ADVERTISEMENT

Lost in the Defeat

MadRU

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2001
Another good game from Mag. 12 points on 5 of 7 shooting, 7 rebounds. To go along with solid defense, and 1 turnover. Next step for him is to add some assists to his game. But he appears to be playing it safer now, less over penetrating and more in control, making the easier plays. Nice development.

Paul with 13 assists and a double double.

Hyatt has been talked about in other threads, nice to see his shooting back on track.

Key is to get Cam back on track and Caleb to concentrate on defense and be the extra option on offense not forcing anything.

Another good game from Mag. 12 points on 5 of 7 shooting, 7 rebounds. To go along with solid defense, and 1 turnover. Next step for him is to add some assists to his game. But he appears to be playing it safer now, less over penetrating and more in control, making the easier plays. Nice development.

Hyatt has been talked about in other threads, nice to see his shooting back on track.

Key is to get Cam back on track and Caleb to concentrate on defense and be the extra option on offense not forcing anything.
they started Mag on Murray at the tip and then like 3 posessions in switched Caleb on him went back to Mag for only a couple in the second half not sure why they did that

Good post.
Gotta add the job Dean and Derek did off the bench. I'm sure it increased Pike's confidence in them going forward. With Cam struggling, it wouldn't surprise me if Pike starts giving Derek more of Cam's minutes.

they started Mag on Murray at the tip and then like 3 posessions in switched Caleb on him went back to Mag for only a couple in the second half not sure why they did that

It didn’t matter who defended Murray. He scored most of his points because we were forced to focus on the perimeter. They hit 9 first half 3s in a game they shot only 43% overall.

The light went on for Mag a few games back, really like his development

Dean Reiber played his best game all year. 8 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, and some decent defense in 12 productive minutes.
All true but would have loved to have him make 2 more plays. 1) I know he was hammered but he has to make that dunk that Perkins hammered him on because that and one would have given us the lead. He has to be stronger and finish thru contact. 2 ) He chose not to shoot the 3 as I thought he was open and then dribbled in and did not lob high enough to Cliff when we were down 75-69. He hits the 3 it is 75-72 plus Cliff is underneath for the rebound and if he lobs correctly it is 75-71 and time for us to turn up the heat on defense. 2 plays that were critical. Overall , he looked the best he looked in 5-6 games and that is because Iowa doesn’t have the athleticism of the other teams and he can compete.

Reactions: Scangg and RU_DIO

I noticed that. Wow, that is a ton of assists. I wonder if any player on any team has had such an amazing game this year?

Good post.

Role players had some of their best games of the year and did enough to win. If Cam and Caleb showed up on offense we would have done it but we can’t win without them

Mag’s development has been reminiscent of EO’s. Love what he’s giving us on offense lately, to go with his already stellar D. I know longer hold my breath when he shoots. His confidence and mine have both skyrocketed.

I have to disagree on Reiber, good offense, but bad on defense - bad enough to more than offset the offense
4 fouls in 12 minutes and I thought he was to blame for some easy makes by Iowa
He's not a good or even average Big Ten level player

Reactions: CookyMonster
Mag is a great story and typical Pike move. Kudos.

I wonder if Mag is actually who people thought/wanted McConnell to be. Too early to tell would like another 40 games to evaluate his offensive game.

All true but would have loved to have him make 2 more plays. 1) I know he was hammered but he has to make that dunk that Perkins hammered him on because that and one would have given us the lead. He has to be stronger and finish thru contact. 2 ) He chose not to shoot the 3 as I thought he was open and then dribbled in and did not lob high enough to Cliff when we were down 75-69. He hits the 3 it is 75-72 plus Cliff is underneath for the rebound and if he lobs correctly it is 75-71 and time for us to turn up the heat on defense. 2 plays that were critical. Overall , he looked the best he looked in 5-6 games and that is because Iowa doesn’t have the athleticism of the other teams and he can compete.
Agreed on both. Dean really needed to take that 3 though. It was wide wide open and he was having a good game too so should have had some confidence going. With the time and score he has to take that shot

ADVERTISEMENT