, with three guards and Freeman and Sa up front. Wouldn't be surprised if our lineup and minute distribution resembled something like this...

Sanders (32)
Johnson (30)
Freeman (27)
Williams (26)
Laurent (25)
Sa (24)
Thiam (14)
Doorson (14)
Diallo (4)
Bullock (4)

I think Sa starts at start of season but Doorson comes around. Or Doorson might just be ready to go. Sa seems more reliable at this point. Nice breakdown.

I don't know enough about Sa to know what position he has played mostly at San Jacinto, but I'm sure there is footage out there of his games to get a feel for what type of player he usually guards.

Also, I think there is a common misconception that Sa is all arms and defense, similar to a more complete Hamady N'Diaye. Just by looking at Sa's stats (9.8 points, 7.6 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 3.8 blocks, 35.1% from 3), I think he is more of a poor man's Herve Lamizana. He's lengthy, but seems to have himself a bit of touch offensively. If that's the case, then Sa, as more of a floor stretcher, should work well with Freeman, who thrives in the post. If that proves right, then I think our starting five resembles something similar to our lineup in 2003-04, when we made it to the NIT finals...three guards, bruising PF (Axani/Freeman) stretchy C (Lamizana/Sa).

Maybe that's all wishful thinking, but I really think Sa can be a big help for us over the next two years.

tough to comment on Sa, Bullock, Thiam without seeing them play at this level.

If I were to venture a guess the starting 5 is....Sanders Johnson Williams Laurent Freeman. I think a 5th year or a walk on actually gets minutes. If Sa and Thiam are ready to play from day 1 then maybe not.

If I were to venture a guess the starting 5 is....Sanders Johnson Williams Laurent Freeman. I think a 5th year or a walk on actually gets minutes. If Sa and Thiam are ready to play from day 1 then maybe not.

I don't see a starting lineup that has three guards and the tallest front court player at 6'6" or 6'7".

Reactions: Scangg and TruJerz
From what I saw of Sa, he spent most of his time at the high post and perimeter on offense. But the team was heavily guard oriented, might just have been the offense sets.

I don't know enough about Sa to know what position he has played mostly at San Jacinto, but I'm sure there is footage out there of his games to get a feel for what type of player he usually guards.

Also, I think there is a common misconception that Sa is all arms and defense, similar to a more complete Hamady N'Diaye. Just by looking at Sa's stats (9.8 points, 7.6 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 3.8 blocks, 35.1% from 3), I think he is more of a poor man's Herve Lamizana. He's lengthy, but seems to have himself a bit of touch offensively. If that's the case, then Sa, as more of a floor stretcher, should work well with Freeman, who thrives in the post. If that proves right, then I think our starting five resembles something similar to our lineup in 2003-04, when we made it to the NIT finals...three guards, bruising PF (Axani/Freeman) stretchy C (Lamizana/Sa).

Maybe that's all wishful thinking, but I really think Sa can be a big help for us over the next two years.

35.1 percent on how many attempts?

And another intriguing piece to Sa...he is 23 years old. So have to assume physically he would be mature enough to step right in and be a cog for us down low.

Reactions: Scangg

That lineup is way too small and people playing out of position IMO

I get where FIG is going. Pikiell may not go that small...but The college game is going smaller. Villanova winning may accelerate the process.....but they did have one big man and 4 others 6 6" and under.

Last edited:

With our guard depth (lack thereof) I don't see how you can start Sanders, Williams AND Johnson. In that scenario you couldn't avoid having at least one of the three out there for 12-14 straight minutes to start a game. And heaven forbid any of one of the three picked up two quick fouls.

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
It would seem there are 3 certain starters: Sanders and Johnson at the guard positions, and Freeman at PF.

I would think Laurent has a HUGE leg up to begin the season as the starting WF (and I would unbelievably surprised if he starts at PF and Freeman starts at C ... Freeman is not nearly big or strong enough to be a reliable and regular center in the Big Ten). It is a HUGE assumption that an unseen Freshman player like Thiam would beat out Laurent, who played rather well more often than not, last season.

Which leaves the Center slot. I would think Doorson, or perhaps Sa. Based on what I saw last season, Diallo has a long way to go before he deserves to be the starting Center (barring injuries) - especially defensively. He seemed to be a solid rebounder, and eager to participate offensively (even if he is raw offensively), but he was simply awful defensively, and needs a lot of improvement there - which with practice should be able to occur.

Sanders (32)
Johnson (30)
Freeman (27)
Williams (26)
Laurent (25)
Sa (24)
Thiam (14)
Doorson (14)
Diallo (4)
Bullock (4)

This is almost exactly how I see things shaking out...

it has us playing 3 guards about 8 minutes a game...

You can't expect a front court guy to play more than 27 mpg and really get after it without playing in fear of getting in foul trouble. 27 mpg for a front court guy is like 32 mpg except taking into consideration the foul trouble that will cause minutes to be sat...and that is right about where Freeman and Laurent are to be

I think that 52 mpg assigned to Sa, Thiam and Doorson could be rearranged a bit...

If this is our team for 2016-2017...it has plenty of 3 star talent...need to be developed

And would like to see...for the class of 2017 (assuming we are done...I know about the twins)
1.) A Point guard
2.) A shooting guard
3.) A post player

We will have for 2017-2018 when these guys enter two senior guards and a junior in Corey who could go early...so we must get two guards

Like to see third ship on a PF/C since...we will have two junior centers and two senior power forwards on 2017-2018

It would seem there are 3 certain starters: Sanders and Johnson at the guard positions, and Freeman at PF.

I would think Laurent has a HUGE leg up to begin the season as the starting WF (and I would unbelievably surprised if he starts at PF and Freeman starts at C ... Freeman is not nearly big or strong enough to be a reliable and regular center in the Big Ten). It is a HUGE assumption that an unseen Freshman player like Thiam would beat out Laurent, who played rather well more often than not, last season.

Which leaves the Center slot. I would think Doorson, or perhaps Sa. Based on what I saw last season, Diallo has a long way to go before he deserves to be the starting Center (barring injuries) - especially defensively. He seemed to be a solid rebounder, and eager to participate offensively (even if he is raw offensively), but he was simply awful defensively, and needs a lot of improvement there - which with practice should be able to occur.

I agree. If he's 100% healthy, I think Doorson starts, especially by the Big10 opener. Doorson played well down the stretch in conference play in the 2014-2015 season.

I agree. If he's 100% healthy, I think Doorson starts, especially by the Big10 opener. Doorson played well down the stretch in conference play in the 2014-2015 season.

That's one of the most under-rated and unknown facts by some of this board. Doorson played well as a true freshmen. I cringe when I see people post comments like he is a stiff. He will continue to develop. As will Diallo.

Reactions: RickB113
Starting five will have to be Sanders, Johnson or Williams, Laurent, Freeman, and Doorson unless there is a physical reason to go in another direction. Not a bad starting five. The problem is the bench. You have a three guard rotation with only one true point. All three are small. Don't know if Bullock can make the transition to guard. Up front, Diallo has shown little, Sa is an unknown, Thiam unknown.

We need a shooter 6'5 or taller and could use a burly forward who can defend and rebound.

My fear with Freeman is that once we play high level competition, he gets moved further and further from the basket where he is not effective. Doorson is going to have to knock off some rust.
On the positive side, Laurent will be much more effective at the 3, Sanders will be better conditioned, and hopefully Johnson and Williams will give us good minutes and more consistent shooting than last year's trio. But as it stands, our guards are still going to be playing too many minutes and are going to be undersized compared to Big10 guards.

We have to hope better conditioning and the new staff results in better defense and better rebounding resulting in our team being more competitive. I don't see enough offense on this team yet to compete with the big boys; don't see enough depth to compete 40 minutes defensively but there are some wild cards and hopefully a few additions to the roster coming.

With our guard depth (lack thereof) I don't see how you can start Sanders, Williams AND Johnson. In that scenario you couldn't avoid having at least one of the three out there for 12-14 straight minutes to start a game. And heaven forbid any of one of the three picked up two quick fouls.

Which is why I think we may end up with another guard somehow OR Batie (if he hasnt graduated) in the mix. In addition, the 1st substiution could be Thiam or Sa for a guard. Sanders is Sanders and Johnson supposedly is real good. If Williams plays hard, defends, and knocks down shots I don't know how you don't make him a starter. Having freeman at the "5" is more a commentary on where I think Doorson and Diallo will be. I envision Doorson getting 2 "3-4 minutes shifts" per half where he is high energy and gets rebounds.

May use that 5 in certain situations OOC but I doubt Pikiell is going to start a small lineup on any regular basis especially during Big10.

Reactions: Scangg
Freeman is a 4 in a 3's body.

Love Batie but he's not someone I want to see in a rotation.

I'd love to hear someone who has seem him play in high school comment on whether they think he is going to be able to transition to 2 guard/3rd guard. I've seen him on film and he does appear to be a savvy player but at this level, athleticism comes into play.

So, I looked at Doorson's numbers from 2015 in games where he played at least 12 minutes, to get a sense of what he looked like with some more time on the court.

In those games, he averaged 14 minutes, with 2.3 points, 2.8 rbs, 0.7 blk, 0.8 TO, and 2.0 fouls.
If you were to expand those numbers to 20 minutes a game, it'd be 3.3 pts, 4.0 rbs, 1.0 blk, 1.1 TO, and 2.8 fouls.

I'd imagine that'd be his "baseline" of sorts, which we'd expect improvement upon with a redshirt year and new coaching staff.

My same guess would be something like Sanders,Johnson,Laurent,Freeman,Sa.

I think you see halfway throughout the year, Thiam competing for Laurents spot and Doorson competing for Sas spot. Hard competition.Williams has seen this level, and has a good chance at being the starting two guard.That also will be good competition.

Id see more traditional to start than a 3 guard line up. Not to mention, running three guards would exhaust our best players, and we do not have a ton of serviceable back up for them. Bullock is a big kid. Usually kids of that weight have issues sliding at D1 level. I could see him covering a 3, and sometimes even a four.

I used the word competition a lot. I think we have a better season than last.

ADVERTISEMENT