ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball LIVE GAME THREAD: Rutgers vs. Fairleigh Dickinson

Ron Harper Jr with 30 points, his career record. Was that not good enough for you?? Geez guys, lots of bandwagon Villanova/Suracuze fans or something that have tuned in this season for the first time
Police 👮‍♀️
fans talk during games...geez

In defense of Mulcahy.. not that he should need it..

How many of the starters missed more shots than he did? Harper, Mathis and Young all missed more shots.

Who lead the team in rebounds tonight? Paul did with 8.

PM was 2nd in assists with 4 (Young had 7)

PM was 2nd in blocks with 2 (Myles had 4, Omoruyi 1)

and YES.. we can tell this was a bad game for him.. offensively.. and it was still somewhat productive.

Last edited:
In defense of Mulcahy.. not that he should need it..

How many of the starters missed more shots than he did? Harper, Mathis and Young all missed more shots.

Who lead the team in rebounds tonight? Paul did with 8.

PM was 2nd in assists with 4 (Young had 7)

PM was 2nd in blocks with 2 (Myles had 4, Omoruyi 1)

and YES.. we can tell this was a bad game for him.. offensively.. and it was still somewhat productive.
Mulcahy did not have a good game, but as you say he found ways to contribute.

Someone called it horrendous above. I don't think that is very accurate.

Mulcahy did not have a good game, but as you say he found ways to contribute.

Someone called it horrendous above. I don't think that is very accurate.
I think Mulcahy is treated similar to Vedral in football.... certain posters are highly critical and watch his every move in order to jump on anything they see as negative.

This.. attention.. causes others to pay attention too. As it is a hot topic. The back and forth between supporters and detractors.

So, yeah, anyone watching saw Mulcahy miss shots, give up baskets.. but did any one of them realize he leads the team in rebounds tonight? No.. because they are looking for the negatives... and talking all about them, play by play.

Mulcahy had, arguably, the 3rd-4th best game vs Sacred Heart.. to Mathis (clearly best) and Omoruyi and Harper. So, yeah, this game seemed far worse. But even then he was a net plus. He didn't take his 0-4 shooting (from 2) and turn it into 2 for 10 in some vain attempt to make his stat line look better.. he did the old-fashioned fix.. hit the boards... passed. Last game Young's shots weren't falling.. and he lead the team in assists.

That's the best thing about this team.. I can hope.. everyone adds something even when they aren't scoring.

Last edited:
Mulcahy isn't a primary ball handler in the Big Ten.

He's more of a "point-forward" who is a "plus" passer who can bring it up occasionally.

I really like how Pikiell puts him in the high post and lets him find the open guy against zones.

Minus the time he put it on the floor and turned it over, of course.

He's more of a "point-forward" who is a "plus" passer who can bring it up occasionally.

I really like how Pikiell puts him in the high post and lets him find the open guy against zones.

While I agree with some of that... facts prove a double standard is employed here...

PM has 1 turnover in 32 minutes..

2 other guards had 4 and 5 turnovers each in 30 and 31 minutes.

That's what I am saying.. certain people are more critical of Mulcahy than they are other players.. and if they are convincing in making their arguments, that leads others to believe criticisms without considering that they may be overly critical.

Reactions: RUDead and Scangg

While I agree with some of that... facts prove a double standard is employed here...

PM has 1 turnover in 32 minutes..

2 other guards had 4 and 5 turnovers each in 30 and 31 minutes.

That's what I am saying.. certain people are more critical of Mulcahy than they are other players.. and if they are convincing in making their arguments, that leads others to believe criticisms without considering that they may be overly critical.
I think he is very much a primary ball handler. At this point he may not be elite in the conference but he is very much capable.

I think he is very much a primary ball handler. At this point he may not be elite in the conference but he is very much capable.
Do I want PM bringing the ball up the court? not especially.. I do not think he is bad at it.. but I think that would attract other teams to stick their best ball0defender on him.. like we would put young opt Mathis to harass the ball. I think there are even better options than Geo for that matter.

HOWEVER... if we settle into a half-court O.. am I happy to see Mulcahy handle the ball at the top of the arc? yes. So he is a ball-handler in one way.. but not the other... not our best at it anyway. And if it is late and we have the lead and other team is going to foul.. by all means, allow PM to handle the ball.

Reactions: miketd1
Do I want PM bringing the ball up the court? not especially.. I do not think he is bad at it.. but I think that would attract other teams to stick their best ball0defender on him.. like we would put young opt Mathis to harass the ball. I think there are even better options than Geo for that matter.

HOWEVER... if we settle into a half-court O.. am I happy to see Mulcahy handle the ball at the top of the arc? yes. So he is a ball-handler in one way.. but not the other... not our best at it anyway. And if it is late and we have the lead and other team is going to foul.. by all means, allow PM to handle the ball.
That's what I was trying to say.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT