ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of Cam Hate on Knightline

Give me a break. Best pure shooter Rutgers has had in at least 15 years. Eviscerating the guy because of a bad game tonight. Once Paul is back, he will average just under 20 a night.
Hopefully, you’re right . People are gonna doubt him being a legit player at this level after tonight . He’s gonna need to respond.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
People suck

Btw I don’t know about 20 lol.

But with Paul back hopefully cam gets used on offense as he should - a shooter -that they set plays designed to get him open looks

No reason IMHO that he can’t be a consistent 12-15 point guy in the big ten if they use him right

Give me a break. Best pure shooter Rutgers has had in at least 15 years. Eviscerating the guy because of a bad game tonight. Once Paul is back, he will average just under 20 a night.
Cam was not the problem. He is the only one looking to find a shooter in rhythm. The issue is once again we settled for mid range jumpers rather than getting out in transition and attacking the rim and drawing fouls.

As annoyed as I am with this loss, Cam is not the only culprit. Ha had an off night shooting. But Mag and Hyatt are more at fault for missing 6 layups. And I fault Pike for his substitutions up 11.

Spencer disappeared tonight and played poor defense most of the game. We got double figures from enough players, he was flat on every shot and played with no energy.

Very much of a red flag if you can't knock down shots against Miami, the defense and competition only goes up from here.

Not listening but Cam was terrible today. It happens. If Ron or Geo went 1-10 they would’ve been killed too.

Reactions: Rokodesh

Nobody deserves to be eviscerated for one bad game. But you can’t blame once-burned RU fans for fearing that Cam is another Peter Kiss, who only dominated against inferior competition. Hopefully, that is not the case, but he did look very hesitant tonight against an athletic Miami team.

Cam had a bad night. I am sure he feels terrible. The entire team played very poorly in about the last 8 minutes. We led by 10 or 11 when Steve took out Cliff, I believe and McConnell and one other starter. Immediately Miami scored 7 or 8 points in a minute and a half. There were very few fouls called in the game we were only 4-4 on the line. Miami didn't take many either. We had too many careless turnover. I look forward to when Paul can return.

He was short on every shot pretty much. Nerves. It’s a step up in competition he looked rattled.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Cam spent too much energy handling the ball and trying to play defense against really fast Miami guards tonight. He was gassed by the end of it. Hence why Pike took him out for a breather with about 1:40 to go. He had a WIDE open three and had absolutely no lift on his shot. Also got played on that isolation three against him.

He needs to be the catch and shoot guy. Or at max 3-4 dribble shoot guy. Not the point guard. But with Paul out, he was doing a lot of facilitating early. Also why Caleb started handling a lot of the ball too.

Once we’re at full strength, we’ll be alright.

Cam spent too much energy handling the ball and trying to play defense against really fast Miami guards tonight. He was gassed by the end of it. Hence why Pike took him out for a breather with about 1:40 to go. He had a WIDE open three and had absolutely no lift on his shot. Also got played on that isolation three against him.

He needs to be the catch and shoot guy. Or at max 3-4 dribble shoot guy. Not the point guard. But with Paul out, he was doing a lot of facilitating early. Also why Caleb started handling a lot of the ball too.

Absolutely 100% correct. I think he played almost whole first half too

It was evident tonight that an athletic guard can take Cam out of the game, and for what its worth we have already seen that athletic guards can take Paul out of the game.

Cam was not the problem. He is the only one looking to find a shooter in rhythm. The issue is once again we settled for mid range jumpers rather than getting out in transition and attacking the rim and drawing fouls.
Again, Cam WAS a problem tonight. When your top scorer and best shooter scores 3 points it’s a problem. The offense wasn’t able to get out in transition because Miami backed of going for offensive rebounds and decided to get back and defend instead.
Back to Cam, do I think he’ll be this bad for the rest of the season? No, probably not but I also can be concerned because in the two games against legit competition Cam didn’t play well.

Cam needs to adjust to the level of competition and the attention he will draw. He will figure it out.
the question is, IS Cam going to hit those outside shots versus tough competition, and can he also do it
on the road.

He sure looked good at home versus the patsies

It was evident tonight that an athletic guard can take Cam out of the game, and for what its worth we have already seen that athletic guards can take Paul out of the game.
Yes , they made it difficult for him to get past them but we did a bad job as we never ran a 2 man game. But that had absolutely nothing to do with the wide open threes he missed , 1-10. He just missed short all night.

Cam is our outside shooter this year. I think RU did a good job getting him to come here. He also comes up with a lot of steals. When all is said and done, he will win us many tough games. Mark this post Groypers!

The cam comments are just really maddening. Kid had a bad night.

But most importantly- he is being asked to do too much - cam is not a f$&king point guard!!!!! So yes - you make him handle the ball against athletic teams he might not shine. How is this a f$&kibg surprise to anyone?!? How?!!

You are spot on. He is a catch-and shoot. Or fake-quick dribble- stop/pop kinda guy

I have no doubt if ru can get him in that spot that he will shine on a consistent basis

He’s a shooting guard being asked to play the point guard and guard the PG on defenses, and also played the whole game pretty much. Too much to ask. Need Paul back. Need Simpson to keep growing ..
Spot on.

Behind Paul coming back obviously, the best thing that could happen for cam, is for Simpson to keep growing/ for him to be a legit threat as well.

He’s a shooting guard being asked to play the point guard and guard the PG on defenses, and also played the whole game pretty much. Too much to ask. Need Paul back. Need Simpson to keep growing ..

but Paul isnt back and he might not be back for a few games.....Cam brought into replace scoring from Geo/Ron where else will it come from

Again with this.

RHJ averaged under 16pts last year.
2 players in the entire Big Ten averaged over 20ppg.

Cam is going to be a Top 5 scorer in the Big Ten?
MYbe that's part of the "hate"?
They are hearing other people keep saying he's going to be a top scorer based on games most people couldn't watch against terrible opponents.

Simpson is not a PG. He doesnt have the quickness to blow by defenders and get to the rim off the dribble. Quickness is not something you develop, you either have it or you dont.

This is the 2nd game I watched where he played relatively athletic competition; Temple and now Miami and he struggled to the point I don't think he should be a starter against a P5 team. He might be able to shoot but he isn't as athletic as the opposition. I hope he figures it out fast. He laid an egg tonight and I'm sick of losing these meaningful games away from home. Not his fault but it stood out big time again.

Maybe he just needs to get adjusted to the speed of high d1 games. Hoping it’s just an adjustment phase. Temple and Miami were too fast for him right now

ADVERTISEMENT