ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of idiots on here

People dogging Mathis for a bad first half in the game thread. You need to be called out you're morons.

I'm sorry is it your contention that he played well? I call it like I see it. I'm certainly not drawing conclusions but he and McConnell looked shaky. S A very small blemish on a terrific game overall.

I'm sorry is it your contention that he played well? I call it like I see it. I'm certainly not drawing conclusions but he and McConnell looked shaky. S A very small blemish on a terrific game overall.

My contention is it takes more than one half of ball as a FR to look good.

He didn’t have a great game, but he took the 2nd most shots (11) and most FTs (7) on the team, which is telling for a frosh not having a great game. Expecting much better days ahead.

I personally think it’s a good thing he had a rough game. He’s a highly touted freshman who played big time AAU ball. Got some humble pie and he’ll work even harder now. The raw talent is there. He still was a contributor.

The most telling thing about him is that pikiell kept him in. Tells you all you need to know.

I agree. Kids are true freshman. Im sure a lot of nerves. Scored 10 and showed flashes with a few missed FTs. He will be more than fine. As will Caleb.

Cool your jets people. U can be critical and not disrespectful.

Reactions: satnom and BillyC80
I personally think it’s a good thing he had a rough game. He’s a highly touted freshman who played big time AAU ball. Got some humble pie and he’ll work even harder now. The raw talent is there. He still was a contributor.

The most telling thing about him is that pikiell kept him in. Tells you all you need to know.
Love the move by Pike to keep him in. We had a more than comfortable lead. Learn on the job. Love Pike. As the half time hit he walked him off and talked to him. He will be a stud.

He looked very nervous and it was pretty obvious and to be expected to some degree. His first three foul shot misses were way off which is a total sign of nerves. Foul shots are the worst when your nervous because all eyes are on you and their is no rhythm to help get you Get into the shot. You can’t pass the ball to a teammate either. I think he was rattled. Just needs confidence. Baker looked bad early last year too. He’ll be fine.

Love the move by Pike to keep him in. We had a more than comfortable lead. Learn on the job. Love Pike. As the half time hit he walked him off and talked to him. He will be a stud.

Yes! Noticed that too. Also after one of his turnovers geo put his arm around him and was coaching him up. Kid is 18 playing in his first ever college game. There are going to be growing pains but the talent is there.

People dogging Mathis for a bad first half in the game thread. You need to be called out you're morons.
Didnt post during the game but it was definitely warranted, especially in the first half. Mathis was putting his head down and was getting way too down on himself. He wasnt hustling, making bad passes, air balls, free throws looked horrendous. He had just about the worst game you couldve possibly had for a first game. Hes raw, this will be a big growth year for him but I trust pike to get on his ass

Breaking Montez' line down by half:
1st half: 3 pts, 1-5 FG (20%), 0-2 FT, 3 reb, 1 ast, 2 to, 1 pf
2nd half: 7 pts, 2-6 FG (33%), 3-5 FT (60%), 2 reb, 1 ast, 1 stl, 2 to, 0 pf

Slow start to his first game, but started to show more in the second half. Definitely gave coaches some tape to review with him - looking forward to seeing him grow as the year progresses.

Montez will settle down . Not everyone is calm , cool abs collective in their first first games . I think he was trying to make something happen in every play ., think about how bad he played and he still got ten points which to me says he’s a natural scorer

Dahntay Jones was the biggest deer in the headlights I’ve ever seen in his first game. The guy went on to play like 15yrs in the NBA.

Playing in your first college game isn’t easy for most players regardless of how talented they are. It’s a big adjustment from anything they’ve experienced.

Last edited:
Let me get this straight, Mathis went for 10, 5 and 2 in his first collegiate game as a freshman, and he had a bad night?

If that’s bad then we should all be very encouraged by what the future holds for that young man.

It's not like olden days where freshman were unprepared for college basketball and played mostly HS games 20-30 years ago. These kids are playing year round over 50 games a year between AAU and HS schedule. HS players travel miles to go to better schools, private schools or even other states to get better exposure. They are way more prepared than ever before.

I liked seeing Mathis and Kiss on floor together. Finally have some wings. Harper very encouraged about

It's not like olden days where freshman were unprepared for college basketball and played mostly HS games 20-30 years ago. These kids are playing year round over 50 games a year between AAU and HS schedule. HS players travel miles to go to better schools, private schools or even other states to get better exposure. They are way more prepared than ever before.

Game threads are always filled with overreactions to a few bad plays by a player or players. Everyone loves to post stuff like Souf Mathis after a errant pass and then ignore his corner 3 pointer that helped ignite a run,.....then his his alley oop dunk, alley oop pass to Harper later in the game.

Let me get this straight, Mathis went for 10, 5 and 2 in his first collegiate game as a freshman, and he had a bad night?

If that’s bad then we should all be very encouraged by what the future holds for that young man.
The stat line is deceiving and he made a lot of negative plays. Pike had the luxury to keep him in, but in a closer game he would have been pulled. Not trying to bash the kid or writing him off, but facts are facts. The best way to describe his play was he looked like Mike Williams only more out of control. Plenty of positives from the game to concentrate on and hope that Mathis finds his role and embraces it.

Reactions: zebnatto
Didnt post during the game but it was definitely warranted, especially in the first half. Mathis was putting his head down and was getting way too down on himself. He wasnt hustling, making bad passes, air balls, free throws looked horrendous. He had just about the worst game you couldve possibly had for a first game. Hes raw, this will be a big growth year for him but I trust pike to get on his ass
Not the worst first game you could possibly have by any stretch, but you would not have thought he was offered by Kansas. Any of his shortcomings were more than made up for by the stellar play, and bright futures, of Kiss, Johnson and especially Harper. They were all much better than advertised. Caleb, on the other hand, might have had that worst game, but you can't really be too negative on any freshman playing his first game. That said, he's not a Power 5 PG and I have doubts whether he will ever be one, and he's facing incoming competition next year from Mulcahy and the transfer from Texas, both of whom are already better.

I am amazed at how some people are giving critical appraisals after one game. Some freshman are ready right away, some need some time to adjust to the speed, athleticism and pressure of playing big time college basketball.

To make a determination from a sample size of 9 minutes in his first college game (McConnell) is ludicrous.

McConnell may not be the future PG going forward and may be more suited for the 2 or 3 but can we give the kid a break.

I am amazed at how some people are giving critical appraisals after one game. Some freshman are ready right away, some need some time to adjust to the speed, athleticism and pressure of playing big time college basketball.

To make a determination from a sample size of 9 minutes in his first college game (McConnell) is ludicrous.

McConnell may not be the future PG going forward and may be more suited for the 2 or 3 but can we give the kid a break.

NOBODY IS MAKING A DETERMINATION. We're just remarking on what happened.

Reactions: RutHut
Game threads are always filled with overreactions to a few bad plays by a player or players. Everyone loves to post stuff like Souf Mathis after a errant pass and then ignore his corner 3 pointer that helped ignite a run,.....then his his alley oop dunk, alley oop pass to Harper later in the game.
The Souf Mathis comparison was uncalled for. Souf was a transfer. Mathis is a true freshman playing in his first game. Not a fair comparison. Mathis just needs to settle down.

They were so so dumb. Anyone gonna own up to it? Prob not as usual

Snagg....

I was one of the people who said it was a possibility under these exact conditions (all of them)

1.) if harper really struggled to be able play on the perimeter on defense

2.) thiam and onamuryi both made a really major step up, thiam a 12-6 guy at the small forward and onamyuri 12-8 that wash warranted 28 minutes a game.

3.) Mathis and kiss easily looked like they could man the remaining 52 minutes a game at the two and three spot

4.) geo stayed healthy

If allof those conditions happened, there would have been a receipt that Harper might have only had a chance to play 5-8 minutes a game ....and a redshirt would have been an option to prepare him for the full time

Obviously ....the big one is number one....and he can play on the defensive end

But that would be the scanairo thar we could have afforded a redshirt

Glad it’s not necessary

The Souf Mathis comparison was uncalled for. Souf was a transfer. Mathis is a true freshman playing in his first game. Not a fair comparison. Mathis just needs to settle down.

It was a joke.

Saying someone is not a Power 5 PG after 9 minutes of game 1 is A DETERMINATION. See I can use all caps too

Who said that?

Not the worst first game you could possibly have by any stretch, but you would not have thought he was offered by Kansas. Any of his shortcomings were more than made up for by the stellar play, and bright futures, of Kiss, Johnson and especially Harper. They were all much better than advertised. Caleb, on the other hand, might have had that worst game, but you can't really be too negative on any freshman playing his first game. That said, he's not a Power 5 PG and I have doubts whether he will ever be one, and he's facing incoming competition next year from Mulcahy and the transfer from Texas, both of whom are already better.

ADVERTISEMENT