ADVERTISEMENT

Looking to next year

Degaz-RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002
Can somebody list which of the 27 seniors will be returning?

That will dictate how many guys we will need from the portal. I **THINK** our lineup would look like this pre-portal:

GK - open — PORTAL?
FOGO - Dugenio, Romanek — PORTAL?
D - Russo
D - Apgar
D - open - not sure if Boswell returns
LSM - Rall?? Reynolds
SSDM - open
SSDM - open? not sure if any of Daninger, Kamish, Coyne, and Franckowiak are returning
M - Knobloch
M - Sprock hopefully back from injury?
M - open/Jacoby?? — do Aimone and/or Teresky step up
A - Scott
A - Cameron
A - open/Bartolo?? — Kulas to step up? PORTAL?

Kamish is going pro so he's gone. I think we are getting Harvard's goalie in the portal as a grad transfer. One thing I'd like to see us do more of next year is press clears on defense. Force mistakes in the defensive clears to lead to fast break opportunities. We could definitely go after a middie in the portal along with 1-2 defenders.

Last years offseason was fun to watch knowing we lost so much at attack but I'm even more excited to see how Brecht attacks this year. Love these threads

Can somebody list which of the 27 seniors will be returning?

That will dictate how many guys we will need from the portal. I **THINK** our lineup would look like this pre-portal:

GK - open — PORTAL?
FOGO - Dugenio, Romanek — PORTAL?
D - Russo
D - Apgar
D - open - not sure if Boswell returns
LSM - Rall?? Reynolds
SSDM - open
SSDM - open? not sure if any of Daninger, Kamish, Coyne, and Franckowiak are returning
M - Knobloch
M - Sprock hopefully back from injury?
M - open/Jacoby?? — do Aimone and/or Teresky step up
A - Scott
A - Cameron
A - open/Bartolo?? — Kulas to step up? PORTAL?
I do not believe that any of the SSDM are returning and only one can (Daninger)
Jacoby is not returning
Bartolo is not returning

We have good solid pieces coming back and can fill open spots with nice athletic kids-- watch for kids like Ringer Carter Russo and Justin Lawler to get the first crack at SSDM. When I spoke to Matt Dollive he said that he would be red-shirting but I could see him getting a look as he is a great athlete.
On offense- there are many options But I think that Kulas can slide into that Bartolo spot even though he appears to be more of a catch and shooter. Aimone and Teresky can be plus offensive players to add to Knobloch and Sprock.
The defense brings back a very strong core with Russo, Rall and Reynolds all back. I did not know that Apgar is back I know that they are high on McKelvy, Crosby and Rickens
Goalie - this is where it gets dicey with all three seniors leaving they lose anyone who has started a division 1 lacrosse game, I hope that the rumors are true about the Harvard goalie because as of this moment their are not many great goalies in the portal.
Still lots of time for people to enter the portal and their are several kids still weighing this option. but, we are going to have to go there again I think.

Midfield and goal are the biggest need right now and hopefully goalie is solved with the Harvard kid. At attack Scott and Cameron are both back and I think Kulas will step in nicely for Bartolo. LSM is set with Rall and Reynolds back and I hear there is a lot of young talent behind those two. Defense returns JJF and Russo but I was under the impression that both Apgar and Boswell are out of eligibility. If Apgar is back that is great news. Otherwise it will be maybe one of the young poles or a portal player for the third spot.

Faceoff doesn’t even need to be said. We have to find a way to get better at that spot because in a game like yesterday when we were not as sharp as we usually are elsewhere, faceoffs are away to steal possessions. It is hard to win championships with below average faceoff stats.

I wonder if we will pull in another big step down shooter from the portal like Kirst and Bartolo, or maybe we already have him in Sprock. Knobloch and Sprock will complement each other nicely. I’m guessing either Aimone or Teresky will step in for Gallagher if not a portal player. Would be nice to pick up an outside sniper like Jacoby. He was a great addition.

Most concerned about SSDM. They are really the heartbeat of our team and we are losing 3 of the best, though glad to hear Daninger is planning on coming back. The good news is that 1) we value SSDMs very highly so there is no stigma around the position like there can be in other programs, and 2) we are getting to a place where we reload rather than rebuild so opportunities for playing time are extremely competitive so players will fight for any chance to see the field regardless of position, so there should be good competition.

Midfield and goal are the biggest need right now and hopefully goalie is solved with the Harvard kid. At attack Scott and Cameron are both back and I think Kulas will step in nicely for Bartolo. LSM is set with Rall and Reynolds back and I hear there is a lot of young talent behind those two. Defense returns JJF and Russo but I was under the impression that both Apgar and Boswell are out of eligibility. If Apgar is back that is great news. Otherwise it will be maybe one of the young poles or a portal player for the third spot.

Faceoff doesn’t even need to be said. We have to find a way to get better at that spot because in a game like yesterday when we were not as sharp as we usually are elsewhere, faceoffs are away to steal possessions. It is hard to win championships with below average faceoff stats.

I wonder if we will pull in another big step down shooter from the portal like Kirst and Bartolo, or maybe we already have him in Sprock. Knobloch and Sprock will complement each other nicely. I’m guessing either Aimone or Teresky will step in for Gallagher if not a portal player. Would be nice to pick up an outside sniper like Jacoby. He was a great addition.

Most concerned about SSDM. They are really the heartbeat of our team and we are losing 3 of the best, though glad to hear Daninger is planning on coming back. The good news is that 1) we value SSDMs very highly so there is no stigma around the position like there can be in other programs, and 2) we are getting to a place where we reload rather than rebuild so opportunities for playing time are extremely competitive so players will fight for any chance to see the field regardless of position, so there should be good competition.
Great point on 2. Our SSDMs are celebrated. At other programs they stash guys there.

Great point on comp. I said it when I saw them practice back in November. Inter squad scrimmage. It was super competitive. I was shocked. I asked Gally and a few other guys if it was always like that and they said yes. I knew then we were going to be solid. The culture is very good in the program. Now it has to stay that way.

Daninger coming back would be really helpful. a couple of other kids are going to have to step up and take that role, Brian Russo is an excellent athlete who I think was running some D-Mid but could also play offensive middie as well. I will be interested in how they use Logan Peters wo is an attackman but I believe saw a few runs at middie this spring. Russo, Lawler, and Carter are all 6 feet or taller and good athletes so they have options here just not a lot of experience.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
I think Peters is a middie at this point unless they switch him back. The scrimmage I saw in the fall I thought Lawler really popped at SSDM. Obviously a tough spot to break into but wouldn’t be shocked to see him moved up to a starting role.

I think that If you get the Goalie from Harvard and the two kids from Yale we are cooking, as Tevlin comes in to pair with Daninger as the top SSDM group, Fake comes in as the top cover defender. The only concern I have is that I have heard fake's name come up with UMD and UVA as well

I think that If you get the Goalie from Harvard and the two kids from Yale we are cooking, as Tevlin comes in to pair with Daninger as the top SSDM group, Fake comes in as the top cover defender. The only concern I have is that I have heard fake's name come up with UMD and UVA as well

Be nice if Mullin would bring Madronic with him from Harvard to bolster the attack. And is there any word of what Piatelli is going to do next year? For the next 2 years it's going to be "what happens to the Ivy seniors?"

Be nice if Mullin would bring Madronic with him from Harvard to bolster the attack. And is there any word of what Piatelli is going to do next year? For the next 2 years it's going to be "what happens to the Ivy seniors?"
the same can be said for Several of the Princeton seniors. But, Cornell is a little more flexible and uses the 8 semester rule pretty well. Like, I know that several of the Cornell kids unenrolled last spring to save the semester I am not sure if Piatelli did it but I know that several others did like Kirst

Uva would curious. Their entire defense returns. I think he may have been a verbal there before Yale though.

Any chance we lose guys to the portal? The risk of relying so heavily on plug and play guys is the recruits may not grow in the program and it could hollow out from the inside. Always remember KSU with football. It becomes hard to undo...

I do think RU is uniquely positioned for the grad transfers looking for business degrees being so close to NYC.

I don't anticipate we take a haul like we had last year. Some of the guys we wanted are off the board. I do expect us to take some though.

The locker room is great. It's how we've been able to attract and assimilate these guys in the first place. We missed on a couple of guys we wanted, that everyone wanted, so it will be interesting to see who is a take and who isn't.

Could easily see a goalie, a fogo, a defenseman, an attackman and a couple of middies, or some combination thereof.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
I don't anticipate we take a haul like we had last year. Some of the guys we wanted are off the board. I do expect us to take some though.

The locker room is great. It's how we've been able to attract and assimilate these guys in the first place. We missed on a couple of guys we wanted, that everyone wanted, so it will be interesting to see who is a take and who isn't.

Could easily see a goalie, a fogo, a defenseman, an attackman and a couple of middies, or some combination thereof.
Well, that's almost as many as last year's haul, as we took 7 incoming transfers last year.

This year, a goalie is an absolute necessity.

I would think a FOGO is a necessity.

I would think a couple of SSDMs are a necessity, but based on recent history, could you also see BB moving offensive middies there (e.g., Aimone, Teresky, etc.)? Or are one or more of the younger middies "ready" to step up?

Guessing we would also want one attackman, but not sure about close D. We already know Bobby Russo is staying, but need to determine which of JJF, Boswell, and Apgar are staying. Is moving a guy like Remi Reynolds to close D a possibility with Rall staying at LSM? Or are there younger close D guys who are ready to step up to contributing roles?

Maybe not 7 this year, but perhaps 5?

Salisbury and Taft are playing now, the goalie and one of the attack(Murphy) for Salisbury are committed to RU for anyone interested in our future.

Reactions: Caliknight
He was playing from X and had a goal and two assists if I recall correctly. I thought his stick skills looked great but I didn't see as much dodging as I would have liked because Deere and Behrman were Salisbury's first options. I hate to admit it but Syracuse is getting a stud in Deere.

I really liked Wimmershoff's game and he has tempered my concerns for a replacement in the cage, albeit he is a 23.

Will be interesting to see how Murphy is used. The X spot is obviously Ross Scott’s until he’s done, then you have to think Brady Kurdyla will slide in. That’s his natural position and that kid is a stud. Wouldn’t be totally shocked if he took over moving Ross to the wing. His quickness and speed can cause havoc from there too and then you have 6’3 Kurdyla looking over defenses. He’s a natural QB and was in fact, a QB. Like Mullins, those kids have high lax IQs in addition to being good athletes.

Reactions: Leonard23
Yes as you mentioned the X spot is already spoken for so Murphy will probably move to the wing.

While I love bruising dodgers and step down shooters I also want as much lax IQ on the field as I can get which guys playing from X usually develop.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Watched the entire game Wimmershoff easily outplayed Riccardelli who is going to ND. Murphy looked good - fast good COD. Salisbury shared the ball a lot so Murphy was not the only one to handle. I will say that while Brady Kurdyla would be an excellent X attackman I think he sees the field at midfield first or in some rotation as I think it will be hard to keep Kulas off the field.

Kulas is interesting. I don’t think we really know his skill set yet. I’ve heard he’s more of an inside finisher type but not sure. One thing is clear. The kid is a goal scorer. Will be interesting to see how we use him.

Posted this in the other thread but we have 4 xfers coming in so far. Hopefully a few more.

Kulas is interesting. I don’t think we really know his skill set yet. I’ve heard he’s more of an inside finisher type but not sure. One thing is clear. The kid is a goal scorer. Will be interesting to see how we use him.

Posted this in the other thread but we have 4 xfers coming in so far. Hopefully a few more.

When will the ones besides Neuman get announced?

Not sure. Goalie, two ssdm’s, Neuman, and hopefully a couple more.

Harvard goalie on board:

Grad Transfers: Kyle Mullin, Joe Neuman Heading to Rutgers​

PUBLISHED ON 3 Jun 2022 by Tanner Demling
(Photo Courtesy of Harvard Athletics)
Harvard goalie Kyle Mullin and Yale faceoff man Joe Neuman will both be heading to play for the Rutgers Scarlet Knights as grad transfers in 2023. Both players confirmed their decisions to Lacrosse Bucket on Friday afternoon.

A three-year starter for the Crimson, Mullin was an Ivy League Honorable Mention select this past season while helping lead Harvard to an 8-5 (3-3 Ivy League) record and to their first NCAA Tournament appearance since 2014.

In 2022, Mullin made 153 saves with a 50% save percentage. That included a season-high 18-save performance against Princeton. He ends his career at Harvard with a career total of 389 saves, which puts him 10th all-time in program history.

Mullin is a huge pick up. We have some young talent in the program now and coming into the program but having a proven D1 goalie is needed.

A lot of people are high on Stedfast so we will see how that plays out.

Unless he changed his mind, Daninger is coming back.
I heard very recently that Daninger had in fact changed his mind and is not coming back for another year. Apgar and Civetti are both back. but, with Daninger departure the ssdm group is going to be completely new. Now, they do have athletes but it sounds more and more like the replacements for the kids that have left will be current players or in coming freshmen.

Can't argue with the decision if that's the case. These guys put so much into it.

We are going to miss those rope guys. They were incredible for us, and most importantly, got better every year.

One of the sad things is seeing these guys move on, but really you are just happy to see them evolving in life. One of the cool things is seeing young guys develop and emerge. That's the sign of a healthy program.

In a scrimmage I saw in November I saw some of those young guys pop. I wouldn't have been shocked if they had gotten some time but we had a very tough roster to break into, especially the rope unit.

Fortunately we have some young guys with speed and size and some transfers coming in with experience that will help solidify the unit.

Can't argue with the decision if that's the case. These guys put so much into it.

We are going to miss those rope guys. They were incredible for us, and most importantly, got better every year.

One of the sad things is seeing these guys move on, but really you are just happy to see them evolving in life. One of the cool things is seeing young guys develop and emerge. That's the sign of a healthy program.

In a scrimmage I saw in November I saw some of those young guys pop. I wouldn't have been shocked if they had gotten some time but we had a very tough roster to break into, especially the rope unit.

Fortunately we have some young guys with speed and size and some transfers coming in with experience that will help solidify the unit.
I knew Cole was torn in his decision based on what I had heard.

It’s a tough grind. All we see are game days. These guys put in a lot of time. It takes its toll. If these guys could just play games they’d all do another year but the reality is fall is hard, pre season camp is hard...even during the season it’s hard. If 2 is not coming back, we wish him well and thank him for a job well done

We got some guys that can step up. Will they be 6/26/44/2 right out of the gate...no chance. But give them some run and there will always be that “next group”...I have zero doubt the next wave of great rope guys is gonna emerge here in the fall and in 2023

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT