ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mac McLung Summer League Going Off

ScarletKid2008

All American
Sep 8, 2006
Bergen County, NJ
this kid looks legit. I know it’s just a summer league but it’s college level competition and he looks really really good out there. Explosiveness is through the roof. He’s dunking and alley oop’in on everyone. Dropped 39 points in one game. 39 points !!

I post this knowing people are going to come out all negative and bash me, bash the fact it’s summer league , yadayada ...

I’m just saying as a general fan of basketball , he’s super exciting to watch. Highlight reel. Would’ve loved to have him here at RU ! I hope McDonnell turns out to be a better overall player .

Reactions: RUBigFrank
this kid looks legit. I know it’s just a summer league but it’s college level competition and he looks really really good out there. Explosiveness is through the roof. He’s dunking and alley oop’in on everyone. Dropped 39 points in one game. 39 points !!

I post this knowing people are going to come out all negative and bash me, bash the fact it’s summer league , yadayada ...

I’m just saying as a general fan of basketball , he’s super exciting to watch. Highlight reel. Would’ve loved to have him here at RU ! I hope McDonnell turns out to be a better overall player .
We traded McClung for Carter.

If you are referring to the Kenner League then that is a good Pro-Am summer league. It is miles away from what it used to be but the Georgetown freshmen almost always play in it.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
McClung is elite. Probably not quite a 1 and done because of his height but close

Why couldn't Pike close the deal?
Are we sure that is what happened?

Maybe he liked Pike and the staff. Maybe he liked Rutgers. Maybe he just didn't like/wasn't comfortable with where Rutgers is located. It happens. I know a kid who visited St. John's and LOVED everything about the visit except when he was off campus. He just didn't feel comfortable in NYC. Another kid told me he loved his visit to Clemson and would have committed to them if it wasn't in the south. He said once he was there and was off campus he didn't get a good vibe.

It happens, doesn't mean a coach couldn't close the deal.

Meanwhile, McClung could become a program changing player if he has a good career at Georgetown. He is just the second white guard to accept a scholarship to play there. I used to live 12 miles from Georgetown and I couldn't tell you who the other one was.

Maybe he liked Pike and the staff. Maybe he liked Rutgers. Maybe he just didn't like/wasn't comfortable with where Rutgers is located. It happens. I know a kid who visited St. John's and LOVED everything about the visit except when he was off campus. He just didn't feel comfortable in NYC. Another kid told me he loved his visit to Clemson and would have committed to them if it wasn't in the south. He said once he was there and was off campus he didn't get a good vibe.

Meanwhile, McClung could become a program changing player if he has a good career at Georgetown. He is just the second white guard to accept a scholarship to play there. I used to live 12 miles from Georgetown and I couldn't tell you who the other one was.

I want to say there were two. Esherick played for Big John a little before my time (since you seem to know DC, I was at Crossland High School a year ahead of Walt Williams). Then he had another little shooter after the Final Four runs. I can't remember his name, though.

I want to say there were two. Esherick played for Big John a little before my time (since you seem to know DC, I was at Crossland High School a year ahead of Walt Williams). Then he had another little shooter after the Final Four runs. I can't remember his name, though.
It is like a Final Jeopardy question lol

Crossland huh? I had a Spanish teacher at High Point who kept telling us if we didn't get our grades up they were going to transfer her to Crossland.

If I recall correctly, Mac was set to come here but he ended up rubbing the players on our team the wrong way. There wasn't much helping, which caused him to decommit. While I love watching his highlights, my fear was that we might be looking at a Corey Sanders 2.0 situation with a lot of unnecessary off the court stuff.

I am rooting for McClung to be a productive and complete basketball player at the next level at GTown...if you want the most popular player that Georgetown will have in the last decade, McClung will be your guy.

It's actually the Jason Sehorn syndrome from almost 20 years ago coming out of USC...the sports media is supposed to be shedding some of these stereotypes but when Sehorn wound up playing starting corner for the Giants in the NYC market (and coming out of USC), this is some of what McClung will have to actually overcome.

Unfortunately a lot of hype has taken away from a lot of his work ethic on his legs and athleticism...he will need to round out his half court game, point guard skill sets when he's really a SG and find a way into Georgetown's rotation first.

Whatever McClung does will be magnified....i hope Pat Ewing doesn't get forced into being the bad guy that doesn't play McClung enough because he hasnt earned it and winds up playing him more because his exciting plays, have fans looking for more.

There are basketball purists that will say McClung will be a very good player....i have a hard time seeing McClung being ahead of Mathis, Baker, Kiss or McConnell....McConnell would have assuredly been still a recruiting target, even if McClung stayed committed to RU, once Souf and Bullock transferred out.

McClung could be a great 4 year story at GTown, if he pops early and earns more minutes than i expect this season....the question is will he stick it out after his freshman season, with more talent coming into GTown for 2019...or will he look for definite minutes transferring down a level where he may wind up dominating at a lower conference level, make the NCAA'S by leading his team and assuring himself 30+ minutes a night.....

Not quite one and done? How about not even close. What have you been smokin? Top 20 ranked players are the guys who are in the 1 and done range....not someone ranked outside of the top 150.
I’ve watched him plenty, that ranking is criminal. The rest of his game gets disrespected because all anyone cares about is that he’s white and can jump really high.

If you think top 20 ranked players are the only guys who go 1 and done, you’re mistaken. Zhaire Smith was drafted 16th in this last draft out of Texas Tech and wasn’t in the top 150. Misses happen, especially when you live out in the middle of nowhere like McClung.

Like I said, I don’t expect him to be a 1 and done, but the NBA is certainly possible with his work ethic whether it be 2 and done or later down the road. Okogie was a 2 and done in this draft ranked 149 by Rivals.

I’ve watched him plenty, that ranking is criminal. The rest of his game gets disrespected because all anyone cares about is that he’s white and can jump really high.

If you think top 20 ranked players are the only guys who go 1 and done, you’re mistaken. Zhaire Smith was drafted 16th in this last draft out of Texas Tech and wasn’t in the top 150. Misses happen, especially when you live out in the middle of nowhere like McClung.

Like I said, I don’t expect him to be a 1 and done, but the NBA is certainly possible with his work ethic whether it be 2 and done or later down the road. Okogie was a 2 and done in this draft ranked 149 by Rivals.
Elite athleticism is not enough. Corey was elite athletically and did not get drafted. McClung will need to be able to do more than jump high and dunk to be successful in college, let alone the NBA.

Mac will be fun to watch as a fan but I personally believe that Pikiell and staff may have cooled on him after Mathis committed. Don’t forget Mathis committed 1-2 days after McClung. Rutgers needed more front court players and Carter committed immediately after McClung decided to look elsewhere. I’m not trying to spin it, Pikiell appeared to be very ready with another player waiting to commit.

Reactions: Rokodesh
The whispers of him not gelling with the other guys was enough for me. Not saying he is a bad guy or anything like that, but sometimes the chemistry isn't there. Relationships like that can poison a TEAM and cause issues.

Given the timing of his decommit and Carter's commit, you could make the case that it was mutual between McClung and RU. With only one scholly at that point, Carter was a more important need. Carter appeared to sign up within hours of McClung decommit.

McClung will be the BE rookie of the year

I am willing to make a Big Ten Build fund bet on both these. $250 he isn't a one or two and done player, and another $250 that he is not BE ROY. I'll put another $100 that he isn't even All-BE rookie team. And just so you don't think I am not sharing: The Big East has 4 of the Top 50, 7 of the Top 100 and 9 of the Top 150 recruits according to Rivals entering the league this season. Macclung is beating them all out for BE ROY or even All-BE rookie team?

I am certainly not an evaluator of HS talent but Mac McClung is (in my opinion) a stretch as a BE level player at all. From what I've seen and heard he is a mid-major kid. And there is nothing wrong with that at all.

Maclung will need to outplay two of the three returning scorers from Georgetown (both guards), and the #71 recruit in the nation (according to Rivals--also a PG) simply to get minutes.

Last edited:
McClung will be the BE rookie of the year

Lots fo articles recently about him. Seems to blowing up. It's early, but you may be right.

On the downside, I've heard that he's not really 6'2" and is closer to 6'0"...that's a big difference.

Last edited:
He is just the second white guard to accept a scholarship to play there. I used to live 12 miles from Georgetown and I couldn't tell you who the other one was.

Russ: assuming you mean from the JT Sr. tenure onward. I’m sure prior it was the only type of guard you saw which reminds me of the time I visited the Dean Dome at UNC Chapel Hill and walked around the main concourse looking at the team photos from the 30-40s onward and noticed that there wasn’t a non white face to be seen on the team until the early 70s onward.

Q: are you originally from the DC area?

GO RU

I am willing to make a Big Ten Build fund bet on both these. $250 he isn't a one or two and done player, and another $250 that he is not BE ROY. I'll put another $100 that he isn't even All-BE rookie team. And just so you don't think I am not sharing: The Big East has 4 of the Top 50, 7 of the Top 100 and 9 of the Top 150 recruits according to Rivals entering the league this season. Macclung is beating them all out for BE ROY or even All-BE rookie team?

I am certainly not an evaluator of HS talent but Mac McClung is (in my opinion) a stretch as a BE level player at all. From what I've seen and heard he is a mid-major kid. And there is nothing wrong with that at all.

Maclung will need to outplay two of the three returning scorers from Georgetown (both guards), and the #71 recruit in the nation (according to Rivals--also a PG) simply to get minutes.

I'm well-aware of how good the BE is - not one of those guys who shits on the BE in order to prop up the B1G. With Quinerly and Duke coming in I simply can't make that bet, though I do think McClung and Akinjo are right there. They'll certainly push each other to be better.

Also not sure where you got that two of G'Town's three returning scorers are guards...all three are forwards.

I'm well-aware of how good the BE is - not one of those guys who shits on the BE in order to prop up the B1G. With Quinerly and Duke coming in I simply can't make that bet, though I do think McClung and Akinjo are right there. They'll certainly push each other to be better.

Also not sure where you got that two of G'Town's three returning scorers are guards...all three are forwards.

My bad I thought Govan and Derrickson both graduated.

Maclung will need to outplay Jahvon Blair, who averaged 9 ppg and 21 mpg as well as Jagan Mosely (St. Anthony's kid), who averaged 6.6ppg and 23.2 mpg. As well as Akinjo or else he is the fourth guard.

Is he the primary ball handler or no? Good luck to Mcclung. Five months ago I wasn’t sure he’d make the leap, but I have changed my tune a little bit in the past two months.

Russ: assuming you mean from the JT Sr. tenure onward. I’m sure prior it was the only type of guard you saw which reminds me of the time I visited the Dean Dome at UNC Chapel Hill and walked around the main concourse looking at the team photos from the 30-40s onward and noticed that there wasn’t a non white face to be seen on the team until the early 70s onward.

Q: are you originally from the DC area?

GO RU
Charlie Scott was the first black player at UNC in 1967.

Yes, I'm originally from Washington, D.C.

Guys

I wanted mac...but even when Mac was here on his official visit, Mulchay was here the same weekend for an unofficial ...and pike was recruiting PM really hard there and then...

We are getting ours

And, I think of Macconnell as the kid that replaces macclung, by the way

I get it...but they were mutually exclusive recruitments
There’s a little more to the story that won’t share... But what I’ll say is Shaq Carter put us at the schollie limit at the time. Yes, I know you can oversign. But that’s that

On the downside, I've heard that he's not really 6'2" and is closer to 6'0"...that's a big difference.

There's video of him standing next to AI and he sure looks to have two inches on him. He's probably just under 6'2.

Quite frankly I could care less. No need to bash, but no need to discuss.
Agree with you. He’s way out of my range and not even in the rear view mirror. I don’t know the details but I don’t think we cooled on him. Georgetown is a a good school and if he does well; so be it.

My focus is on the guys coming here and I’m excited as hell about them.

I am rooting for McClung to be a productive and complete basketball player at the next level at GTown...if you want the most popular player that Georgetown will have in the last decade, McClung will be your guy.

It's actually the Jason Sehorn syndrome from almost 20 years ago coming out of USC...the sports media is supposed to be shedding some of these stereotypes but when Sehorn wound up playing starting corner for the Giants in the NYC market (and coming out of USC), this is some of what McClung will have to actually overcome.

Unfortunately a lot of hype has taken away from a lot of his work ethic on his legs and athleticism...he will need to round out his half court game, point guard skill sets when he's really a SG and find a way into Georgetown's rotation first.

Whatever McClung does will be magnified....i hope Pat Ewing doesn't get forced into being the bad guy that doesn't play McClung enough because he hasnt earned it and winds up playing him more because his exciting plays, have fans looking for more.

There are basketball purists that will say McClung will be a very good player....i have a hard time seeing McClung being ahead of Mathis, Baker, Kiss or McConnell....McConnell would have assuredly been still a recruiting target, even if McClung stayed committed to RU, once Souf and Bullock transferred out.

McClung could be a great 4 year story at GTown, if he pops early and earns more minutes than i expect this season....the question is will he stick it out after his freshman season, with more talent coming into GTown for 2019...or will he look for definite minutes transferring down a level where he may wind up dominating at a lower conference level, make the NCAA'S by leading his team and assuring himself 30+ minutes a night.....

MMMMmmmm...as a Rutgers fan I don't care if he rides the pines, tours the pines or plays Torrey Pines.
He doesn't exist.

NEXT!

MO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT