ADVERTISEMENT

Live results from the NJ state wrestling championships in Atlantic City

Casale not looking great early. Looked like he tripped backing up early and got taken down.

Last edited:
Casale loses 6-5. He looked much better in the 3rd but he waited way to long to start really attacking and unfortunately Cosgrove stalled the rest of the period out.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Looked like Casales coaches wanted him to cut him with 1:20 left and he said he’d rather turn. 50 seconds later he lets him up. Not sure what on earth he was thinking

Looked like Casales coaches wanted him to cut him with 1:20 left and he said he’d rather turn. 50 seconds later he lets him up. Not sure what on earth he was thinking
Yeah he was much better on his feet in the 3rd so I definitely agree with them. Very curious decision but hopefully it’s a learning experience for him.

Yeah he was much better on his feet in the 3rd so I definitely agree with them. Very curious decision but hopefully it’s a learning experience for him.
I hope I’m not overthinking it but as someone who’s coached at the high school level, that whole interaction seemed off. You have a private school kid who basically got kicked out which is indicative of character issues, and he has to spend his last year at a public high school with way less of a wrestling pedigree. Last match of his career at a school he probably doesn’t want to be at, that interaction seemed like “nah I’m gonna do it my way.” Hope I’m wrong and that’s not a sign of things to come but not a good look. Just my view though.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Once he commited to the ride down 1 I think he should have stayed with it. Cosgrove was doing nothing and I think crowd would have helped get him the stall call which would have tied it then go to SV. Waited way too long to let him up

Reactions: nikoru09
I hope I’m not overthinking it but as someone who’s coached at the high school level, that whole interaction seemed off. You have a private school kid who basically got kicked out which is indicative of character issues, and he has to spend his last year at a public high school with way less of a wrestling pedigree. Last match of his career at a school he probably doesn’t want to be at, that interaction seemed like “nah I’m gonna do it my way.” Hope I’m wrong and that’s not a sign of things to come but not a good look. Just my view though.
I think you are definitely dissecting it too much. He’s from Little Falls and all of the friends he’s grown up with go to PV so it’s definitely not the case that he doesn’t want to be there. It’s not like he ended up at a place where he didn’t know anyone or where he wasn’t welcome. He went to Delbarton for a better opportunity and some times things don’t work out.

He obviously has a lot of confidence in himself and believed he could get points on top either via stall (which he got 1) or turning him. You know that wrestlers don’t always listen to the coaches but I highly doubt that a split second decision made during the 3rd period of the state finals is indicative of a larger attitude problem.

His biggest issue was that he wanted until the 3rd to really get going and wrestle to his potential. Unfortunately it’s just too easy to sit on a lead and stall a large amount of time off the clock especially when you are as talented as Cosgrove.

Reactions: SCNJ
Tallmidge graduates

That Fongaro match was awesome. He looks very skilled. Whalen is no joke.
I have watched Fongaro very little up into the final. To be honest, with Whalen's accolades and how he waltzed through to the final, I was hoping Fongaro would just be able to hang close with him. Boy did he surprise the hell out of me. What a great win. Congrats Joe!! That was a very well earned, state championship.

Casale loses 6-5. He looked much better in the 3rd but he waited way to long to start really attacking and unfortunately Cosgrove stalled the rest of the period out.
He looked lost on his feet the first two periods. None of his shots were even remotely close to anything deep. Cosgrove came to wrestle and Casale didn't until the 3rd.

Reactions: Leonard23 and MS-RU
He looked lost on his feet the first two periods. None of his shots were even remotely close to anything deep. Cosgrove came to wrestle and Casale didn't until the 3rd.
I’m sure it was a rough year for him which easily could have impacted his performance. Kid should have led Delbarton to state title his senior year but instead gets expelled and has to sit out according to transfer rules. With Casale no doubt Delbarton beats BC.

Reactions: Leonard23
Once he commited to the ride down 1 I think he should have stayed with it. Cosgrove was doing nothing and I think crowd would have helped get him the stall call which would have tied it then go to SV. Waited way too long to let him up
i agree......he was frozen on the bottom......but you never know what the ref will do.........it would have been a big gamble.

Is there a list of nj kids division 1 scollies ? Would be interesting to see where kids are going, like cosgrove?

Seems he wanted to turn him or get a stall point. He should've cut him earlier but he also should've gotten the stall point as Cosgrove didn't make any attempts.
Is there a list of nj kids division 1 scollies ? Would be interesting to see where kids are going, like cosgrove?
Cosgrove is going to UPenn along with a bunch of others.

I have watched Fongaro very little up into the final. To be honest, with Whalen's accolades and how he waltzed through to the final, I was hoping Fongaro would just be able to hang close with him. Boy did he surprise the hell out of me. What a great win. Congrats Joe!! That was a very well earned, state championship.
First time poster here but I’ve been tempted for awhile because I’ve felt you guys have been sleeping on Fongaro, the kid made it out of 2 brutal region weight classes his 9th and 10th grade years , won the super region over dunnigan and was 2 seed last year and just had a rough state tournament but the kid is a true wrestling junkie, hes trains everywhere he can , competes all over the country, he already trains with his brother and other D1 guys and lives life the right way and I think Rutgers got an absolute steal grabbing him up when they did .. i believe he has a higher ceiling then White and has a great attitude to keep improving

First time poster here but I’ve been tempted for awhile because I’ve felt you guys have been sleeping on Fongaro, the kid made it out of 2 brutal region weight classes his 9th and 10th grade years , won the super region over dunnigan and was 2 seed last year and just had a rough state tournament but the kid is a true wrestling junkie, hes trains everywhere he can , competes all over the country, he already trains with his brother and other D1 guys and lives life the right way and I think Rutgers got an absolute steal grabbing him up when they did .. i believe he has a higher ceiling then White and has a great attitude to keep improving
great post mr.fongaro....(kidding).......the kid took it to another level when he got the ru ship......i'm sure our staff see's something in this kid.....a well deserved state chip......it's great to get a suriano or an ash.....but kids like perotti, theobold and delvecchio are the heart of the program ....over achievers with something to prove.
jersey tough!

I don't anyone is sleeping on Fongaro. I think coach Donnie, knew he had a diamond in a rough, when recruiting him. I have a friend of mine who lives in the area, which I believe is boonton or montville, I said the kid is super dedicated. Watches his diet, even when he's out with his friends. He's going to be something special. Reminds me of Dayton fix

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I don't anyone is sleeping on Fongaro. I think coach Donnie, knew he had a diamond in a rough, when recruiting him. I have a friend of mine who lives in the area, which I believe is boonton or montville, I said the kid is super dedicated. Watches his diet, even when he's out with his friends. He's going to be something special. Reminds me of Dayton fix
That’s just the hair haha

• Haha
Reactions: KidDagger
ADVERTISEMENT