Rutgers
10417597_668748599924396_711188531259378025_n.jpg

21910_668748613257728_343306393199681890_n.jpg

10460313_668748606591062_6761320926509730802_n.jpg

11219110_668748603257729_6990213816732739170_n.jpg

11072061_668748609924395_3695754597945428658_n.jpg

Was just walking by yesterday.

Waaaaaay too big. Geez.

It's not quite as bad as you might think. Although the side sections are larger than one might want, they're not freakishly huge and they're perpendicular to the street, limiting the size issue compared to Voorhees Mall. The largest portion of the building is set far enough back from College Ave that although large, it doesn't necessarily feel towering.

The worst, I think, will be for the people behind the building. Though the street's pretty wide, so that may help.

Time shall reveal.

Reactions: RUseaweed
Union Street is such a frickin mess. There is only one fraternity, Phi Delta Theta, left on what was once the historic frat row. So sad.

Guess the last phase will be to put the barbed wire on top of the fence to keep the prisoners from escaping. Seriously looks like a prison to me. Hopefully the final product will look better.

Reactions: mal359
What bunch of critics we have here. Why not wait for it to be completed and actually walk around it before passing judgment?

Union Street is such a frickin mess. There is only one fraternity, Phi Delta Theta, left on what was once the historic frat row. So sad.
I'm pretty sure there is more than one frat left on Union St. The Gamma Sigma house on 19 Union St. comes to mind.

I'm pretty sure there is more than one frat left on Union St. The Gamma Sigma house on 19 Union St. comes to mind.

Pretty sure that house had a fire and is just boarded up now...?

The poster is right there are 5 -7 houses left in union street. The rest were bulldozed and turned into apartments.

Gamma Sigma isn't exactly what you'd call a traditional fraternity. All the other buildings are either sororities, apartment buildings or Rutgers department buildings. Phi Delt is the only fraternity on "Frat Row". It's pretty depressing. Why didn't they build new fraternity houses instead of those god awful apartments buildings?

Gamma Sigma isn't exactly what you'd call a traditional fraternity. All the other buildings are either sororities, apartment buildings or Rutgers department buildings. Phi Delt is the only fraternity on "Frat Row". It's pretty depressing. Why didn't they build new fraternity houses instead of those god awful apartments buildings?

$ and liability.

What about that brand new fraternity building that was built behind the College Ave gym? Why wasn't that built on Union Street?

I saw that building at Rutgers Day and wonder about the details. I don't know if it's owned by the Greek organization or just leased. My guess as to why it wasn't built there is because whoever built it didn't have property on Union.

I sound like a broken record but I believe that the future for Fraternities and Sororities needs to be a Greek Village built in cooperation with the University. Personally I think the parking lots and other areas around the student center between Bartlett and Senior is a great spot to put it.

I think a development of 4 story brownstone or townhouse style buildings with about 20-25 beds each would be great. I would think big with trying to using some of the space freed up by the eventual tear down of the College Ave student center and also the buildings on Bartlett. You could have it centered around a green space and really create a great campus neighborhood.

This is a dream concept. I admittedly don't know the financials/feasibility of it at all. But like a dorm this can be built with housing revenue supporting the financing. I think a Greek Village would go a long way to improve the system, stabilize housing, and make the Greek system a much bigger asset to the university.

typical headline for that site. "controversial developer" in the title but no actual controversy mentioned for this project. This sounds like a decent model for future houses

So this is the company that built those god awful apartment buildings on Union Street? And then they build an actual fraternity building on Sicard? Why? The fraternity situation is such an unorganized mess. Either Rutgers or the city of New Brunswick has to develop some sort of central planning for the fraternity houses.

Scarlet Pride, I think your idea is great. Why exactly can't Rutgers do something like this?

Board%20Meeting%20Slides_Page_15_zpsqnvvwfsc.jpg
Board%20Meeting%20Slides_Page_13_zpsbuhfobm7.jpg

i too was talking by the other day. Here are a few more pictures of the red panels going up.

It is really quite terrible looking.

Shame that the Devco brain trust went with a mix of slum, strip mall, and TV.

Reactions: derleider
It is really quite terrible looking.

Shame that the Devco brain trust went with a mix of slum, strip mall, and TV.
It will be spectacular but I will make sure not to invite you to the grand opening
It will become the iconic gathering space on teh Rutgers Campus. On a campus that lacks public space and sense of space this project will fill that void. Count on it

It will be spectacular but I will make sure not to invite you to the grand opening
It will become the iconic gathering space on teh Rutgers Campus. On a campus that lacks public space and sense of space this project will fill that void. Count on it

Is that Scarlet Knight statue going there???

Have slums been upgraded since the 70s?

It will be a gathering space, but so is the mall food court.

Reactions: mal359
Yes, it will be a gathering space. Brower, the River Dorms, and Scott Hall are also gathering spaces. A crack house is also a gathering space, depending on your outlook.

still waiting for the final product, but from the photos looks too large for the site to me...

Some posters here are ridiculous. I appreciate that @Cofifa takes the time to come on this board and provide us with any updates on the various projects going on in New Bruns/RU.

Reactions: FastMJ
Some posters here are ridiculous. I appreciate that @Cofifa takes the time to come on this board and provide us with any updates on the various projects going on in New Bruns/RU.
+1

And has even asked us for our input/opinions.

Will also like to add a +1 to Scarlet Pride's idea of the Greek Village idea for housing on CAC.

I think his is a much better idea than the one talked about for Livingston waaaay back when.

Agreed I've voiced my concerns on the scale and some design elements but continue to hope they are wrong. It's great that cofifa share like he does and engages in the discussions. And you can disagree and not bash. There's no doubt a lot of time and energy went into designing this project and even more going on right now to get it done.

And the honors building is looking beautiful!

I just drove past here & while I too voiced concerns about the height & prefer the design of the honors college, I think this will be fine & not look bad. Time to demo more houses on & around campus.

+1

And has even asked us for our input/opinions.

Will also like to add a +1 to Scarlet Pride's idea of the Greek Village idea for housing on CAC.

I think his is a much better idea than the one talked about for Livingston waaaay back when.
Why wouldnt we think about a greek village on the lots behind the barn?

Reactions: Scarlet Pride
Signed a lease today for the owner of RU Hungry , he will be opening his first non truck food venue...gave him exclusive on FAT SANDWHICHES....
Interesting. Didn't he have a storefront on Easton Ave towards Knight Club in the late 90s? Did that close? Do you have a list if the other tenants?

ADVERTISEMENT