ADVERTISEMENT

Lucky To Be In B1G

scarletschuyler

Junior
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2007
Whether we will ever reach success in the B1G or not, I can provide a short example of why we are in a classy and distinguished conference.

My brother-in-law is a high level administrator for the Univ. of Cincinnati. After UC was formally asked by the Big 12 to prepare a proposal for acceptance, UC subsequently received a personal plea to PLEASE apply for acceptance, as did Houston. After many long hours and expenses to prepare its proposal and several trips to make its presentation, UC and the other applicants got the "Dear John" phone call that the proposals were being returned since there will be no expansion. Keep in mind that the applicants, including UC, made their presentations to all the combined conference ADs. My brother-in-law was livid, but comforted himself with the realization that at least in the AAC relations and politics and decision-making are done in a civil manner.

I'm just taking a wild guess that the B1G ADs don't operate in such a slimy manner.

Reactions: cicero grimes
@scarletschuyler you are kidding yourself if you don't thin the B1G AD's do the same. They only care about their schools and the conference. You didn't see them rush to give us full share..

How about the first time when we thought we were in and Nebraska came along. I'm not saying the Big 12 didn't blow it but it all came down to money.

Reactions: rufancoe00
@scarletschuyler you are kidding yourself if you don't thin the B1G AD's do the same. They only care about their schools and the conference. You didn't see them rush to give us full share..

Why should we have gotten a full share right away? Membership in the Big Ten is an asset that has a significant return and we need to buy our share which is being done buy getting a lesser share of that revenue. The alternative would have been to write a check of say $50 million that the other schools would have whacked up. Then we could have gotten a full share from day 1.

Why should we have gotten a full share right away? Membership in the Big Ten is an asset that has a significant return and we need to buy our share which is being done buy getting a lesser share of that revenue. The alternative would have been to write a check of say $50 million that the other schools would have whacked up. Then we could have gotten a full share from day 1.
Where did I say we should have? It was response to the OP about B1G AD's.

Are we officially in the B10 forever or as an associate probationary member for the 1st 6 years? Do we have full B10 voting ability at conference meetings? Just asking since we are probably the weakest athletic member in the conference right now.

Our only above avg sports seem to be Wrestling, ladies soccer, and ladies hoops.

How about the first time when we thought we were in and Nebraska came along. I'm not saying the Big 12 didn't blow it but it all came down to money.

I don't think it was just money. The Nebraska opportunity came out of nowhere and there was just a relatively brief period during which it could be considered without Nebraska having to renew its commitment to the B12. That might have around the same time as they were negotiating their new TV contracts and/or GOR. My understanding was that the B1G either had to take Nebraska when it did or the opportunity would evaporate. Where RU was concerned, there was no such deadline.

I don't think it was just money. The Nebraska opportunity came out of nowhere and there was just a relatively brief period during which it could be considered without Nebraska having to renew its commitment to the B12. That might have around the same time as they were negotiating their new TV contracts and/or GOR. My understanding was that the B1G either had to take Nebraska when it did or the opportunity would evaporate. Where RU was concerned, there was no such deadline.
Again, you are missing the bigger point where OP things B1G AD's are all buddy buddy.

I believe his term was "classy." And that they avoided being "slimy." Being professional is not the same as being buddy buddy.
That's right. Sit it was classy leaving us at the alter. It's not slimy increasing our share even though it's been documented our presence made conference a lot of money. Again, it's all business. If expansion would have helped big12 financially they would have. Case closed

(Sigh) Obviously the B1G ADs as a group aren't perfect, and probably fight and scratch behind closed doors more than we will ever know. However, their conduct relating to Rutgers and Maryland seems far more transparent than that of the Big12 toward Houston, Cinn, and others.

The BIG is the only conference that has revenue sharing from ticket sales for BIG games.
Sharing gate revenue unique, vital to B1G football | The Gazette
Can't say what meetings are like but I think the BIG has a vested interest in seeing us ,and all their members be successful.The full share will come. A contract is a contract.
We are lucky we have a seat, to complain about a full share, shows a lack of gratitude.
The athletic dept is managing, Part Hobbs knows the situation and he is doing an exceptional job working through it.

How would you guys like UConn in the B1G to have an even number of four eastern schools in the conference and a closer road game to travel to?

Just think the last regular season game is Rivalry Week and RU-UConn & PSU-Maryland makes that work for all the B1G eastern schools.

Fan interest would definitely increase and be good for the B1G Conference - agree?

How would you guys like UConn in the B1G to have an even number of four eastern schools in the conference and a closer road game to travel to?

Just think the last regular season game is Rivalry Week and RU-UConn & PSU-Maryland makes that work for all the B1G eastern schools.

Fan interest would definitely increase and be good for the B1G Conference - agree?
Maybe, but it's just so much fun seeing them languish in the AAC.

No.

If B1G fans are bitching about RU football right now, they'd have an aneurysm over UConn football. Terrible fanbase that can't draw over 40k, off campus stadium which is a mortal sin to B1G purists. Plus UConn would get slaughtered just as badly vs Washington, OSU and Michigan.

Increased fan interest? The Illinois fanbase traveled to Piscataway to watch their terrible team better than the Yukies in their best years.

Reactions: JerseyVegas
ADVERTISEMENT