ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Long Time assistant Leonardis to take over Scarlet Knights Wrestling Club

Lex Knapp

All Conference
Staff
Mar 27, 2018
John Leonardis, the first assistant wrestling coach ever hired by head coach Scott Goodale, is transitioning to a new role within the program. Leonardis will be coming off the Rutgers wrestling staff to become the Executive Director of the SKWC. The move comes after serving 14 seasons as the assistant coach to Goodale.

Click the link below to read TKR's story on Leonardis' new position, and what it means for the program!

John Leonardis, the first assistant wrestling coach ever hired by head coach Scott Goodale, is transitioning to a new role within the program. Leonardis will be coming off the Rutgers wrestling staff to become the Executive Director of the SKWC. The move comes after serving 14 seasons as the assistant coach to Goodale.

Click the link below to read TKR's story on Leonardis' new position, and what it means for the program!
Interesting move. How does this impact Pollard? Any names for Leo's replacement on staff?

This is a great move. Leonardis will do well in this new role and make the SKWC even stronger. Let's face it, John is close to 50 and being an assistant is a young man's game. Head coach is fine being old as he's the face of the program and shows consistency of winning.

Just got my SKWC e-mail and I like this move so much, we will be increasing our donation.

Last edited:
No impact to Pollard. He is the Director of Operations for Rutgers Wrestling. The job responsibilities are different than John's new role. As you can imagine it "Takes a village" to support a D1 Athletic program.

Tom Perrotti
Great to hear and yes it does.

You think Hahn is leaving a head coaching position for an assistant coach? Not to mention RU would have to come up with close to 50k more than they paid Leo just to pay Hahn the same as he makes in South Dakota.

Any potential names?

I am digging for info!
giphy.gif

Zach Rey would be nice but I think he's still at Lehigh. It's a possibility though.

In Goodale (& entire Staff) I Trust!

So excited for Leo coming on board to SKWC.

As stated above....it “takes a village” to be able to compete & be a top D1 program. An affiliated RTC, such as SKWC, is an absolute necessity 🤑.

Let’s gooooooo! SHARP AXE
Diane

Myles is very focused on competing through the next Olympic cycle at a minimum.
Leo's move as Exec Director with Stef G as exec admin asst will help professionalize processes. As SKWC ambitions grew larger than socials and mentoring, we needed proper infrastructure and day leadership. It is a full time position and then some. So great things ahead and we hope those who can, will opt to match last year's pin pool donation level. As Billy G said, first step of a number of great things to come. Sincerely, josh

Myles is very focused on competing through the next Olympic cycle at a minimum.
Leo's move as Exec Director with Stef G as exec admin asst will help professionalize processes. As SKWC ambitions grew larger than socials and mentoring, we needed proper infrastructure and day leadership. It is a full time position and then some. So great things ahead and we hope those who can, will opt to match last year's pin pool donation level. As Billy G said, first step of a number of great things to come. Sincerely, josh

Any idea who we might add to the staff?

How does it make any sense to hire Ashnault as a coach when he is already an SKWC resident athlete and therefore practices with the team? Wouldnt it make more sense to bring in a big name outsider to fill that coaching role and still have Ashnault at SKWC?

Reactions: njsportsphan
How does it make any sense to hire Ashnault as a coach when he is already an SKWC resident athlete and therefore practices with the team? Wouldnt it make more sense to bring in a big name outsider to fill that coaching role and still have Ashnault at SKWC?
Huh? Being an SKWC resident athlete and Rutgers Wrestling assistant coach are 2 entirely different jobs. Adding Ashnault to the coaching staff, if that's what he wants, is a no-brainer as it allows him to recruit, which could be huge, and I certainly wouldn't want to see him go elsewhere to coach. While I'd like to also bring in another big name in addition to Ashnault, I don't know that we have the $.
Suppose AA wants to coach as a career path and an opportunity is presented to him to become a coach at Columbia, Princeton, Drexel, etc and he accepts? We would look pretty silly facing him during dual meets. Just playing Devil’s Advocate.
This

Reactions: Jersey Boys
We are trying to raise funds for SKWC to have at least a $1 million endowment so we we can compete with Iowa, Penn State and the big guys who who have multi million dollar endowments.

Hopefully we can get there one day.

Any news on the new assistant coach announcement or other SKWC athletes?

Also, I noticed Nestor Taffur (NYC RTC resident athlete and former Columbia U assistant) trainied some in the room over the past month. Is he just diversifying his training, and a workout and travel partner for SeaBass or is he joining SKWC?

Last edited:
Suppose AA wants to coach as a career path and an opportunity is presented to him to become a coach at Columbia, Princeton, Drexel, etc and he accepts? We would look pretty silly facing him during dual meets. Just playing Devil’s Advocate.
So he begins his career journey somewhere else and learns the business and also how someone else does things? At some point we will need a new head coach and/or head assistant. They call it a short list at that point, and it might be just that. You never know. $$$$

So he begins his career journey somewhere else and learns the business and also how someone else does things? At some point we will need a new head coach and/or head assistant. They call it a short list at that point, and it might be just that. You never know. $$$$
Can't let AA leave. He has great mentors at RU he needs to continue to learn under them. RU doesn't need a big guy coach that's what Myles Martin is for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT