ADVERTISEMENT

Mamadou

zebnatto

All Conference
May 7, 2008
(Okay, I’m bored.)

What do you think is Mamadou’s ceiling? He came in very young, showed a lot early (I thouhjt) against lesser competition, really struggled (more than I expected he would) against BIG competition. What do you see for him this year and down the road?

Reactions: higgins3
He was a young freshman. Interested to see how he progresses.

He was a late addition last year, didn’t get the summer workouts or coaching.

I am hoping for a jump up in performance this season.

Reactions: dkostus
I think the foul calls were a huge hindrance. His strength is strength and he was afraid to use it,

This was huge. He could never get into the rhythm of the game because he was on the bench with 2 fouls a few minutes into every game. He has to learn to defend without fouling.

I think the staff is going to be able to coach him to be a double double type player. This is a perfect example of raw talent that could be developed into a good player.

Mamma don't foul
Mamma do bound
Mamma dont jump
Mamma do ground
Mamma don't moan
Mamma do move
Mamma dont quit
Mamma do prove
Momma dont eat
Mamma do run
Mamma don't fret
Mamma do fun

He was pretty raw as a frosh. I don’t know what his ceiling is but he’s got a long way to go. It’s not very encouraging that there’s so little talk about him this off season.

He showed more than a lot of people seem to give him credit for IMO. Easy to see him being a good player. Nice touch and rotation on his shot too

Not sure how much talk is supposed to happen in July/August...if we are going to be 100% accurate, he officially reclassified around this time last year and should be a 2018 recruit.

He had flashes in the short time between August and December but the speed of the game and his aggressiveness worked against him. Given how long we had to wait for Shaq Doorson to find himself healthy enough to get in shape and how much progress he made from 2017 to 2018, I'd like to think Doucoure will be fine.

The one thing when watching the open practice was how much he was able to move his feet on defense...the next step is to trust his legs and footwork and avoid using his hands on defense. The other bigs like Shaq Carter and Eugene will also help in workouts to improve Doucoure.

It sounds crazy but i think 20 B1G games, Miami, Seton Hall, St John's, will be more traditional matchups for Doucoure. I think the Central Connecticut and Hartford Stony Brooks that play small lineups, dont help our bigs...i think Carter and Doucoure need to provide 20 rebounds per game and limit offensive rebounds...if they do that, RU will be in place to improve.

It was a little concerning that Jerry Carino didn't mention Mamadou in the last RU podcast. Jerry indicated the once again big improvement of Eugene +Kiss,Geo and others after hearing the buzz about the team and watching the team go through drills. The foul issues last year hopefully will be corrected but it may be guys like Shaq and Myles may have passed him by for the 5 spot.

He was a late addition last year, didn’t get the summer workouts or coaching.

I am hoping for a jump up in performance this season.
THIS ^^^

How young was he last August when he arrived on campus? Does anyone know?

Reactions: AD888
Skill matters, not age. I don’t get the logic of reclassifying out of hs. If you are to do that, a redshirt might be better to do. If he is good from 14, start taking threes. A jump shot is already your range on the floor as a traditional big, and it doesn’t expand the spacing that much. It does pull rebounds away from the area.he seems like a great kid. Well see what he can do. The staff kept playing him early in games and I didn’t think that helped him. Let’s go, Mamadou!

Reactions: ruready07
Not sure how much talk is supposed to happen in July/August...if we are going to be 100% accurate, he officially reclassified around this time last year and should be a 2018 recruit.

Didn't he re-reclassify this time last year? I thought he was originally a 2017 recruit who had reclassed to 2018... then reclassed back again.

Btw, @zebnatto back in June 2017, someone who watched Mamadou a few times posted the following about him in this forum:

He looks like the type of big who will provide depth as a freshman and may have a good game or two in OOC play. His sophomore year could be where he makes a big jump.

He had some other things to say about him too. Here's a link to that post

Btw, @zebnatto back in June 2017, someone who watched Mamadou a few times posted the following about him in this forum:

He looks like the type of big who will provide depth as a freshman and may have a good game or two in OOC play. His sophomore year could be where he makes a big jump.

He had some other things to say about him too. Here's a link to that post
I hope "he" is right.

Reactions: Russ Wood
I really wish we did not use him and he was a true frosh

While this is a good thing that he gets to this level, I’m Pretty sure we are gojng to be sorry later on he doesn’t have that year

I think we have to be honest here.....yes he is raw and big men take time, BUT the big issue is he is undersized. I don’t see him growing 3-4 inches.

Rebounding on offense and defense, staying out of foul trouble and hitting your FTs are the most important areas of improvement for Doucoure. I think it was huge that he now has one year under his belt so he now realizes what it takes to match up with guys in the Big 10. I thought his mid range jumper was going to be very good after watching him early on but it was very inconsistent. I think there are better shots on the floor and especially now; I hope he doesn’t waste possessions? I don’t think we need him to put up a lot of points and I hope he realizes that? Get offensive boards for put backs, rebound like a monster and knock down the free throws and he’s a nice contributor.

Love his short jumper. Cut down on fouls, be more aggressive rebounding and taking it to the hoop.

I'd sign for season avg of 10-10 right now. can only do it if he's on the floor

Reactions: satnom
Who wouldn’t sign for that lol
Lol for real. Mamadou seems like a very nice kid. I don’t see ten and ten happening . More like 6 and 5.I also don’t agree with reclassifying classes in cases like his. If one does, take a redshirt.

Lol for real. Mamadou seems like a very nice kid. I don’t see ten and ten happening . More like 6 and 5.I also don’t agree with reclassifying classes in cases like his. If one does, take a redshirt.
The kid got some on the job training and he'll help us more in the next few years as a result. I get what you're saying... but we're not a team with the luxury of redshirting two separate big men (Myles also) and if he didn't reclassify Myles wouldn't have been able to and Mamadou would have been less prepared this coming season.

Same as Thiam and Eugene the year before... Pike has said in an ideal world they both would have red shirted but he needed bodies.

I really wish we did not use him and he was a true frosh

While this is a good thing that he gets to this level, I’m Pretty sure we are gojng to be sorry later on he doesn’t have that year

Can’t we just forget about it and not dwell on the past? If we build a real program then we will have a proper developing roster - no worries .

Very few guys average 10 and 10. Also we have Myles Johnson and Shaq Doorson who also will be playing center and probably Shaq Carter as well. One of them will have to play PF at times as well. I don't even know if any of them might play 20 minutes per game. They should all be getting minutes. I am hoping that one of them will step up and really take charge. I just hope the team can gel together and show some real improvement and that everyone remains healthy. We only have 12 on scholarship and Jacob Young will be sitting out as a transfer thus we only have 11 scholarship players who will be playing.

Very few guys average 10 and 10. Also we have Myles Johnson and Shaq Doorson who also will be playing center and probably Shaq Carter as well. One of them will have to play PF at times as well. I don't even know if any of them might play 20 minutes per game. They should all be getting minutes. I am hoping that one of them will step up and really take charge. I just hope the team can gel together and show some real improvement and that everyone remains healthy. We only have 12 on scholarship and Jacob Young will be sitting out as a transfer thus we only have 11 scholarship players who will be playing.
The one thing I noticed is that he did not seem to be a guy who got off his feet quickly not an explosive jumper this to me is where I think we see a BIG improvement with an off season of strength and conditioning.
Ps I think his foul line jumper can be a great weapon!!

He fouled alot because he got beat alot. Hopefully, last year was a learning experience for him and Coach Young can help him with his defensive positioning and footwork. Also, would like him more aggressive on offense...he does have a nice jumper and the Big Ten frame to compete. We definitely need an uptick in our inside scoring next year.

Hamady N'Diaye (Frosh): 13.3 mpg/2.7ppg/2.9rpg
Hamady N'Diaye (Soph): 22.7 mpg/5.2ppg/5.9rpg

Mamadou Doucoure (Frosh): 13.1 mpg/2.8ppg/3.2rpg

Reactions: TODDB33
Hamady N'Diaye (Frosh): 13.3 mpg/2.7ppg/2.9rpg
Hamady N'Diaye (Soph): 22.7 mpg/5.2ppg/5.9rpg

Mamadou Doucoure (Frosh): 13.1 mpg/2.8ppg/3.2rpg

Really hope that Doucoure can take off like N'Diaye did later in his career. Granted, Duke is only 6-9 to Hamady's 7-0, so it's tough to really compare them.

From a shot blocking perspective I agree, but just in watching Duke vs. Hamady he seems to be able to or has at this point a better mid range shot than H did. What H did have however was some post moves, which Duke has not really shown at this point.

I would sign up for a 5& 5,6&5 night out of him with some solid D considering as one poster mentioned above the rotation of bodies between him, Shaq, Myles & Carter plus at times probably Eugene at the 4.

ADVERTISEMENT