ADVERTISEMENT

Lost in the emotion of giving away a BIG ten home game next year

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
....is that we only have THREE home games and FIVE road games in confrence plus the Yankee Stadium home game

And we play FOUR LEAGUE GAMES IN A ROW away from OUR HOME STADIUM

This is one of the WORST scheduling moves I have ever seen in almost 40 years of being a Rutgers football fan

Thanks Julie....

(and, btw, I was never anti-Julie...but this is REALLY bad for this reason alone)

usatsi_7637324.jpg

Bob, I just negotiated the 2017 home game against Maryland to be played here at Yankee Stadium. Let's keep it quiet, because those whiners on Scarlet Nation will want to run me out of town when they hear about it.

Reactions: jjjenn and Peteyd
Sept 2 WASHINGTON
Sept 9 MORGAN STATE
Sept 16 EASTERN MICHIGAN
Sept 23 at Nebraska
Sept 30 OHIO STATE
Oct 7 ================
Oct 14 at Illinois
Oct 21 PURDUE
Oct 28 at Michigan
Nov 4 Maryland at Yankee Stadium?
Nov 11 at penn state
Nov 18 at Indiana
Nov 25 MICHIGAN STATE

So if the Maryland "home" game is played in the Bronx the team will not play at HPSS
after Oct 21 until Nov 25...five weeks.
Four home games in the five Sept Saturdays.
Weird schedule.

This is a great point. Moving that game really takes away any sort of balance from the schedule. Someone earlier posted some figures about what RU brings in at a typical home game. If I was you guys, anything less than double that total would make me upset about moving a game off of campus.

Seriously....this is a bad move....next year we play FOUR home game in Septemer...and only one in October and one in November

If you are going to do this...you do it when the schedule makes sense...

On the bright side....by then, Rutgers may have a shocking influx of talent, and a deeper understanding of the Ash systems and culture.

Going by on a fast horse this shows to me (without knowing all the details):

1. It's not a round table like we were lead to believe.
2. Somebody(s) is not so great/smart as we thought he was.
3. It will be used against us by more than we think.

Last edited:
Reactions: ruready07
....is that we only have THREE home games and FIVE road games in confrence plus the Yankee Stadium home game

This is one of the WORST scheduling moves I have ever seen in almost 40 years of being a Rutgers football fan

Thanks Julie....

(and, btw, I was never anti-Julie...but this is REALLY bad for this reason alone)
I'm interested in hearing what you know that would indicate that Julie, or any of our ADs, had or would have anything to do with setting the B1G schedule.

I'm interested in hearing what you know that would indicate that Julie, or any of our ADs, had or would have anything to do with setting the B1G schedule.
Pretty sure he's saying she or somebody else in Rutgers Athletics didn't think this thru before saying yes.

Last edited:
Changing a home conference game to Yankee stadium makes no sense on a number of levels. RU is a football first university and our home game scene is the best within a 200 plus mile radius. Who gives a shit that the Yanks and Julie were working on this [which I don't buy] just say "No" or choose another opponent for another year. NYY field for football is awful, the configuration of the field/site lines are awful, paying $15 for a beer is awful, I can go on. This smells like a BIG office directive but just call what it is. RU supporters were robbed of a true home game in the name of something else. RU has to win to avoid this from happening again.

GO RU

Sept 2 WASHINGTON
Sept 9 MORGAN STATE
Sept 16 EASTERN MICHIGAN
Sept 23 at Nebraska
Sept 30 OHIO STATE
Oct 7 ================
Oct 14 at Illinois
Oct 21 PURDUE
Oct 28 at Michigan
Nov 11 at penn state
Nov 18 at Indiana
Nov 25 MICHIGAN STATE

So if the Maryland "home" game is played in the Bronx the team will not play at HPSS
Weird schedule.

...and at least 3 of them will start at noon.

This is probably a money move. When we last had 7 games they used or to raise season ticket prices. We payed for 7th ticker, then next year payed sand as prior year for 6 games. Probably felt adding another $50 to season ticket would cause drop off. If the game doesn't increase ticket sales for 35k seats is a waste.

This is probably a money move. When we last had 7 games they used or to raise season ticket prices. We payed for 7th ticker, then next year payed sand as prior year for 6 games. Probably felt adding another $50 to season ticket would cause drop off. If the game doesn't increase ticket sales for 35k seats is a waste.

Huh?

How could season tix be the same for six games as seven? And if $50 breaks a large portion of the fan base you guys have a steep hill to climb...

Huh?

How could season tix be the same for six games as seven? And if $50 breaks a large portion of the fan base you guys have a steep hill to climb...

In 2015 we had 7 home games. In 2016 weonly have 6 but pay the same price for season tickets. This means or price per game went up 16% (1/6).

look, maybe we just really need money asap in order to fund these improvements on campus.. If that is the case, which I imagine is at least a big part of it, then lets show some more understanding on both sides of this argument. It isn't the end of the world, there just needs to exist an "understood" limitation to how often the department can take games away from campus. I say they do it maximum once a year and only in years when we have 5big ten home games and 4 big ten away games.

Yes, it is important for us to be able to play at yankee stadium and MetLife and Citi field and whatever other huge venue wants to host us in the northeast. If our goal is to claim the northeast, then this is a good move. We have certain built-in advantages that other programs don't, lets use them instead of throw them away. Our proximity to these big sports organizations who want to roll out the red carpet for us is nothing but incredible opportunity if used the right way.

(can't let any other nearby programs make gains here while we sit back and do business as usual)

Reactions: winRU
Man, I remember when you couldn't even say 1 bad word about Hermann on this forum, or users would pounce on you.

Hope you guys learned your lesson. She was a trainwreck from day one. Let's just hope she doesn't have any more stupid decisions waiting to be discovered.

Man, I remember when you couldn't even say 1 bad word about Hermann on this forum, or users would pounce on you.

Hope you guys learned your lesson. She was a trainwreck from day one. Let's just hope she doesn't have any more stupid decisions waiting to be discovered.

You should see some of the responses to the article about how this was due to the previous AD. Its like people think this game is a Star Ledge conspiracy against JH.

Shack,I fully understand and sympathize with all of the fans who
Thanks Julie....

Shack I fully understand the feelings of all of the active Fans who actually go to Rutgers games be they home or away.For me ,since I watch the games on TV,they are all Home Games.MY HOME.

Seriously....this is a bad move....next year we play FOUR home game in Septemer...and only one in October and one in November

Yikes.

So, we get to watch 3 games in the 90 degree heat we tend to get between September 3 and 16th. All of which will no doubt kick off at noon. Ugh.

On the bright side....by then, Rutgers may have a shocking influx of talent, and a deeper understanding of the Ash systems and culture.

On the not so bright side this is the first season of the players learning the Ash system and a 2-10 or 3-9 season is definitely possible ( hopefully not). What a nightmare it would be selling the season tickets next year with the forced requirement to buy a shi#show Yankee Stadium game at obscene prices.

Last edited:

Exactly, I'm still trying to figure out how in the world an AD could come to an agreement like this in a year when we only have a 4 home game B1G schedule. I mean she was being paid for this job right. If you and I can see how the home schedule doesn't quite work, then what the hell was she doing. This was one of her most important jobs, improving fan experience, because we're the paying customers. This schedule from a fan and player perspective of home/away is going to suck in 2017. This definitely wasn't the year to pull this money grab.

Shack I fully understand the feelings of all of the active Fans who actually go to Rutgers games be they home or away.For me ,since I watch the games on TV,they are all Home Games.MY HOME.

I am starting to think that's the way I might go next year.
Road trips to Washington and Minnesota this year and all games at HPSS . Next year at home with the TV.

This may have been talked about before the B1G decided to go to 9 conference games...

You are correct to be concerned about his right,
but don't forget his left?
Oh, never mind. You meant "you're right"

Hope you guys learned your lesson
. She was a trainwreck from day one. Let's just hope she doesn't have any more stupid decisions waiting to be discovered.
don't ever change.

Amazing how nobody knew four days ago when throwing first pitch!

Really leaves a sour taste.

look, maybe we just really need money asap in order to fund these improvements on campus.. If that is the case, which I imagine is at least a big part of it, then lets show some more understanding on both sides of this argument. It isn't the end of the world, there just needs to exist an "understood" limitation to how often the department can take games away from campus. I say they do it maximum once a year and only in years when we have 5big ten home games and 4 big ten away games.

Yes, it is important for us to be able to play at yankee stadium and MetLife and Citi field and whatever other huge venue wants to host us in the northeast. If our goal is to claim the northeast, then this is a good move. We have certain built-in advantages that other programs don't, lets use them instead of throw them away. Our proximity to these big sports organizations who want to roll out the red carpet for us is nothing but incredible opportunity if used the right way.

(can't let any other nearby programs make gains here while we sit back and do business as usual)

Uconn, Cuse or Army are not going to make gains on us if they play at Yankee stadium.

This is what happens when the old hack of an AD can't fundraise diddley squat and decides the only way she can make our program revenue is by selling our home games. Damn Julie was such a failure..

I almost hate her as much as Flood. It's really close.

Sept 2 WASHINGTON
Sept 9 MORGAN STATE
Sept 16 EASTERN MICHIGAN
Sept 23 at Nebraska
Sept 30 OHIO STATE
Oct 7 ================
Oct 14 at Illinois
Oct 21 PURDUE
Oct 28 at Michigan
Nov 11 at penn state
Nov 18 at Indiana
Nov 25 MICHIGAN STATE

Weird schedule.
Penn State game is at Rutgers, not an away game.

Awful scheduling. I enjoy the Maryland/Ru series but it is too far from Easton Pa. to Yankee stadium for a retiree from outside Easton Pa.

Awful scheduling. I enjoy the Maryland/Ru series but it is too far from Easton Pa. to Yankee stadium for a retiree from outside Easton Pa.

of course, but rutgers fans have one of the shortest commutes to their stadium in all of college football. Most of our fans all live within 3 hours of the campus - thats not the case in other large states. We're a bit spoiled.

Treat the game like a mini bowl game and lets have a good time with it. Rent a hotel room the night before and enjoy the city.

Reactions: RU at the shore
This is what happens when the old hack of an AD can't fundraise diddley squat and decides the only way she can make our program revenue is by selling our home games. Damn Julie was such a failure..

I almost hate her as much as Flood. It's really close.
I'm no Julie fan, but Flood certainly did much more damage. Although they definitely were a pair of train wrecks. Some have mentioned Julie actually did a few things that benefited some of the Olympic sports. The few things Flood managed to do that appeared positive were actually negative, as it kept him in place as HC, which ofc perpetuated more destruction.

Flood is the gift that keeps on giving....
I have no love for Flood (see above) but I don't think we can blame this on him.

I'm no Julie fan, but Flood certainly did much more damage. Although they definitely were a pair of train wrecks. Some have mentioned Julie actually did a few things that benefited some of the Olympic sports. The few things Flood managed to do that appeared positive were actually negative, as it kept him in place as HC, which ofc perpetuated more destruction.

I have no love for Flood (see above) but I don't think we can blame this on him.

IF Flood was the one who originally had this idea and pushed for a YS conference home game to take place, a la Greg Schiano and Greg Mulcahey with the stadium expansion, then I most certainly can and would blame him, in addition to his actions and decisions that have already set the RU football program back in many ways..

Reactions: NotInRHouse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT