ADVERTISEMENT

Maishe Dailey to Iowa

Status
Not open for further replies.

RU-Choppin-Ohio

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2011
The guy most people here did not want for Rutgers because he was not good enough and a bad recruit by the previous.

HS coach Miller let college coaches know that Dailey was back on the market and one of those e-mails was to the Iowa coaching staff. Miller heard back from Iowa assistant Sherman Dillard, who eventually made his way to Beachwood High School.

We could have used his length and long arms at guard....6'6"

Last edited:
This is too bad. I liked his game also. Many people were critical of our going after him. I think we could have used his length as well.

Reactions: RUMountie
This is a situation where the results on the court essentially got pushed onto the recruiting trail as if the prior staff didn't assess player talent....clearly that wasn't the case and a lot of recruiting "wins" are strictly based on who offered and who we beat out for the talent as the factor most fans look at.

Since Iowa lands the kid, it does beg the question on whether he can actually help a roster next year and whether he was capable of being a compliment to Laurent at the SF position. We also had the same comments about Laurent last spring and he turned out to be one the positives we had this past season.

It still comes down to Thiam, a 5th year and perhaps the fastest way to find another lead guard for 2017 class. We will have Sanders with next level goals and Johnson and Williams with 2 years left. It's essential we land a bonafide guard to help in 2017 more than a wing shooter like Dailey could have been for RU.

Reactions: Plum Street
This is a situation where the results on the court essentially got pushed onto the recruiting trail as if the prior staff didn't assess player talent....clearly that wasn't the case and a lot of recruiting "wins" are strictly based on who offered and who we beat out for the talent as the factor most fans look at.

Since Iowa lands the kid, it does beg the question on whether he can actually help a roster next year and whether he was capable of being a compliment to Laurent at the SF position. We also had the same comments about Laurent last spring and he turned out to be one the positives we had this past season.

It still comes down to Thiam, a 5th year and perhaps the fastest way to find another lead guard for 2017 class. We will have Sanders with next level goals and Johnson and Williams with 2 years left. It's essential we land a bonafide guard to help in 2017 more than a wing shooter like Dailey could have been for RU.

We also heard comments about Thiam.

The guy most people here did not want for Rutgers because he was not good enough and a bad recruit by the previous.

HS coach Miller let college coaches know that Dailey was back on the market and one of those e-mails was to the Iowa coaching staff. Miller heard back from Iowa assistant Sherman Dillard, who eventually made his way to Beachwood High School.

We could have used his length and long arms at guard....6'6"

When I read that Wisconsin was interested in this player that is when I thought he is good.

I never said he deserved to come back. I said we would be better off firing him next season. But continue with your narrative. i am done arguing with you on that. doesn't change the fact that you have zero knowledge of the game.

When I read that Wisconsin was interested in this player that is when I thought he is good.
Wisconsin was interested in him for 2017 if he took a prep year, like several other B1G teams were.

The new Rutgers staff didn't really pursue Dailey, at least that's what one of his people told me.

"He is not ready to contribute as a freshmen. Needs a redshirt year. Doesn't handle well, weak, and not tough or aggressive yet. Does shot ball well, smart, very good passer. He's two/three yes away from being a factor."

That's a text I got from someone close to Dailey.

Makes him the norm for D-1 basketball freshman.
The only problem with redshirting is that if the kid eventually decides to transfer (like so many do), his five year clock to play four has already begun and he's already used a redshirt season. BUT if the kid is really committed to the school and sticks it out, it can really benefit the player and the program. The kid gets a full season of strength and conditioning, participates in workouts and practice (scout team). Gets to sit on the bench during home games and gets acclimated to being a college student.

Dailey has wanted to play in the B1G so if he does commit to Iowa it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Point still is our fans were not happy when he committed and is going to big Ten team anyway.

My thoughts on recruiting are decidedly old school------when in doubt take a shooter or a project big man.

That's what schollies 10 , 11 and 12 are for.

Reactions: RUMountie
If the one game film that was posted (1 is a small sample and he could have been tired or under the weather or just not feeling it) is indicative of what he is I'll stand by my original comments.

Perhaps Fran & Co. somewhere see a little Peter Jok in him and are taking a stab late in the game.

It appears to me that we have a coach that is defense 1st :smiley:. This is not the type of player that fits. At least not now.

Rick ,Can you identify the 5 % who do?
I haven't really kept a running log. The reality is everyone who posts here is probably a great fan and that is what matters most. However, you can start writing off posters when you read things like;

Laurent's game is comparable to Rodman's.
Laurent has TERRIBLE form on his jumper.
Anyone who says Doorson and Diallo are not big ten players and say it like it already a given. These people lack the understanding that most big men make huge leaps (including Jack) their junior and senior seasons.
My all time favorite. "Anyone can play defense, it has nothing to do with talent. It is just about effort." That person never played or coached the game above a middle school level.

I haven't really kept a running log. The reality is everyone who posts here is probably a great fan and that is what matters most. However, you can start writing off posters when you read things like;

Laurent's game is comparable to Rodman's.
Laurent has TERRIBLE form on his jumper.
Anyone who says Doorson and Diallo are not big ten players and say it like it already a given. These people lack the understanding that most big men make huge leaps (including Jack) their junior and senior seasons.
My all time favorite. "Anyone can play defense, it has nothing to do with talent. It is just about effort." That person never played or coached the game above a middle school level.
Rick, if you want informed and insightful analysis you have come to the wrong place. This is the place for completely non-analytical repetitive rants.

Wisconsin was interested in him for 2017 if he took a prep year, like several other B1G teams were.

The new Rutgers staff didn't really pursue Dailey, at least that's what one of his people told me.

"He is not ready to contribute as a freshmen. Needs a redshirt year. Doesn't handle well, weak, and not tough or aggressive yet. Does shot ball well, smart, very good passer. He's two/three yes away from being a factor."

That's a text I got from someone close to Dailey.

Thanks Russ......I read that scouting report and immediately thought of Justin Goode.

Last year there were over 700 D-1 transfers and this year it's already over 500. Look, P5 coaches need to fill rosters in the spring. Iowa needed a stocking stuffer? Great chance for Dailey. But, wake me up when he transfers to IUPUI or Northern Kentucky in a year or two.

Go back and look at his actual offers (not interest, not if he prepped a year) when he verballed to Rutgers. The quality of pre-November offers is still the best criteria for high school kids and, yes, I know that indicts Bullock. Are there late bloomers? Sure. But most of the spring offers are by staffs scrambling to fill vacancies caused by the roster churn.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Lol, spin it any way you want

Last year there were over 700 D-1 transfers and this year it's already over 500. Look, P5 coaches need to fill rosters in the spring. Iowa needed a stocking stuffer? Great chance for Dailey. But, wake me up when he transfers to IUPUI or Northern Kentucky in a year or two.

Go back and look at his actual offers (not interest, not if he prepped a year) when he verballed to Rutgers. The quality of pre-November offers is still the best criteria for high school kids and, yes, I know that indicts Bullock. Are there late bloomers? Sure. But most of the spring offers are by staffs scrambling to fill vacancies caused by the roster churn.

not sure if we should read into this that Pikell and staff not only want tough, D-minded players, but guys who have a reasonable chance of contributing right away--I remember either during his intro press conf or shortly thereafter that he felt he could (or needed to) win quickly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT