ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mac McLung Summer League Going Off

Bump. Interesting to come look back at this now.

SAVE YOUR BUMP when you see him get drafted, signed or play a game in the NBA.

Unless you mean "testing the waters" means he will drafted or signed.

It’s funny how everyone who doesn’t come here since Pike began doesn’t quite pan out. McClung is a similar player to Corey Sanders, which for those keeping score at home, is not an NBA caliber player. Alvarado had an injury, the PG who chose Wisconsin over us (leading to us signing Caleb) has transferred, Hyatt hasn’t done much, etc etc.

Not sure I’ve seen anyone credit Pike’s big picture overview discussed. One of the first connections he made was at Roselle Catholic, going to practice early on and offering Matt Bullock. He got killed here for it. 4 years later we sign Cliff. Think before you kill Pike for anything!

SAVE YOUR BUMP when you see him get drafted, signed or play a game in the NBA.

Unless you mean "testing the waters" means he will drafted or signed.
I’ll bump it again, don’t worry. Just thought it was interesting. If you read the thread you’ll see I said I think he’s a 2 or 3 and done. Looks about right, despite dealing with injuries.

It’s funny how everyone who doesn’t come here since Pike began doesn’t quite pan out.

I think you are making the case that Pike and staff are good at developing players. I'm sure he really wanted Alvarado, Strickland, and Hyatt, and in the case of the latter two, I wonder if they would be better if they came here.

As for McClung, he had a nice season, but I think people forget that he was seeing decreased minutes right around the time Georgetown had their mass exodus at the end of November. If that doesn't happen, we might be having a much different discussion about him right now.

McClung is very good but I am happy with the guys we have. Our team chemistry is very good and I just don't think it would be the same if he had come to RU. I want guys at RU who buy into Steve's team philosophy. I wish McClung nothing but the best going forward.

I don’t know how anyone can say we would have been worse if he had come here but, I do, however, think it is clear when you look at how this team played this year that we would not have been better if he were here. Thus, his not coming here is for me a non issue.

I don’t know how anyone can say we would have been worse if he had come here but, I do, however, think it is clear when you look at how this team played this year that we would not have been better if he were here. Thus, his not coming here is for me a non issue.
If he doesn't like our players, how does that help us. Is he better than young if he plays the same minutes in the big ten? I doubt it. His defense isn't near young level.

If he doesn't like our players, how does that help us. Is he better than young if he plays the same minutes in the big ten? I doubt it. His defense isn't near young level.

I am just saying that how much worse we would have been is pure speculation. But, how much better is not. We had a great year and I can’t believe he could have made it better. So, he is therefore a non issue. I am glad we don’t have him.

I am just saying that how much worse we would have been is pure speculation. But, how much better is not. We had a great year and I can’t believe he could have made it better. So, he is therefore a non issue. I am glad we don’t have him.
I mean, I don’t think that’s how speculation works...

It’s funny how everyone who doesn’t come here since Pike began doesn’t quite pan out. McClung is a similar player to Corey Sanders, which for those keeping score at home, is not an NBA caliber player. Alvarado had an injury, the PG who chose Wisconsin over us (leading to us signing Caleb) has transferred, Hyatt hasn’t done much, etc etc.

Not sure I’ve seen anyone credit Pike’s big picture overview discussed. One of the first connections he made was at Roselle Catholic, going to practice early on and offering Matt Bullock. He got killed here for it. 4 years later we sign Cliff. Think before you kill Pike for anything!
Peter Kiss came to RU & that hasn't quite panned out.

Neither did mamadou a 4 star athlete. That's because nobody wanted McConnell and nobody wanted Myles Johnson and we took them anyway.
McConnell had a lot of offers from MAC schools and WVU. It not right to say no one wanted him. Myles did have an offer from Washington, but like the bumps they are, pulled it when he got hurt. There were a few other Pac 12 schools close to offering but decided not to once Myles got hurt.

McConnell had a lot of offers from MAC schools and WVU. It not right to say no one wanted him. Myles did have an offer from Washington, but like the bumps they are, pulled it when he got hurt. There were a few other Pac 12 schools close to offering but decided not to once Myles got hurt.
Don't really think the wvu offer was committable. Also don't really care much about Mac offers

Don't really think the wvu offer was committable. Also don't really care much about Mac offers
Unless we are McConnell or WVU, we don't know if it was or was not committable. You have to understand a division 1 offer is nothing blow off. Not everyone is good enough to earn an offer regardless of the division 1 team.

Neither did mamadou a 4 star athlete. That's because nobody wanted McConnell and nobody wanted Myles Johnson and we took them anyway.
I thought Johnson picked Rutgers over Georgia Tech?

Mamadou was a four-star prospect, not a four-star athlete.
McConnell had offers from Press Virginia, Wichita State, Rhode Island and others. I don't know how hard those schools pushed but to say nobody wanted the kid doesn't seem accurate.

McClung turned out to be a good ball player in a very good league. Simply no question about that. What would he have done at RU? Depends on how he would have bought into Pike's system and playing with the rest of the team. That is all speculative at this point. That he can play basketball is not.

Reactions: Unionst and RU89
If it’s gonna be written, at least get it right ... make that team leader, multi-year starter, future NFL-er, offensive line anchor, and Captain Jonah Jackson. That way we understand the differences between his departure and Dwumfour & Cruikshank’s.

McClung is a high maintenance kid and is projecting exactly as some people told me he would.

McClung on the open transfer market is going to have tons of interest because he's very good in transition but not investing much time or energy on defense. If he has next level aspirations, he's going to have to develop some work ethic & fight through screens on defense or he's going to be a 20 to 25 minutes a game player who averages double figure shot attempts every game and nothing more. Patrick Ewing is not going to lose any sleep if he transfers BUT is going to take a hit publicly. He's losing Yurtseven, his starting center who is leaving to go pro (not sure he's a hard worker on defense either), but averaged 16 and 9 this past year after transferring from NC State.

It wouldn't surprise me if GTown fans get riled up and get picked for last or next to last in the Big East next year and have a better performance than that, if they get rid of McClung....ideally McClung stays and buys in, but remains to be seen what he's going to do.

Reactions: biazza38
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT