ADVERTISEMENT

LJ Figueroa in Transfer Portal

A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

This is a guy pike should go after HARD. I dont think he will but this is the type of guy where if we land him it wouldnt be unreasonable to talk about a DEEP march/april run in 2021

Didn't see any SJU games this year, so I went to twitter. This was the first scuting report I saw:
@BrandonTierney
·
41m

Per reports, LJ Figueroa will transfer from St. John's. Definitely surprising news. Terrific kid, played hard. Streaky shooter, defensively versatile. Will be tough to fill gap of 15 ppg, but efficiency should spike. Really struggled w/shot selection and consistent makes. #SJUBB

This sounds like it could have been written about a player who transferred out of RU a couple years ago.

Don’t need but want.

Led the BE in steals. Averaged 14.5ppg on 36.5% from 3 (and he shot a lot of 3’s). Shot horrendously from 2, though.

He may want to go and be the guy somewhere, in which case we have no chance. If he wants to go somewhere and win and be a bit more than a role player (Yeboah-esque), we are a great fit.

Also friendly with Geo...

Reactions: RUby RED
Risky, because he would be a cog here. Would need to have Yeboah personality.

Reactions: RU23
Risky, because he would be a cog here. Would need to have Yeboah personality.
Thats what he doesnt have. Alot more talented though.

geo-jacob-figueroa-harper-myles with cliff montez caleb and paul off the bench is final 4 caliber imo

Reactions: cshelley
Thats what he doesnt have. Alot more talented though.

geo-jacob-figueroa-harper-myles with cliff montez caleb and paul off the bench is final 4 caliber imo
I wonder what the chances of him getting a waiver are ? It’s probably worth the risk to kick the tires at least . Tough to keep all of those guys happy with minutes but from a talent only perspective would be a huge pickup if he can mesh with our team . Pike likes a certain personality type and guys who aren’t me players so he’d have to do some research on that aspect

My theory is this.. Now that McConnell, Mathis, and Harper are upperclassmen - I can't see Pike messing with that chemistry. He would potentially be recruiting over one of them - and I believe he probably loves them dudes to much.. They built this damn thing from scratch with him - thru a grind and hard work. After his original guys are gone - he'll probably stack the best talent he can and let it sort itself out.

Last edited:
My theory is this.. Now that McConnell, Mathis, and Harper are upperclassmen - I can't see Pike messing with that chemistry. He would potentially be recruiting over one of them - and I believe he probably loves them dudes to much.. They built this damn thing from scratch with him - thru a grind and hard work. After his original guys are gone - he'll probably stack the best talent he can and let it sort itself out.
We are only 7 deep next year plus freshmen and Duke. Injuries happen. You can’t miss out on talent because you might hurt some feelings when you aren’t loaded, in my opinion.

He's not a grad transfer and the NCAA isn't going to waive the no-sit out rule....so you're tying up a ship to have a player sit out and then play 1 year??

This is a player who will have a long list of suitors, I don't see this happening on either side....if he was a grad transfer, different story.

Reactions: shields
He's not a grad transfer and the NCAA isn't going to waive the no-sit out rule....so you're tying up a ship to have a player sit out and then play 1 year??

This is a player who will have a long list of suitors, I don't see this happening on either side....if he was a grad transfer, different story.
My bad. Wouldn’t he be like Young? Sit one play two?

You recruit over someone like say McConnell and you probably lose him and it rubs his friends on the team the wrong way. These are the day 1 program builders. It took a special effort to get here, I don't think coach is gonna go over his guys. And its not 7 deep

Cliff, Mawot, Oskar will be Sophomores + the freshmen class with Jaden Jones and 2 other players. Its gonna be another strong team in 2021

We are only 7 deep next year plus freshmen and Duke. Injuries happen. You can’t miss out on talent because you might hurt some feelings when you aren’t loaded, in my opinion.

Tying up a ship? I mean we have 1-2 open anyway not being used. And if he doesnt get a waiver, hes a sit one to play 2. Where do I sign?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Tying up a ship? I mean we have 1-2 open anyway not being used. And if he doesnt get a waiver, hes a sit one to play 2. Where do I sign?
Hawk says he’s a sit one play one, looks like he spent a year at Odessa College before playing 2 at SJU.

he would need to get a waiver. they are saying that coronavirus will be reason for the waiver as NYC is the epicenter of the epidemic. unfortunately, NJ isnt much better. so asking for a waiver because NYC is epicenter but then going to the state with the second most cases isnt going to get you the waiver.

Sit one, play two...me likely.

Sit one, play one...not so much.
Why not? If were gonna leave a couple ships open anyway every year might as well have it used on a dynamic player who can sit on the bench and practice

Reactions: Scangg
Hawk says he’s a sit one play one, looks like he spent a year at Odessa College before playing 2 at SJU.
True, used 3 years of eligibility up and will have to sit one to play one.
If he gets a waiver before transferring, I'd be for putting him on the team.
But at the sit one to play one price, not interested

Figueroa, a junior college transfer from Odessa College, is not graduating after his fourth year of school and therefore will not be immediately eligible if he transfers schools. He would be required to sit out one year per NCAA rules, unless it grants him a waiver to play immediately, which he has a very strong chance of receiving.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/st-johns/lj-figueroa-transfer-portal-1.44964128

Good player. Tough one if he was interested but I don’t it happening. Too many minutes to take away from other guys.

Reactions: shields
You recruit over someone like say McConnell and you probably lose him and it rubs his friends on the team the wrong way. These are the day 1 program builders. It took a special effort to get here, I don't think coach is gonna go over his guys. And its not 7 deep

Cliff, Mawot, Oskar will be Sophomores + the freshmen class with Jaden Jones and 2 other players. Its gonna be another strong team in 2021
2021 Jaylen Blakes would be a good fit as well.

If Pike is not going to fill the last ship this year anyway, it won't feel like we are giving a ship for 2 years to get one. Actually it would feel more like taking a grad transfer in '21-22.

To me, it's whether you want potentially 6 seniors in '21-22.

Other ironic thing is Salnave - the Monmouth Univ kid that Eddie tried recruiting to RU - would have committed to SJU and not Depaul - had this scholarship opened up several weeks ago as expected.

Why not? If were gonna leave a couple ships open anyway every year might as well have it used on a dynamic player who can sit on the bench and practice

I am all for a player sitting out as a transfer....here are the 3 situations we usually see.

A) love that player as a freshman transfer with 3 years left (most valuable, you get a minimum of 2 years with the player to see if he fills the role and can leave as a 5th year transfer if he doesn't (not necessarily Peter Kiss situation but exactly a short term risk). I believe a true freshman to a 3rd year sophomore is the best chance to see the best jump in production after a sit out season.

B) OK with the player as a sophomore transfer who sits out..

B1) or a JUCO transfer (usually a sit out transfer exceeds a JUCO, JUCOs usually want and probably should be recruited to fit your Top 8-9 rotation.

C) Not interested in a sit one, play one, unless it's a very unique situation of a starting caliber player, expected to start the following year. You definitely don't want to add to an already heavy graduating class (Myles, Harper, Mathis. Caleb and potentially 2nd year departure Cliff Omoyuri).

Usually the player in this situation is just usually looking to buy a 5th year back of his 4 years of eligibility expires. This is the Eugene Omoyuri or LJ Figueroa situation where the player buys back 1 of the 5 years OR the player believes he's getting a waiver and won't have to sit out.

The Figueroa situation seems like he's expecting to get a waiver to play ASAP. The excuse of getting away from NYC because of the pandemic issues would probably eliminate him transferring 40 miles away to Piscataway, even though NJ pandemic numbers are much less in Piscataway vs parts of Queens NY.

The staff has already given the indication that they prefer a sit out guard, based on offering Santa Clara (former target from NC), Trey Wertz who picked Notre Dame from 20+ offers.....and Sessioms, who had 2 years left and picked PSU.

Reactions: Groz
They’re not James, Bosch and Wade. If you can get good players, get them.

Reactions: Knight Ed
ADVERTISEMENT