ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of Cam Hate on Knightline

We need Cam to do more than he is capable of doing. He is a 4th offensive option on a good team.

I was more pissed that he turned it over due to a defender coming up from behind him in the 1st half. He makes very few errors.

The Caleb and Hyatt turnovers are more maddening than the missed shots by everyone.

Spencer disappeared tonight and played poor defense most of the game. We got double figures from enough players, he was flat on every shot and played with no energy.

Very much of a red flag if you can't knock down shots against Miami, the defense and competition only goes up from here.
Agree. That last dagger by Pack was just one example. He was only taking 3's and didn't show he was a threat to drive, but Cam backed up like he was Pearl Washington and gave him a wide open look. How about contesting shooters in a big spot?

Reactions: BillyC80
Maybe Cam will find his way like a lot of people are saying, but I just don't think it's that simple. For anybody who has played on pretty much any level - when you are playing against people who you have time to get your shot off on and have a step on - the game is easy. When you have somebody more athletic on you and they are matching you step for step, and you can't create or the close out on your shot is that much quicker - it's just a different game. You are more exhausted, frustrated and less confident even when you get an open shot. This is really not something you figure out - basketball is a game about athleticism - especially at the guard position. If you don't have it or can't 'figure it out' you will get exposed. And Cam looked exposed against Temple and Miami.

Maybe Cam will find his way like a lot of people are saying, but I just don't think it's that simple. For anybody who has played on pretty much any level - when you are playing against people who you have time to get your shot off on and have a step on - the game is easy. When you have somebody more athletic on you and they are matching you step for step, and you can't create or the close out on your shot is that much quicker - it's just a different game. You are more exhausted, frustrated and less confident even when you get an open shot. This is really not something you figure out - basketball is a game about athleticism - especially at the guard position. If you don't have it or can't 'figure it out' you will get exposed. And Cam looked exposed against Temple and Miami.
He got “exposed” because he is being asked to play in a way that he isn’t suited for - playing more minutes, and handling the ball way more than he should.

Revisit this post when Paul comes back and cam can play (primary a catch and shoot guy) in a way that suits his game at this level

You’re saying Simpson isn’t quick ?!

Wow. That’s all people talk about with him - how ridiculously quick he is

I gotta get off this board. The level of stupidity has hit 11
Then explain to me why doesnt he penetrate off the dribble to the rim even against the cupcakes.

Last edited:
He got “exposed” because he is being asked to play in a way that he isn’t suited for - playing more minutes, and handling the ball way more than he should.

Revisit this post when Paul comes back and cam can play (primary a catch and shoot guy) in a way that suits his game at this level
I'm not sure I agree - Paul is not the end all be all. Will him coming back help? Yes. Will he part the red seas and spread out this offense where there will be open people everywhere? I'm not so sure about that.

At the end of the day in the 2 games that Cam has played against Temple and Miami he has shown that he will struggle to create his own shot and is just generally slow. I don't think Paul coming back is going to release the Cam Spencer we've seen against the cupcakes. I think Cam is probably more likely a role player who can get you some points, but not a game changer by any stretch.

I am convinced the answer to this question is Simpson. But the issue is how much pain do you want to go through playing him more minutes than he should be getting right now just to get him to be a very productive player. I think at some point very soon we may not have much of a choice and have to ride him. Make no mistake with the roster we have now - a polished Simpson is really what this team needs! The issue again is how long does it take him to get there?

I'm not sure I agree - Paul is not the end all be all. Will him coming back help? Yes. Will he part the red seas and spread out this offense where there will be open people everywhere? I'm not so sure about that.

At the end of the day in the 2 games that Cam has played against Temple and Miami he has shown that he will struggle to create his own shot and is just generally slow. I don't think Paul coming back is going to release the Cam Spencer we've seen against the cupcakes. I think Cam is probably more likely a role player who can get you some points, but not a game changer by any stretch.
He doesn’t fix everything but he averaged over 5 assists a game last year. A lot harder to double on Cliff when Paul is getting him the ball moving towards the basket instead of trying to feed it to him with his back to the basket.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
He doesn’t fix everything but he averaged over 5 assists a game last year. A lot harder to double on Cliff when Paul is getting him the ball moving towards the basket instead of trying to feed it to him with his back to the basket.
Averaged 5 assists with Ron and Geo - BIG difference last year to this year. A lot more going to be asked of Paul with a lot less offensive options. Almost comparing apples and oranges offensively between these two years.

Averaged 5 assists with Ron and Geo - BIG difference last year to this year. A lot more going to be asked of Paul with a lot less offensive options. Almost comparing apples and oranges offensively between these two years.
I mean it’s not apples to oranges. Cliff was the primary beneficiary of those assists. Ron and Geo were shot creators

Then explain to me why doesnt he penetrate off the dribble to the rim even against the cupcakes.
First of all I don’t even know if your premise is true but even if it is QUICKNESS is not the issue. That is literally the very first word people use to describe him LOL.

Reactions: ancienthooper

I am convinced the answer to this question is Simpson. But the issue is how much pain do you want to go through playing him more minutes than he should be getting right now just to get him to be a very productive player. I think at some point very soon we may not have much of a choice and have to ride him. Make no mistake with the roster we have now - a polished Simpson is really what this team needs! The issue again is how long does it take him to get there?

I actually agree with you on basically every point

I totally agree cam is not a game changer and should be at best a 3rd option catch-and—shoot guy. The problem is that he is being asked to do too much. Put him where he belongs in a P5 offense and he will contribute just fine !

In other posts I made the same comments - that Simpson improving is key (and will go along way towards helping cams game as it ease pressure).

The OnLY thing thing I disagree on is Paul’s contribution- no he will not “part the seas and have people open everywhere” (I never said that) but his absence was really obvious tonight. We desperately needed someone to control the offense, set up plays, etc. if Paul was in cliff likely wouldn’t have disappeared, cam/Hyatt likely wouldn’t have been fumbling the ball around and cam/ Caleb would have been playing off the ball as they should.

Cam had a terrible night but I don’t know what to tell anyone if they can’t see he’s clearly one of our best players. Even when he’s not hitting, his outside threat opens things up. Now taking advance of that with this offense and our propensity for missing chippies is another story.

I don't disagree that it’s a game of athleticism but he got some really good looks against Miami. He also took some tough ones but that’s expected now that the competition has bumped up. I don’t think he got exposed at all. Just a bad shooting night.

Cam would not be the starting guard on Rutgers if he wasn’t producing in practice against other big ten athletes. He’s gonna be fine especially when he’s not asked to run the pg along with everything else.

The kid is also the most competitive dude I’ve ever seen. While we are all on here trying to overanalyze one bad game, he’s probably already watched the film and got shots up. He’s the definition of having a pro approach to the game.

Give me a break. Best pure shooter Rutgers has had in at least 15 years. Eviscerating the guy because of a bad game tonight. Once Paul is back, he will average just under 20 a night.
Cam reminds me of Bobby Lloyd.

He was off tonight, but the other day he had 15- or 18 at half and finished with 18. Sometimes you can be too unselfish....and it might be nice to have a 20+ or 30+ performance along with the W.

Tonight wasn't that nite,

Maybe next time.

MO

Reactions: mugrat86
I was in and out of watching the RU game and the parts I did see I thought Cam was getting some really decent open looks.

Sloppy turnovers and missed layups lost this game. RU squandered an 11 point lead.

Cam should be playing off the ball and we should be setting picks for him to get him open. He isn't quick enough to create space on his three point shot. Plus, he looked like he played too many minutes to me.

We didn’t bring Spencer to play point guard. He will be fine, assuming Paul comes back and Simpson continues to grow throughout the year.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
I can guarantee you that by years end, Cam will be someone the board is gushing over and praying he comes back next year

Reactions: RedTeam1994
i cringe as I type this, but Cam needs to hunt his shot more vs better competition. Can’t passively wait for his opportunities. I’d prefer that to Hyatt turning the ball over 5 times. Cam needs a bit more alpha in his game.

ADVERTISEMENT