ADVERTISEMENT

Mac McClung's Crazy Athleticism

there are other videos of his passing out there. he has court vision .

Yes - many articles that provide in-depth profile of him & his capabilities go beyond the 'dazzle' - they speak to the leadership & work ethic & court vision & his abilities as a distributor of the ball to talented teammates to produce points. The general impression is that, despite the flashy highlights, Mac is not by nature a constant one man circus - he may have put up crazy high individual point totals in some games - but it seems that those were in situations where constantly feeding Mac was the best available strategy for his team to produce points.

However - even when surrounded with highly highly talented teammates, the existence of the acrobatics & fancy dunks are great focus altering features - even if not frequently employed in a game - the intensely dazzling image of these capabilities will pull up a chair and sit right smack in the middle of defenders minds ... while Mac then dishes it off right & left to open teammates for scores (possibly all a bit more open because of extra focus on Mac - because nobody wants to have the crowd "oohing & ahhing" as they see the flying McClung sailing over their head to make a flashy dunk.)

The key will be how Mac's game translates to B1G basketball - but Pikiell & Co certainly have already formed strong opinions on this - no doubt they have assessed his ability to move up & are confident of his 'coach-ability' & commitment to executing a game-plan.

Reactions: LC-88
Basketball IQ is (obviously) great to have but that can be coached. You can't coach athleticism.

Impressive, but for a point guard I will be more impressed with court awareness, BB IQ, toughness, and a nice consistent stroke.
Yes

Video of him finding the open man, finishing in traffic, and knocking down 3s would be more impressive.
Yes

people commenting on a video speaking on other skills ina thread specifically about the kids athleticism are huge sticks in the mud.

Hes gonna be a solid player for us.
Nah. And lets hope so.

there are other videos of his passing out there. he has court vision .
Good.

The key will be how Mac's game translates to B1G basketball - but Pikiell & Co certainly have already formed strong opinions on this - no doubt they have assessed his ability to move up & are confident of his 'coach-ability' & commitment to executing a game-plan.
And this is the key.

If the boss is cool, we should be cool. :sunglasses:

Video of him finding the open man, finishing in traffic, and knocking down 3s would be more impressive.

And this particular video was recorded in a gym where it looks like there was no one to pass the ball to, so if he made a pass to someone else, the pass would have gone out of bounds. That would be dumb. So in reality, this is a testament to his court awareness (cause nobody was open so he passed the ball to himself).

Seriously, chances are, he was in the gym working on other parts of the game also, don't ya think?

And this particular video was recorded in a gym where it looks like there was no one to pass the ball to, so if he made a pass to someone else, the pass would have gone out of bounds. That would be dumb. So in reality, this is a testament to his court awareness (cause nobody was open so he passed the ball to himself).

Seriously, chances are, he was in the gym working on other parts of the game also, don't ya think?
I believe the point he was trying to make is that everybody knows McClung can jump and dunk. Putting out a video that shows he's working on skills that need improvement is what @LotusAggressor would like to see.

Kids tend to put out videos of things that they will hardly ever do in a game but it is what it is

DP...reminds me of Corey's dunking ability.

But what is your opinion / others of Mac's ability to create his own shot? Hit the midrange j? Hit the 3 ball?

Just wondering.

MO

I've only seen the same videos everyone else has seen. He has a great handle and good vision. Don't know about shooting.

Lots of video on Mac McClung is accessible via Youtube.

High school game tape, aau,etc.

I believe the point he was trying to make is that everybody knows McClung can jump and dunk. Putting out a video that shows he's working on skills that need improvement is what @LotusAggressor would like to see.

Kids tend to put out videos of things that they will hardly ever do in a game but it is what it is

Yeah, this video was put out there because Mac is a teenager and he is freakin talented. And it is so going to suck for us that we have a very athletic point guard! j/k

Reactions: MV9000
DP...reminds me of Corey's dunking ability.

But what is your opinion / others of Mac's ability to create his own shot? Hit the midrange j? Hit the 3 ball?

Just wondering.

MO
I've mentioned this in another thread, or maybe this one, about McClung: Right now McClung is a blow-by-guy. If he is not able to do that he struggles. Below is a shot chart zone with McClung's results in 20 Adidas Uprising games. As you can see he makes almost zero use of the mid-range. It's either blow by and get to, or close to, the rim or shoot a three-pointer (which he is so-so at).

Capture_zpsqvwft0fj.jpg

Reactions: MikeMikeC
Yeah, this video was put out there because Mac is a white basketball player who is explosive and you don't see that combination too often, especially at his size. And it is so going to suck for us that we have a very athletic point guard! j/k
FIFY :sunglasses:

I've mentioned this in another thread, or maybe this one, about McClung: Right now McClung is a blow-by-guy. If he is not able to do that he struggles. Below is a shot chart zone with McClung's results in 20 Adidas Uprising games. As you can see he makes almost zero use of the mid-range. It's either blow by and get to, or close to, the rim or shoot a three-pointer (which he is so-so at).

Capture_zpsqvwft0fj.jpg

@Russ Wood Just curious if it's something that he doesn't have and needs to work on or hasn't had to use due to the competition/nature of these tournaments...

Russ - that's really good analysis. Sure jumps out at you when you look at that data. Thanks. I'm sure coach knows what his weaknesses are. He must feel he and his coaches can work with him to build up his gaps.

Reactions: Russ Wood
@Russ Wood Just curious if it's something that he doesn't have and needs to work on or hasn't had to use due to the competition/nature of these tournaments...
Just a guess but it is probably something that he doesn't have and needs to work on due to the competition in his HS league.

Often athletic guys who play HS ball in a low classification, Gate City HS is class 2A, can excel thanks to their athleticism.

Lots of times at those lower classification levels many of the kids aren't just basketball players. The school enrollment is so small guys, are playing two or three sports simply because they enjoy playing those Sports not because they're trying to get college scholarships.

Then they play on a legit AAU circuit (like the Adidas gauntlet) and discover that just about everyone they're going up against is a basketball only kid who is just as strong, quick, fast, (if not stronger, quicker, and faster) and can keep a ball handler in front of them. That's the moment that they, hopefully, realize they have to be more than a run/jump/dunk player.

Because when someone like me says he's a run/jump/dunk player, it is not a compliment. It typically means he can't do anything else.

ADVERTISEMENT