ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mac McLung Summer League Going Off

Love the guys coming, but this one hurts. This kid is obviously a baller.

This isn’t football. There are 3-5 players a class. If a coach can start to recruit good classes there are plenty of 3/4* that you either miss on or pass on. Hopefully we get used to it

Reactions: dkostus
Mclung is not a miss by Pike. I’m overly critical of Pike at times. Not in this case. Mclung is just ok. Now missing out on Hyatt would be a miss.

Just wish the kid luck, no need for any bashing. I was interested in watching on a daily basis to see what type of player he would become, and a little hype never hurt a program. I didnt work out, for whatever reason, we move on...

Russ, would you trade Mathis for McClung?

I think the better and more equal question is would you trade McConnell for McClung?

Either way .. love the team we have and the direction we are going.
From a pure basketball fan perspective though - watching the stuff McClung has been doing is exciting. At one point it seemed like it was going to be a fit at RU, and then it wasn't. That's fine. But an intriguing player who brings it so I'll definitely be interested in how he turns out. No regrets, but still an interesting watch.

I just wish MAC the best. He is very good but I think if he came to RU perhaps he might have been too much the focus like Corey was. I think sharing the ball among 5 guys and playing more team ball just might be better. I will follow his career. We shall see.

McClung is elite. Probably not quite a 1 and done because of his height but close
Elite lol..he was not going to do what he does against lower tier players to the big ten. He is not a complete player.

I'd like to have been able to cheer for him at The RAC
He's a player
Keep lamenting over an inferior product

Russ, would you trade Mathis for MacClung?
It was never a question of Mathis vs McClung. Is there a gas leak in this thread? It's like everyone forgot what kind of prospect McClung is. His game is very one dimensional. He relies on his athleticism way too much and that's not a given for success at the next level. How often do people think he's dunking on real big men?

Last edited:
Reactions: RutgHoops
I am rooting for McClung to be a productive and complete basketball player at the next level at GTown...if you want the most popular player that Georgetown will have in the last decade, McClung will be your guy.

It's actually the Jason Sehorn syndrome from almost 20 years ago coming out of USC...the sports media is supposed to be shedding some of these stereotypes but when Sehorn wound up playing starting corner for the Giants in the NYC market (and coming out of USC), this is some of what McClung will have to actually overcome.

Unfortunately a lot of hype has taken away from a lot of his work ethic on his legs and athleticism...he will need to round out his half court game, point guard skill sets when he's really a SG and find a way into Georgetown's rotation first.

Whatever McClung does will be magnified....i hope Pat Ewing doesn't get forced into being the bad guy that doesn't play McClung enough because he hasnt earned it and winds up playing him more because his exciting plays, have fans looking for more.

McClung could be a great 4 year story at GTown, if he pops early and earns more minutes than i expect this season....the question is will he stick it out after his freshman season, with more talent coming into GTown for 2019...or will he look for definite minutes transferring down a level where he may wind up dominating at a lower conference level, make the NCAA'S by leading his team and assuring himself 30+ minutes a night.....
It certainly didn't hurt that he looked and more importantly PLAYED like another Giant who also went to USC...Frank Gifford.

You look the part off the field and play the part on the field in this area, you get to write your own ticket.

Last edited:
Elite lol..he was not going to do what he does against lower tier players to the big ten. He is not a complete player.

Keep lamenting over an inferior product

It was never a question of Mathis vs McClung. Is there a gas leak in this thread? It's like everyone forgot what kind of prospect McClung is. His game is very one dimensional. He relies on his athleticism way too much and that's not a given for success at the next level. How often do people think he's dunking on real big men?
Ashcan, I knew the answer to the question when I asked it.

It is impossible to like this post enough. And I'll be a bit of an arse here to the Mac Mcclung fan club, but when you can't get the ball up the court against Souf Mensah you may struggle at the next level.

Come again? Are you saying that Mac struggled vs Souf in a pick up game or something?

We’ll revisit this during the thread during the season. I think he should’ve been ranked up there with Quinerly and Akinjo in the 30-70 range. Can’t teach that level of athleticism, and the rest of his game gets overlooked because of his dunks. He has shown that he can play with anyone, though, despite the competition he faced in high school. He’s pretty similar to Corey with an added inch or two and a better attitude.

There is no D played in those summer leagues. Lets see what happens when Mac is in a real game with other D1s playing real defense. He won't be nearly as impressive. Nothing against him, but I'm reserving judgment.

There is no D played in those summer leagues. Lets see what happens when Mac is in a real game with other D1s playing real defense. He won't be nearly as impressive. Nothing against him, but I'm reserving judgment.
I was more referring to him playing 1 on 1 with Akinjo and higher-ranked players and holding his own

We’ll revisit this during the thread during the season. I think he should’ve been ranked up there with Quinerly and Akinjo in the 30-70 range. Can’t teach that level of athleticism, and the rest of his game gets overlooked because of his dunks. He has shown that he can play with anyone, though, despite the competition he faced in high school. He’s pretty similar to Corey with an added inch or two and a better attitude.

Was it the 0 starts,12 minutes per game or 6 points per game that he averaged for his (talented) AAU team that has you fired up?

I hope he is good at Georgetown, but other than some highlight dunks and the exposure/brilliant use of social media his cousin Riff Raff helped with I simply don't get the excitement. Maybe I am missing something. Wouldn't be the first time.

https://www.prepcircuit.com/stats/t...9&tab=team_instance_player_stats&tool=2444367

Was it the 0 starts,12 minutes per game or 6 points per game that he averaged for his (talented) AAU team that has you fired up?

I hope he is good at Georgetown, but other than some highlight dunks and the exposure/brilliant use of social media his cousin Riff Raff helped with I simply don't get the excitement. Maybe I am missing something. Wouldn't be the first time.

https://www.prepcircuit.com/stats/t...9&tab=team_instance_player_stats&tool=2444367
By "talented" you mean the best AAU team in the country. Those stats don't look complete (only goes up to 5 starts), but in any case Wynn averaged less time than Mac and had offers from Wake Forest, Mississippi State, and Ole Miss and same with Calhoun who holds a Virginia Tech offer.

And Riff Raff isn't actually his cousin. That was made up, and not by McClung. No relation lol.

You're crazy..he's a poor poor man's Sanders at best.

You're crazy..he's a poor poor man's Sanders at best.

Actually Mac’s best trait IMO is what Sanders absolutely did not have - the ability to make smart/quick drive/pass decisions off penetration after beating his first defender and as the help D is coming. If Mac can be an adequate defender I think he will have a solid career. But I won’t pretend to know for a fact that will happen because I am no expert on how he will handle the defensive responsibilities of a Big East point guard.

Love the guys coming, but this one hurts. This kid is obviously a baller.
---
we will find out in short order, if we lost out..

as others have mentioned, we may not have tried hard to hang onto him, when we knew we could get Carter, and fill a big man spot......

it comes down to, did we need another guard or big man more?

It is impossible to like this post enough. And I'll be a bit of an arse here to the Mac Mcclung fan club, but when you can't get the ball up the court against Souf Mensah you may struggle at the next level.

Oh, my.

That’s a mike dropper right there. ^^^

Any other questions?

Oh, my.

That’s a mike dropper right there. ^^^

Any other questions?
In this video you can see Mensah giving multiple Big Ten guards a hard time. It was the (literally) one thing he could do well at times, so I wouldn't make too much of anecdotal reports of 17-year-old McClung struggling to bring it up against 23-year-old Mensah. I think McClung will be fine at Georgetown, maybe not all league but definitely a contributor that will make exciting plays.

In this video you can see Mensah giving multiple Big Ten guards a hard time. It was the (literally) one thing he could do well at times, so I wouldn't make too much of anecdotal reports of 17-year-old McClung struggling to bring it up against 23-year-old Mensah. I think McClung will be fine at Georgetown, maybe not all league but definitely a contributor that will make exciting plays.

I know everyone craps on Souf and he didn’t do much for us offensively, but being a defensive snob, I loved seeing him putting in full court maximum effort and trying to lock people down.

That being said, you still have to be able to bring the ball up the court consistently no matter how stingy the defense. If people see you struggling, they’ll smell blood in the water and hound you until you get benched. If this anecdote really is true, I think we made the right decision here.

I know everyone craps on Souf and he didn’t do much for us offensively, but being a defensive snob, I loved seeing him putting in full court maximum effort and trying to lock people down.

That being said, you still have to be able to bring the ball up the court consistently no matter how stingy the defense. If people see you struggling, they’ll smell blood in the water and hound you until you get benched. If this anecdote really is true, I think we made the right decision here.
While I'd like to know the true story, I don't know that Rutgers actually "cut McClung loose". Maybe the staff wasn't too upset to have that spot back at the time, but I think they did want him and he decommitted on his own for whatever reason.

While I'd like to know the true story, I don't know that Rutgers actually "cut McClung loose". Maybe the staff wasn't too upset to have that spot back at the time, but I think they did want him and he decommitted on his own for whatever reason.

True. I guess I meant to say something along the lines of, his leaving might have been for the better. I don’t actually know why he left.

Reactions: SJScarlet
McClung is an athletic 1 on 1 guard, who takes a lot of shots and doesn't play defense. That translates to the NBA for some players...he is not or doesn't play team first basketball which shows up very clearly for those who have watched any GTown games over the last 2 years. While McClung "decommitted", he would not have bought into team culture and concepts at RU and our "replacement " in the 2018 recruiting cycle was taking Jacob Young as a transfer in spring.....Young is a dominant on the ball defender and as athletic as McClung.....I don't believe McClung is better than Young as a complete player, but McClung definitely takes way more shots than Young, to get his PPG over 15...

ADVERTISEMENT