ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling LIVE - Rutgers vs Rider Updates

Yes they did, they won the close matches, toss ups and even upset a few. Just like Illinois curb stomped us on Fri. 29-6. There were plenty of close matches and we lost them all because Illinois went out and got the win. They were the aggressor.

The team responded and did the same to Rider 25-6, instead of watching the clock they became the aggressor late and went out and got the win. They got the takedowns, escapes and rode their opponents when it counted. Even the losses were hard fought till the end. You act like they did this do to luck, no they went out and grabbed the win by the throat.

Best Home & Home Dual agreements for RU outside of the B1G are vs Lehigh & Princeton in my opinion.
Those two matchups would be nice to see every year.

Best Home & Home Dual agreements for RU outside of the B1G are vs Lehigh & Princeton in my opinion.
Those two matchups would be nice to see every year.
Loved the Lehigh matches, my best friends cousin was their assistant John Hughes. I was in the stands when we beat them for the 1st time in 50 yrs.(or whatever it was) with John's Aunt and my best friend. She screamed the 1st time I come to a Lehigh/Rutgers match and John loses. It was a glorious moment.

Yes they did, they won the close matches, toss ups and even upset a few. Just like Illinois curb stomped us on Fri. 29-6. There were plenty of close matches and we lost them all because Illinois went out and got the win. They were the aggressor.

The team responded and did the same to Rider 25-6, instead of watching the clock they became the aggressor late and went out and got the win. They got the takedowns, escapes and rode their opponents when it counted. Even the losses were hard fought till the end. You act like they did this do to luck, no they went out and grabbed the win by the throat.

okay, where did I insinuate that it was luck? I mentioned that almost every match came down to the wire with two wins at the buzzer. I agree that we grabbed the win by the throat, but the matches couldn’t be any closer. The total score looks like a curb stomp, and we were certainly more aggressive down the stretch in some matches, specifically 125, 165 and HWT, but there wasn’t any one match where we “curb stomped”. Even the match we got a MD, all the points were defensive as Alvarez didn’t get one turn and did not shoot once the whole match. I think the team came to wrestle, and winning the close matches are huge in wrestling. I couldn’t be more pleased with the teams effort and win.

I agree. A 25-6 win is a curb stomping. Winning 8 of 10 matches is a curb stomping. I don't see how you can spin it any other way.

I agree. A 25-6 win is a curb stomping. Winning 8 of 10 matches is a curb stomping. I don't see how you can spin it any other way.

so if Federer wins in straight sets 3-0 over Nadal (7-6), (7-6) and (7-6), is it a curb stomping? I just want to make sure I have been assessing sport competitions properly over the last 50 years.

if you look at RU’s wrestling history, I challenge you to find another match where you had so many (9) tight matches.

so if Federer wins in straight sets 3-0 over Nadal (7-6), (7-6) and (7-6), is it a curb stomping? I just want to make sure I have been assessing sport competitions properly over the last 50 years.

if you look at RU’s wrestling history, I challenge you to find another match where you had so many (9) tight matches.
Ok, we squeaked out a 25-6 win.

If Federer won (7-6), (7-3), (7-6), (7-6), (6-7), (7-6), (6-7), (7-6), (7-6), (7-6)
8 sets to 2.....it would be a butt whoopin :)

I thought the match was incredibly fun to watch. No issue if they continue to schedule them. You can call it a faux rivalry but Rutgers clearly elevated their games so they obviously cared a ton about this one.
That was clearly obvious to anyone that was there in person ..really intense at times so why end the meetings ..am I missing something ?

Rider is nothing but a nuisance. They act like children and the coaches mat side behavior is tiresome. The internet smack they were talking a few years was silly. Glad you guys enjoy it but I’m ready to move on. Much prefer Lehigh on schedule.

Rutgers Wrestling at Rider isn't much better than Rutgers Football playing at Monmouth.

If Rider wants to wrestle at the Rac then fine. But, Rutgers Wrestling has very little to gain
from wrestling at Rider.

Rutgers Wrestling has bigger fish to fry on the road now.
Rutgers Wrestling is at another level.
The goal should be to wrestle the best.

Some of you guys are acting like Rider is a throwaway D3 program. They’ve spent most of the season ranked in the top 20, could potentially have multiple all Americans, and many people here were speculating before the match that Rider could potentially win the dual. It was a high intensity match where nearly every bout was close. And it seemingly has turned Rutgers season around.

Penn State wrestles American University to end their season. Even if Rider wasn’t very good, not every dual needs to be against the most elite programs. Rider was a fun match and I’m assuming a very convenient one to schedule. They also may be getting multiple NJ state champs next season and are only improving.

Some of you guys are acting like Rider is a throwaway D3 program. They’ve spent most of the season ranked in the top 20, could potentially have multiple all Americans, and many people here were speculating before the match that Rider could potentially win the dual. It was a high intensity match where nearly every bout was close. And it seemingly has turned Rutgers season around.

Penn State wrestles American University to end their season. Even if Rider wasn’t very good, not every dual needs to be against the most elite programs. Rider was a fun match and I’m assuming a very convenient one to schedule. They also may be getting multiple NJ state champs next season and are only improving.
I agree with you. Keep Rider on the slate. And it's one extra dual I can conceivably go to when in Lawrenceville.

At no point did I say they didn’t have a talented roster. Their leadership has acted like children over the past few years and RU has nothing to gain by putting themselves in a “rival” position with them. They are not our rival. I’ve said my piece but I have a sneaky suspicion Goody would agree with me.

Last edited:
At no point did I say they didn’t have a talented roster. They’re leadership has acted like children over the past few years and RU has nothing to gain by putting themselves in a “rival” position with them. They are not our rival. I’ve said my piece but I have a sneaky suspicion Goody would agree with me.

6 schools from outside the B1G that are better academically and have better wrestling programs than Rider.
Each is more more deserving of Home & Home agreements with Rutgers than Rider.
The 6 schools, their 2020 wrestling rankings & NCAA Tournament Top 20 finishes since 2016:

Princeton 2020 Top 15, 2019 15th
Lehigh 2020 Top 12, 2019 13th, 2018 15th, 2017 12th, 2016 14th
Cornell 2020 Top 17, 2019 7th, 2018 7th, 2017 8th, 2016 7th
VT 2020 Top 18, 2019 11th, 2018 8th, 2017 6th, 2016 4th
NC St 2020 Top 10, 2019 17th, 2018 4th, 2017 17th, 2016 11th
UNC 2020 Top 15, 2019 19th, 2018 20th

Rider NOT Top 20 in 2020 & has never finished in Top 20 since 2016

Reactions: elvis7
6 schools from outside the B1G that are better academically and have better wrestling programs than Rider.
Each is more more deserving of Home & Home agreements with Rutgers than Rider.
The 6 schools, their 2020 wrestling rankings & NCAA Tournament Top 20 finishes since 2016:

Princeton 2020 Top 15, 2019 15th
Lehigh 2020 Top 12, 2019 13th, 2018 15th, 2017 12th, 2016 14th
Cornell 2020 Top 17, 2019 7th, 2018 7th, 2017 8th, 2016 7th
VT 2020 Top 18, 2019 11th, 2018 8th, 2017 6th, 2016 4th
NC St 2020 Top 10, 2019 17th, 2018 4th, 2017 17th, 2016 11th
UNC 2020 Top 15, 2019 19th, 2018 20th

Rider NOT Top 20 in 2020 & has never finished in Top 20 since 2016

We already schedule Princeton annually. We wrestled Cornell this year and I’m assuming we’ll head to their place next year.

As for the rest, sure it would be nice to wrestle those team but who knows what their out of conference scheduling looks like. All I know is Rider is like an hour long commute compared to a 2-day minimum trip for the rest.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Whythe hating on Rider ...the first three teams on our schedule were nothing to brag about either ..at least Rider added some real excitement and if you were there you woulda seen it for yourself ...probably the most intensity of anyone this year ..who cares that the coaches were annoying as hell ..who cares that it is a small gym ....you are way off the mark with your opinion of the rivalry

Whythe hating on Rider ...the first three teams on our schedule were nothing to brag about either ..at least Rider added some real excitement and if you were there you woulda seen it for yourself ...probably the most intensity of anyone this year ..who cares that the coaches were annoying as hell ..who cares that it is a small gym ....you are way off the mark with your opinion of the rivalry
Agree dropping a school for coaches who are annoying isn't the way scheduling works nor should it.Many coaches are annoying if your close enough to hear what they're saying.I get being upset about social media banter but that's society now.I don't like it either but I'm not gonna let social media dictate my schedule

Agree dropping a school for coaches who are annoying isn't the way scheduling works nor should it.Many coaches are annoying if your close enough to hear what they're saying.I get being upset about social media banter but that's society now.I don't like it either but I'm not gonna let social media dictate my schedule
If coaches being annoying was the criteria for scheduling no one would wrestle OK state.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
We already schedule Princeton annually. We wrestled Cornell this year and I’m assuming we’ll head to their place next year.

As for the rest, sure it would be nice to wrestle those team but who knows what their out of conference scheduling looks like. All I know is Rider is like an hour long commute compared to a 2-day minimum trip for the rest.

Lehigh is like an hour commute into Eastern Pennsylvania, an area that Rutgers wants to be able to recruit well to compete nationally.

Lehigh is like an hour commute into Eastern Pennsylvania, an area that Rutgers wants to be able to recruit well to compete nationally.
That’s fine. I’m not against the idea of scheduling top opponents whether local or not, I just don’t agree with the people who want to drop Rider no questions asked.

That’s fine. I’m not against the idea of scheduling top opponents whether local or not, I just don’t agree with the people who want to drop Rider no questions asked.
Me either ....at least notfor the reasons he was saying lol

Iowa and Okie State should never be scheduled again based on the "annoying coaches" criteria :Sly:

I can't believe we have nine pages on Rutgers vs Rider.

Welcome to Rutgers' sports boards. Where one is free to post an opinion and then incessantly long dialogues are formed until a better topic comes along.

ADVERTISEMENT