ADVERTISEMENT

MacBook recomendatons

RU Leonard 23

All American
Sep 9, 2010
Any expects on here? Haven't had a lap top in years. I use my iPad for everything. Thinking about making the investment in a MacBook. I don't need it for anything crazy like games etc. Just everyday personal use and business.

Any suggestions? Price? Thanks
Posted from Rivals Mobile

The big differences between the MacBook Air and Pro are memory, storage and screen size (along with, of course, overall size and weight).

If 4GB of RAM and 256GB of storage along with a 13" screen size is okay for you, then go with the Air. If you need more of any of those things, you'll have to step up to the bigger, heavier and more expensive Pro.

How is your eye sight? And how much do you travel?

I found the 13 inch screens on the MacBook Air to small, but I'm older.

If you are travel a lot the Air is very light and easy to carry, if you don't travel and you are looking for a desktop replacement you don't need to spend the money on the Air.

I would also look into refurbished MacBooks from Apple.

i have the 13" macbook pro (late 2013 model).

since the late 2013 models even the pro are light and slim. if you dont believe me compare the 13" macbook pro and air in an apple store.

anyway, i had a reputation of being a pc "fan boy" and this is my first mac. friends/family nearly had a heart attack when one day i was seen using a mac.

I had owned many laptops before this and i can honestly say its a solid piece of hardware. i got tired of the hp/dell ones cracking, color fading, batteries dying, fans stopped working, over heating, etc.

i am not an apply fan boy by any means. I stick to android phones (htc phone currently and samsung tablet). I have no brand loyalty for every product, I only buy the best product available.

when it comes to laptops, from my experience the mac book pro 13" is solid after 2 years of use.

This post was edited on 3/8 8:06 PM by jay_hq

I would recommend 8GB as the minimum amount of RAM in a laptop today. You can get a MacBook Air with 8GB but you need to purchase it direct from Apple to customize that. Both MacBook Air and Pro now have the memory soldered onto the motherboard so you've got to get it now or never.

You might want to consider a factory refurbished one. You can save 15% or more off the MSRP and you get the same warranty.

Word on the street is that Apple will be announcing updates to the MacBook line tomorrow so a good time to buy the old models might be coming up.

Apple Store Certified Refurbished

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I know nothing. My iPad is 32gb. How can the computer be only 8?

I have a MacBook that I'm using as we speak that is 6.5 years old and still works very well. I'm starting to grow weary now of being unable to to upgrade my broswers etc because my software is old . I will be getting a new one sometime this year but definitely getting another Mac Book. I will not get an Air though as I require a DVD player. Still 6.5 years for a laptop that gets heavy use is pretty amazing. never broke down once either.

Some people like to laugh at the Apple fan boys, but the Macs are superior hardware and worth the money. My wife uses a PC laptop and it's a real PITA.

Stupid question: if you compare a 13" screen and a 15" screen, aren't the text sizes and "readability" the same ? It just enables someone to have more physical space put put windows and programs? Or will it ultimately actually be easier on the eyes with two extras inches? (I know, that's what she said)
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by RU Leonard 23:
Sorry if this is a stupid question. I know nothing. My iPad is 32gb. How can the computer be only 8?
RAM v. permanent memory.

The iPad has 2 GB of RAM and 32 GB of flash memory. A MacBook with 8 GB of RAM would have at least 128 GB of flash memory.

Assuming you're not going to do heavy gaming, movie or graphics editing, either a MacBook Pro or a MacBook Air would be a reasonable choice. If you value maximum portability, then the Air is the choice - it's so light it almost seems impossible. If you want to have more screen real estate (say, if you watch video and the iPad seems too small, or if you want to have multiple windows open at once), then you might want the Pro. My wife has an Air; and I have a Pro, we're both pretty happy.

My new Macbook Air is my third Macbook. I am very happy with it -- especially the backlighted keyboard, the longer battery life and the light weight. Basic memory is enough for me; only you know what you need in that dept. Also great wi-fi performance coupled with the latest Airport Express.

Oh, and by the way, I'm really old and have no trouble reading the 13-inch screen.

Lifelong PC user now using a Macbook Pro 15-inch. Very happy with it as I can run OS X, Ubuntu and Windows on it. I actually find that the Mac runs both Win7 and the Win10 Tech Preview better than any of my PCs do. I also installed the Office for Mac 2016 beta (link below) and it looks pretty solid.

Office for Mac beta

There's a chance there'd be a 12" Macbook Air Retina announced today.

I bought the top of the line Mac Air 13" but refurbished - no ascertainable difference between a brand new and a refurbished machine. Saved me a ton of $

Originally posted by pratyk:
I was just going to post this. Definitely a chance the new 12" MacBook Air with Retina display is announced today during the Apple Watch event. And if not today, then soon. You'll almost certainly benefit by waiting for this expected announcement before acting as the prices of other models are often adjusted downward when new releases are announced (or price is held steady with more features included).

I switched to Mac about a decade ago and haven't looked back. You definitely pay a good deal more than you would for the PC equivalent but the software generally just works and now, having also converted to the Apple ecosystem with my phone and tablet, all devices work well together. By no means is Apple perfect (I know a few 'fanboys' who never have a bad word to say about anything Apple which is silly). They definitely screw things up from time to time (iOS 8.0.1 anybody?) but overall I am a satisfied customer.

I bought the top of the line Mac Air 13" but refurbished - no ascertainable difference between a brand new and a refurbished machine.[/I] Saved me a ton of $
What exactly is the difference?

I bought the top of the line Mac Air 13" but refurbished - no ascertainable difference between a brand new and a refurbished machine.[/I] Saved me a ton of $
What exactly is the difference?
None...

Same warranty, same "as new" condition, and eligible for the AppleCare extended warranty. Most of their refurbs are items that are in perfect working order that were returned. So, they can't sell them as "new" (hence, the discount). I've purchased several refurb iPads, a refurb MacBook, and a refurb iMac and never had any problems. I'm typing this message on a refurb MacBook Pro that I purchased in 2009. Still runs like new.

This post was edited on 3/9 2:08 PM by RU09FOOTBALL

Actually, factory refurbs are quite often MORE reliable than brand new. Seems counterintuitive, however before each factory refurb is sold it goes through complete quality check to make sure that everything is functioning properly. So when it ships, the specific unit you are purchasing has passed every QA test before leaving the factory. When you buy a brand new unit, the production run is spot checked with random units going through a through QA and as long as the random units pass the inspection the entire run is shipped. The majority of units within the production run have not been individually tested.

My wife's previous MacBook Air was a refurb and it was fine. They're sometimes hard to find, though - the supply is quite limited.

Leonard,

Tell us a little more on how you plan to use it? Primarily working at a desk, traveling, sitting on a coach? For business: Emails, Word, Excel? All of the above?

Why did you decide on a MacBook as opposed to a PC?

Does anyone know how to customize fonts in Yosemite for Chrome bookmarks/tabs/toolbars? It is easy to change the actual web pages but not the bookmarks/tabs/toolbars

Originally posted by J.L. Gotrocks:
Does anyone know how to customize fonts in Yosemite for Chrome bookmarks/tabs/toolbars? It is easy to change the actual web pages but not the bookmarks/tabs/toolbars
Those use the default system font, which will need to be changed.

https://github.com/dtinth/YosemiteSystemFontPatcher

I'm on my 4th MacBook overall and 2nd MacBook Air. The most processor-intense activity that I put it through is photo editing while driving the screen on a 27" iMac and it handles it fine (the fans get whirring though). That's not the same as video editing which is more intense, but it's not a piece of cake and I'm happy with the performance. I travel a good deal for work and the lighter weight and smaller size of the MacBook Air is a blessing. I have an iMac at work and will often bring the Air in just to connect it and use the iMac as a 2nd monitor, which is awesome when writing papers. Battery life of the Air is fantastic - easily lasts on cross-country flights with time to spare even after landing.

The new upgrades announced today to most MacBook models will push the price of yesterday's model downward, so if you're ok with a generation-behind model I'd jump on it immediately. Resellers like MacMall (which I've never used) should still have one and you can still get service at an Apple Store.

I was a reluctant convert to Mac and if Windows Vista never existed, I'd probably still be on a PC. Oh well.

Originally posted by PatrickRU92:
I have a MacBook that I'm using as we speak that is 6.5 years old and still works very well. I'm starting to grow weary now of being unable to to upgrade my broswers etc because my software is old . I will be getting a new one sometime this year but definitely getting another Mac Book. I will not get an Air though as I require a DVD player. Still 6.5 years for a laptop that gets heavy use is pretty amazing. never broke down once either.

Some people like to laugh at the Apple fan boys, but the Macs are superior hardware and worth the money. My wife uses a PC laptop and it's a real PITA.
Macs are not superior hardware. Superior software that's better optimized for the specific hardware? Sure. Superior hardware, not a chance. People have built what are essentially macbooks for less money than a macbook. You're getting less for the money, honestly. Look at the new macbooks...1200 dollars and you're still paying more just to have a standard USB port because the laptop is THINNER. Pshaw. How thin do you need it when you're just throwing away functionality? Retina display is a buzzword that's been disproved multiple times. The reason Macbooks seem to run better is because Apple only has to develop for their own configurations, so bug testing is far, far easier. Microsoft and Linux are developing for thousands, possibly millions of hardware configurations. Apple only has to develop for two or three at a time. The hardware isn't any better.

Macbooks stop working too. My sister's started glitching at around five years, and she had to go to the Apple store multiple times to have her CD drive fixed.

Macs are PCs. PC means personal computer, and your mac is a personal computer.

Don't get me wrong, Apple makes gorgeous products. They have great designs, and very nice software development. They also have a marketing department that makes mind control look ineffective. But you get what you pay for. If you pay for a premium Windows computer, you will get a premium computer too. Apple just doesn't sell below premium.

I bought a MacBook Air in August. I upgraded the RAM and the processor to the i7. I did not upgrade the SSD since I could add an external HDD to compensate. If I could make a suggestion, upgrade the RAM at least because the modules are affixed and cannot be upgraded (at least easily).

Buying an Apple was a big step for me since I am PC gamer who builds his own computers. I have also owned two PC laptops.

I decided to make the plunge for a MacBook Air because I got tired of the poor quality of my PC laptops (Dell, Gateway). The huge battery life of the MacBook and backlit keyboard are also pluses. At the time only the mammoth-sized gaming PC laptops were equipped with the equivalent parts of the MacBook (sans video card). In fact the MacBook Air was cheaper. [aside: I don't know why PC laptop companies are so slow in implementing SSDs into their systems].

I did not select the MacBook Pro because I did not need the retina scan. The resolution of the Air more than fits my needs. The Pro is also more expensive than the Air and less portable.

I like my Air although I am still adapting to the Apple OS.

Originally posted by Sir ScarletKnight:

Originally posted by PatrickRU92:

Macs are not superior hardware. Superior software that's better optimized for the specific hardware? Sure. Superior hardware, not a chance. People have built what are essentially macbooks for less money than a macbook. You're getting less for the money, honestly. Look at the new macbooks...1200 dollars and you're still paying more just to have a standard USB port because the laptop is THINNER. Pshaw. How thin do you need it when you're just throwing away functionality? Retina display is a buzzword that's been disproved multiple times. The reason Macbooks seem to run better is because Apple only has to develop for their own configurations, so bug testing is far, far easier. Microsoft and Linux are developing for thousands, possibly millions of hardware configurations. Apple only has to develop for two or three at a time. The hardware isn't any better.

Macbooks stop working too. My sister's started glitching at around five years, and she had to go to the Apple store multiple times to have her CD drive fixed.

Macs are PCs. PC means personal computer, and your mac is a personal computer.

Don't get me wrong, Apple makes gorgeous products. They have great designs, and very nice software development. They also have a marketing department that makes mind control look ineffective. But you get what you pay for. If you pay for a premium Windows computer, you will get a premium computer too. Apple just doesn't sell below premium.
This. I bought a Macbook in 2007 for $1600. Screen died a little over 3 years after I bought it. I was so soured on my experience, I swore I would never buy a Macbook again. Replaced it with a junky Asus for $475, which 4.5 years later is still running strong. I purchased a second laptop for work, a Samsung Series 9 (ultrathin) with a 15" screen which has been running strong for 3.5 years now. My wife and son have Macbooks, and every time I use them, I get disgusted with the interface and the trackpad.

The Apple fanboys pissing on Windows machines gets tiresome. Maybe the problem is with Dell, Gateway, and HP. I would buy a Samsung again over a Macbook. Asus and Lenovo make solid laptops.

I've used both Mac and PC for many years. I must be up front and state that my parents opened an Apple Authorized Dealership in 1980 and had 8 stores until they sold the business. And, my brother currently has his own dealership (exclusively Apple) running since 1987. So, I might seem Apple biased...because I am.

I currently have three MacBook Pros (Age 8yrs, 6yrs and

Originally posted by RobertG:
Leonard,

Tell us a little more on how you plan to use it? Primarily working at a desk, traveling, sitting on a coach? For business: Emails, Word, Excel? All of the above?

This will be more for personal use. I am in sales, so no major need for video editing or photo editing. I do work on presentations and proposals with photoshop, etc. so I would need that. iMovie and Final Cut as well for video.

Not into gaming.

I have an ipad 2 which I have used for a few years to replace my laptop, but now looking to have a lap top as well. I do not travel for my job.

I would mainly use this at home, but also at work sometimes or at meetings (rarely, but possible).

E-mails yes, word yes, excel, yes. Pretty much any type of business app. Desk and couch yes.

I have always had a PC. Just seems like majority have Macs now. This summer I hired 10 interns, all 10 had apple products like a Mac....thought maybe I was getting too old (I'm 29)

Leonard,

This will be more for personal use. I am in sales, so no major need for video editing or photo editing. I do work on presentations and proposals with photoshop, etc. so I would need that. iMovie and Final Cut as well for video.

Not into gaming.

I have an ipad 2 which I have used for a few years to replace my laptop, but now looking to have a lap top as well. I do not travel for my job.

I would mainly use this at home, but also at work sometimes or at meetings (rarely, but possible).

E-mails yes, word yes, excel, yes. Pretty much any type of business app. Desk and couch yes.

I have always had a PC. Just seems like majority have Macs now. This summer I hired 10 interns, all 10 had apple products like a Mac....thought maybe I was getting too old (I'm 29)
At least according to http://netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0, Macs are less than 10% of the world market. Majority having macs probably just went by the demographic you hired. From a very, very informal test where I'm sitting, (A student center) I can see four macs. five non-apple computers.

My advice? Go try out a Mac in an apple store, ignore their sales pitch, but let them show you around the operating system. Then go to a Microsoft Store and try a few similarly priced Windows Computers, do the same thing if you're not used to 8.1. Hands on experience is better than any backseat advice.

Leonard,

Not into gaming.

At least according to http://netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0, Macs are less than 10% of the world market. Majority having macs probably just went by the demographic you hired. From a very, very informal test where I'm sitting, (A student center) I can see four macs. five non-apple computers.

My advice? Go try out a Mac in an apple store, ignore their sales pitch, but let them show you around the operating system. Then go to a Microsoft Store and try a few similarly priced Windows Computers, do the same thing if you're not used to 8.1. Hands on experience is better than any backseat advice.
Well he wasn't just on some random place on earth, right? He was in the US, likely in NJ where people have income and can pay for the price differential between Apple and Window-based computers, whether it is justified or not. Either way, I fail to understand why people care what type of computers/phones/cars/etc that others use.

Leonard, if you don't have Photoshop provided to you by your work, I suggest trying Pixelmator. It's a nice standalone app that is way cheaper than Photoshop. If what you need is for photography and not hard-core image creation, I'd check out Adobe Lightroom. I use it for 98% of image work now - it's a fantastic workflow manager than does the vast majority of image editing that I need (just not things like poster creation, collages, etc).

I am a long-time Mac guy, but this is the advice I would give to anyone. Some people like Windows better than the Mac OS. I don't know why they would (
wink.r191677.gif
), but my opinion on what you'll like is useless.

My personal experience, from having PCs at work and Macs at home, is that Windows is still something of a kludge after all these years, while the Mac OS experience, particularly with OS X, started off better and has improved steadily. But that's just my opinion, so go check them out and decide.

As an aside, I do think that people who are talking about hardware need to distinguish between specs and the quality of the design (and I don't mean just the aesthetics). The laptop in my office is a disaster, with ports in strange places and cheap plastic parts, not to mention how much it weighs for the performance you get. Macs just generally feel more solid to me, with better thinking about how to arrange things to maximize functionality and a lot of thinking about maximizing use of space - the latest MacBook is probably about 2/3 battery, partly because the batteries are designed to fill the case, rather than just being rectangles that leave space between them.

I am thinking about the 13 inch Macbook Air. This is just for everyday personal and business use, with average video and photo editing. Music on there too obviously. Nothing crazy, but I want it to perform. One Apple Rep said 4GB of Ram and 128 GB of storage is perfect for what I need, but another guy is suggesting upgrading the processor and also going to 8GB of ram. $100 difference, must be worth it

Have you thought about the Dell xps 13? Just released and has received amazing reviews from basically every tech site there is. Just as thin and light as the MBA and has a better screen for a lot less money.

Leonard,

Tell us a little more on how you plan to use it? Primarily working at a desk, traveling, sitting on a [/B]coach[/B]? For business: Emails, Word, Excel? All of the above?

I don't think Coach Kyle Flood approves of this intended usage.

This post was edited on 3/13 12:57 PM by Veiox

Originally posted by jcg878:

Leonard,

Not into gaming.

Well he wasn't just on some random place on earth, right? He was in the US, likely in NJ where people have income and can pay for the price differential between Apple and Window-based computers, whether it is justified or not. Either way, I fail to understand why people care what type of computers/phones/cars/etc that others use.

Leonard, if you don't have Photoshop provided to you by your work, I suggest trying Pixelmator. It's a nice standalone app that is way cheaper than Photoshop. If what you need is for photography and not hard-core image creation, I'd check out Adobe Lightroom. I use it for 98% of image work now - it's a fantastic workflow manager than does the vast majority of image editing that I need (just not things like poster creation, collages, etc).
The guy came here looking for advice. The advice that Macs are overpriced and that your are buying the label as much as the computer is certainly a legitimate starting point.

Thoughts on this?
If you want a Mac, I think you would be happy with that. An i7 chip with 8GB and a 500GB SSD sounds like a keeper for years to come.

If you want a Mac and also want to upgrade your tickets, here is another option:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-macbook-air-13-3-display-intel-core-i5-4gb-memory-128gb-flash-storage-silver/2712009.p?id=1219076158205&skuId=2712009&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=2712009&extensionType=pla_multichannel:g&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!!!87068227399!g!!52787244439&kpid=2712009&k_clickid=2139e17e-c86b-4fe9-3335-00007394b36b&kpid=2712009&lsft=ref:212,loc:1&ksid=2139e17e-c86b-4fe9-3335-00007394b36b&ksprof_id=8&ksaffcode=pg3499&ksdevice=c

If you got everything done with your ipad - remember you can add a Mac bluetooth keyboard and do even more. An iPad screen to a non-touch screen 13" is not a huge leap. Given how cheap digitizes are compared to Macbook prices, its somewhat surprising that Apple has not gone down that road as an option yet.

My kid wants a 15" Macbook, and it kills me to spend 1500+ for something that has the horespower of something I can get in the PC world for closer to $500, I keep thinking its a an open discussion, but if she pulls in some decent grades I think I'm done.

nothing you 'need' to have asap, but most (all?) the newer macbook's come without DVD drives, so if that is something you plan to use, remember to buy the external drive (I think it's about $75?)

"I am thinking about the 13 inch Macbook Air. This is just
for everyday personal and business use, with average video and photo
editing. Music on there too obviously. Nothing crazy, but I want it to
perform. One Apple Rep said 4GB of Ram and 128 GB of storage is perfect
for what I need, but another guy is suggesting upgrading the processor
and also going to 8GB of ram. $100 difference, must be worth it"

If you aren't in a rush, Intel is getting ready to release Skylake processors after the summer (at least for PCs). I know the "next big chip" is always looming but Skylake is called biggest upgrade in 10 years.

"Intel is expecting big graphics performance improvements, longer laptop battery life, and better CPU performance with the new chips. Skylake will also allow users to wirelessly charge laptops, connect to monitors, and transfer data to peripherals.

"When I look at the range of what Skylake's able to deliver from the Core M level all up to the i7 and Xeon, it's just going to be a fantastic product," said Intel CEO Brian Krzanich"

I also like IPS panels (MacBook Pro) and despise TNs (MB AIr). IPS are so cheap now that I wouldn't go with out one (much better colors, angles etc) . In 2008 a 20" NEC IPS display cost me $725. This week I got a HP tablet with IPS and flash drive for $79 on sale lol.

On the flips side, people waiting for new tech should mean some good sales on the current stuff

Skylake chips for tablets, PCs, servers

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT