ADVERTISEMENT

Major changes in the works for college Avenue, several buildings to be demolished and a state of the art large student center to be built

She should know. She is the Vice Chancellor for Enrollment. I don’t know where the money is coming from with corona causing tens of millions in losses at RU this year. Unless this can be squeezed in under some corona economic recovery package. Maybe we can find a way to use some for a real baseball and softball stadium too lol

Not sure who the lady in the twitter profile pic is but Courtney, I'm pretty sure, uses the male pronouns.
But who knows these days?
preview.jpg

Last edited:
Craig, I wasn’t told which ones are being renovated or where the new ones will be. The person who told me is fairly high up in student services so they would know.

Reactions: Scarlet Craig
Not sure who the lady in the twitter profile pic is but Courtney, I'm pretty sure, uses the male pronouns.
But who knows these days?
preview.jpg
Indeed, he has been the head of enrollment management at RU for many years running.

I caught the first couple words of the tweet in the OP and thought to myself, maybe that can be used to describe Schiano's defense....Scarlet Wall would be among a few great nicknames.

As far as this new facility, wasn't the old ASB on Busch kind of a one-stop already for most of those student administrative matters?

Reactions: MidwestKnights
RUinTex, I think this is going to be EVERYTHING in one spot. Should make it easier for students and parents. I think this is somewhere between the new School of Pharmacy addition and the new School of Engineering building.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
RUinTex, I think this is going to be EVERYTHING in one spot. Should make it easier for students and parents.
Sounds good. I can't quite remember anymore which admin functions were partially "centralized" before (or not) and which might have been a convenience provided by Rutgers away from Busch, only to then have to complete a final step or two at ASB on Busch. If the latter, I'm not sure the infrastructure was there to have a decentralized admin setup of A-to-Z on each of the 4 subcampuses. Some would complain that's bureaucratic redundancy, another Rutgers specialty, lol.

This is a very interesting proposal and I look forward to following the developments.

Yes. I'm hoping something will come out of this beyond the speculative drawings we've seen in the past for several iterations of the new and improved College Ave.
At this point we haven't seen much success that was not strongly pushed by DEVCO.
I'm not complaining about DEVCO and hope they remain engaged. But I do wonder if the U. can do something big on CAC without them?
I'm less concerned about the details, than maintaining some momentum.
Just my observations, and hopes, from afar.

Visited college Ave for the first time in a few years last month and it is totally hideous. The line of white poles dividing the bike lane from the car lane is ghastly.

interesting, most people think the addition of The Yard has been a dramatic improvement, but perhaps they didn’t focus enough on the white poles
The yard is what it is. A modern attempt to recreate the feel of a quad. I find it a monstrosity but that's just one lot compared to an entire half mile of white poles down the middle of the road. Was there a rash of car-bike crashes that prompted this?

Reactions: bac2therac
Elmira, I think The Yard is fine, but I would put many other projects ahead of it in the last 20 years. To me, the biggies are the UMDNJ merger and the Honors College. Others would be getting in the Big Ten, everything at the Livingston Campus ( new dorms, new dining hall and The Rutgers Club, New Business School Building, RWJ Barnabas Center), New Engineering building, New Chemistry building, new dorms at Busch, Rutgers theaters at the New Brunswick Performing Arts Center, and the Rodkin Center. The Yard and other new buildings on College Avenue have helped improve that campus, that’s for sure.

Elmira, I think The Yard is fine, but I would put many other projects ahead of it in the last 20 years. To me, the biggies are the UMDNJ merger and the Honors College. Others would be getting in the Big Ten, everything at the Livingston Campus ( new dorms, new dining hall and The Rutgers Club, New Business School Building, RWJ Barnabas Center), New Engineering building, New Chemistry building, new dorms at Busch, Rutgers theaters at the New Brunswick Performing Arts Center, and the Rodkin Center. The Yard and other new buildings on College Avenue have helped improve that campus, that’s for sure.
Some excellent points. I was thinking the best thing architecturally or visually, but admittedly I wasn’t thinking about Livingston. That has been an amazing and impressive transformation. I also drove past the new Chemistry building yesterday. I don’t know anything about that department or why the building is needed or how it will be used, but it is also an impressive building.

Some excellent points. I was thinking the best thing architecturally or visually, but admittedly I wasn’t thinking about Livingston. That has been an amazing and impressive transformation. I also drove past the new Chemistry building yesterday. I don’t know anything about that department or why the building is needed or how it will be used, but it is also an impressive building.
Architecturally, the Yard is rather meh. From an overall "add to the campus" perspective, it's a massive plus to campus life and a vibrant college ave. The new buildings on Busch are fantastic.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan and 17Q66
When I was back for the Mich St game I noticed Records Hall has construction fencing all around it, and has spray paint on the inside seemingly indicating where walls are to be taken down. It looks like only a matter of time until that building is a pile of rubble. From there though, when do they start taking down Bower and surrounding buildings to get to the beautiful new quad?

When I was back for the Mich St game I noticed Records Hall has construction fencing all around it, and has spray paint on the inside seemingly indicating where walls are to be taken down. It looks like only a matter of time until that building is a pile of rubble. From there though, when do they start taking down Bower and surrounding buildings to get to the beautiful new quad?
Hopefully they'll start construction on that no later than summer of 2022. Records Hall sounds like it'll be demolished any day now, hopefully the smokestack will come down immediately afterwards.

Fantastic, I wonder if Devco is involved with this one too (which to me would be a good thing).

Hopefully they'll start construction on that no later than summer of 2022. Records Hall sounds like it'll be demolished any day now, hopefully the smokestack will come down immediately afterwards.
If Rutgers doesn’t do one other thing for the next 50 years, take down that smokestack !

This is an old article but I guess the Records Hall work is the start of this...let's hope!

I also stalking the Rutgers "Status of Significant Projects" site but not mention of this yet.

This seems to have stalled out and been delayed. Anyone know when this demo and new construction will start?

Visited college Ave for the first time in a few years last month and it is totally hideous. The line of white poles dividing the bike lane from the car lane is ghastly.

Are you the guy that doesnt like beautiful women if they have a mole? 😉

PS- short of making college ave a combo of pedestrian and a bus lane only, the white poles aren’t a bad compromise.

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
Are you the guy that doesnt like beautiful women if they have a mole? 😉

PS- short of making college ave a combo of pedestrian and a bus lane only, the white poles aren’t a bad compromise.
Eh; they did majorly screw up when they made the changes. The bus lane is too narrow for a bus, so it doesn't actually do anything. And the bike lane is not heavily utilized. That said, the white poles aren't an issue.

brand new quad, student center, dining hall and academic buildings on the site of Brower and records hall … can’t wait for this project to get moving

Screen-Shot-2017-11-06-at-3.55.07-PM.png
Any update on status of the project? I see a fence around Records Hall and the Annex has been torn down. No mention of project in Rutgers’ status of significant project’s last report in late 2021

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonard23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT