ADVERTISEMENT

Mag gets rated on TOS

Thanks for sharing. He has the frame and in the little video that exists, he has good hands and is assertive. Mag and Reiber will be solid contributors and Palmquist is a total x-factor.

Mag missed all of his junior year and the summer evaluation period with injury. He will be getting a lot of attention this year as more schools see him (IMO). At this point in the season two years ago Harper was a 2* who was on his way to becoming a 4*.

Haven’t seen or read much on Rieber, but a bunch of folks who have recently seen both Mag and Palmquist indicate RU got two potentially very good players. Time will tell.

Dean Reiber’s team, Northwest Guilford plays its first game this coming Tuesday, the 26th.

Mag missed all of his junior year and the summer evaluation period with injury. He will be getting a lot of attention this year as more schools see him (IMO). At this point in the season two years ago Harper was a 2* who was on his way to becoming a 4*.

Haven’t seen or read much on Rieber, but a bunch of folks who have recently seen both Mag and Palmquist indicate RU got two potentially very good players. Time will tell.
Just my opinion but the 2018 class was top heavy. Harper was ranked No. 136 in our final rankings for his class. Rivals doesn't normally go that deep with four-star guys.

I still think 100 should be the four-star cut off but I don't make those decisions.

If he’s a 4 star by the end of the season great. But we need to be pulling in 2 or more a year.

No one outside of the blue bloods does this.
There are schools that are not blue bloods that pull in 2 four-star prospects a year. Some seasons when they have a small class they might land a five-star and a three-star which is basically like getting two four-star kids.

No one outside of the blue bloods does this.

Illinois, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan State, and Minnesota all have two 4* prospects. Plus Michigan has a 4* and a 5*.

Ohio State and Maryland have gotten at least two 4*s in each of the last three years. The only reason they don't this year is because they don't have the open scholarships.

That's 9 teams.

Maybe they're not doing it every single year but it's more common than you make it seem.

Illinois, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan State, and Minnesota all have two 4* prospects. Plus Michigan has a 4* and a 5*.

Ohio State and Maryland have gotten at least two 4*s in each of the last three years. The only reason they don't this year is because they don't have the open scholarships.

That's 9 teams.

Maybe they're not doing it every single year but it's more common than you make it seem.

The poster said 2 or more every year...I've already checked it....it's 10 to 15% of the major programs (80 or so) that are in that class....in the B1G, it is typically Indiana Michigan, MSU, OSU and Maryland that are usually getting 2 or more per class.....whether fans consider this group blue bloods or not it up for debate, but historically they're usually ranked most years in the polls or Top 25.

Just my opinion but the 2018 class was top heavy. Harper was ranked No. 136 in our final rankings for his class. Rivals doesn't normally go that deep with four-star guys.

I still think 100 should be the four-star cut off but I don't make those decisions.
Russ do you give a number rank or a star rank too? I would think I would want to be able to rank a 4 star a 4 star and not have a limit. Have my own personal cut off where some years there might be more and some less.

Also, do you consider yourself a tough ranker or an easy ranker? Or more in the middle?

Appreciate your insights!

Steve got Montez and Ron in the same class.

Duh....that's one class....your statement is 2 or more in every class...that's not typical of 80 to 85% of programs....asking a program that hasn't historically done that, is not realistic IMO.

#211 and 88.5. Very solid rating making some of the recent posters look foolish

I don’t think people are criticizing Mag per se. They are criticizing this year’s recruiting class overall because at No. 211 Mag is the highest ranked recruit in the class. In prior years Pike has gotten several players in the top 140, such as Harper, Mathis, Mulcahy and Jacob Young.

247 Sports has Mag at #222. They’re moved our 2020 recruiting class up to 10th in the B1G with his commitment.

Duh....that's one class....your statement is 2 or more in every class...that's not typical of 80 to 85% of programs....asking a program that hasn't historically done that, is not realistic IMO.
It’s on average. You need 8 top 100 players on the roster at any given time. That’s what you need in this conference if you want to go to the tournament. Bottom line.

It’s on average. You need 8 top 100 players on the roster at any given time. That’s what you need in this conference if you want to go to the tournament. Bottom line.

There's no data supporting this anywhere. It's an opinion. And Top 100 kids turn out to not be Top 100 kids all the time....sometimes very good to great, sometimes not so much.

There's less than 15 programs who can have 8 Top 100 kids on their roster.....maybe Top 200, not 100...150 would be a good cutoff but once you get above 125, you are going to 3 star territory

The reality is right now on 11/24/2019 there is only 1 guy on this entire roster that has the look of a B1G starter. He was redshirted and was drawn here because of academics.

I look at the 8 Ivy League schools and there is competitive basketball being played and these guys ger zero scholarships and obviously dont get paid.

Big risk and just a thought.....why not tailor your program around acadmics. Forget the stupid rankings and go after kids that want to come here for academics. Have at least 2/3 of your student athletes like Myles Johnson. When kids come on official visits they see all athletes putting emphasis on school AND you play in the B1G.

I am sure this isn't feasible, but I am tired of watching guys that are supposed to be good and have 3 or 4 stars and just look completely out of place in a half court offense.

Reactions: BillyC80
As fans we like discussing recruits and how they will impact Rutgers performance in the B1G.Such discussion provides a wide variety of opinions pro and con.I look at recruiting as a bottom line approach as in each year their impact on the won/loss record.In other words where are the difference makers that will move losses to wins ?In Rutgers case the process has been very slow in attracting go to scorers that can carry the team to victory in grind out league games especially on the road.The upcoming B1G schedule will tell us if 7 wins was a aberration or actually a sign of meaningful progress.

Reactions: bac2therac
The reality is right now on 11/24/2019 there is only 1 guy on this entire roster that has the look of a B1G starter. He was redshirted and was drawn here because of academics.

I look at the 8 Ivy League schools and there is competitive basketball being played and these guys ger zero scholarships and obviously dont get paid.

Big risk and just a thought.....why not tailor your program around acadmics. Forget the stupid rankings and go after kids that want to come here for academics. Have at least 2/3 of your student athletes like Myles Johnson. When kids come on official visits they see all athletes putting emphasis on school AND you play in the B1G.

I am sure this isn't feasible, but I am tired of watching guys that are supposed to be good and have 3 or 4 stars and just look completely out of place in a half court offense.

This is what Stanford football does. Much tougher sell for a state school.

There are can’t miss players that are your 5

Tell that to Wisconsin, Purdue, and Iowa. Not sure they’re aware of your formula.

ADVERTISEMENT