ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Nathan

zebnatto

All Conference
May 7, 2008
Especially to those who see practices: how well does he compete, will he have any role next year?

He's a walk-on and there will be likely Doorson, Carter, Omoruyi, Johnson, and Doucore ahead of him in the front court so I doubt it.

I'm sure he has an important role on the team as a big body in practice, but he is unlikely to see significant time.

Last edited:
He got some minutes in some early games and did not look that bad. He looks like a great teammate on the bench one of the first to congratulate the team during time outs etc.

He got some minutes in some early games and did not look that bad. He looks like a great teammate on the bench one of the first to congratulate the team during time outs etc.

What I'm curious about is if in practice he competes at a close-to-equal level with Duke and Myles or if he seems not to belong.

Pikiell said at the CC meeting on Monday night there's a good chance Nathan will be red-shirted next season.
Piscataway, Pikiell must see promise in Nathan. I am sure he is highly coachable and Pikiell sees him developing into a stretch four. He had Ivy League offers I believe.

Yes he did have a couple of Ivy offers. One game this year he got 5 rebounds in the last 2 minutes. Coach spoke highly of him and his contributions to the team. He has stated that Luke might have a future if he keeps working within a couple of years. He just might be red shirted next season. He seems like a great kid.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Yes he did have a couple of Ivy offers. One game this year he got 5 rebounds in the last 2 minutes. Coach spoke highly of him and his contributions to the team. He has stated that Luke might have a future if he keeps working within a couple of years. He just might be red shirted next season. He seems like a great kid.
I think he's a potential 5-10 minute a game contributor as an upperclassman. I like the idea of redshirting him. He has some skills and pretty good athleticism.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
He is a HUGE asset to the team, its been literally decades that we can use a scout team front court guy over 6'5, really helps prepping for games. I like that he will redshirt next season, I can see him being very useful in a couple of seasons being the guy that can play 2-3 minutes a game when for example your starting and backup centers got three fouls right before halftime and you need a guy just to fill in quality minutes to keep the others from fouling out.

Piscataway, Pikiell must see promise in Nathan. I am sure he is highly coachable and Pikiell sees him developing into a stretch four. He had Ivy League offers I believe.

The scouting report I got from someone close to his HS program is he needed to get a lot stronger to compete against other bigs. He supposedly has a decent short jumper and is very coachable but raw and still adjusting to being 6'10" if that makes sense.

The scouting report I got from someone close to his HS program is he needed to get a lot stronger to compete against other bigs. He supposedly has a decent short jumper and is very coachable but raw and still adjusting to being 6'10" if that makes sense.

I am sure his willingness to be coached is why Pikiell sees an investment in him. A sponge is always better than a rock. It will take you to far greater heights.

It is interesting though him playing this year, and now next year redshirting. That shows a lot of confidence.

He is a HUGE asset to the team, its been literally decades that we can use a scout team front court guy over 6'5, really helps prepping for games. I like that he will redshirt next season, I can see him being very useful in a couple of seasons being the guy that can play 2-3 minutes a game when for example your starting and backup centers got three fouls right before halftime and you need a guy just to fill in quality minutes to keep the others from fouling out.

Is he a huge asset if he is not playing more than 3 minutes a game? As a kid being redshirtted, does that mean he is now a scholarship player?

Nathan brings a great attitude every game.

Cant teach height. If hes coached under our staff i have no doubt he will contribute spot minutes at the 5.

Is he a huge asset if he is not playing more than 3 minutes a game? As a kid being redshirtted, does that mean he is now a scholarship player?

Nathan brings a great attitude every game.
He's a huge asset if he never plays. To run a practice with a full scout team pays dividends.

Reactions: satnom
If he starts playing over scholarship players then what does that say about the kinds of players are coaches deem scholarship-worthy?

Danny Waterstradt?

If he starts playing over scholarship players then what does that say about the kinds of players are coaches deem scholarship-worthy?

Generally when walk-ons get to the point where they play over scholarship players, they earn a scholarship. More common in football.... though Jim Valvano started as a walk on at Rutgers, so it's certainly not unheard of.

ADVERTISEMENT