ADVERTISEMENT

Maori Davenport lands at Georgia

Didn't they get clobbered by Georgia Tech early in the season, shortly before RU knocked off GT?

Georgia used to be a fairly frequent rival of the RU women. I recall them being coached for many years by a male (can't recall his name) who seemed to run a consistently decent program. They were often among our better OOC contests, often when we weren't playing LSU.

Didn't they get clobbered by Georgia Tech early in the season, shortly before RU knocked off GT?

Georgia used to be a fairly frequent rival of the RU women. I recall them being coached for many years by a male (can't recall his name) who seemed to run a consistently decent program. They were often among our better OOC contests, often when we weren't playing LSU.
Andy Landers. Now an ESPN analyst

Reactions: RUJMM78 and ecojew
Maori made her choice and I hope she earns her degree and is happy with her choice.
The way her HS basketball career ended, I can't wish her anything else.
I'll wish her the the best academically and hope she earns her degree so that it helps her succeed in life outside of the basketball world.
As for her basketball career, hope she has an injury free one but will defer to Georgia fans when it comes to Davenport having a successful run as a Bulldog.

Makes sense...a good landing spot for her. She won't have pressure to live up to top-15 ranking right away. They have a solid center in Jenna Staiti (sr). Maori can use the time to develop and then step into that spot. When she finally puts it together, she will be a difference maker.

Andy Landers was good at developing posts. That was always a strength of his teams at UGA.

They were WNIT bound this past year, I suspect. In addition to Tech, they had losses to Villanova, and in conference to Vandy and Missouri as well as a bunch of better teams. 17-14 (7-9) record.

Andy Landers was a fine coach. 862 - 299 in 36 years, plus he did some JC coaching that the NCAA doesn't recognize early in his career. He would tell you he has 944 wins. Made the NCAA's his last 20 years, but his last 2 seasons (both 12 loss years) included losing SEC records and early NCAA exits, so he retired.

Joni Taylor, the current coach is 98-58. Although they made the NCAA's twice I haven't found them to be impressive. I do usually notice, as I have family that went there.

Wish her success, of course, As someone noted, Chelsea Newton is an Assistant there.

Wish her well there but Athletic is not an adjective I would use to describe her and I saw all her home games, I thought she was slow and ponderous. Clearly not a 5 star or # 1 or 2 center coming out of high school. Hope she improves with her sitting out the transfer year while practicing with her new team

Wow - who knew about all those RU / Georgia Connections - although the other assistant that played for Vivian I don't know the name, so I assume at Iowa. Didn't know Eatman's connection to Taylor, either.

Georgia another classic women’s ball team like Tennessee, has their own logo separate from the other men’s programs. However not as powerful lately in the era of Notre Dame/Baylor/SCar .. I think of Georgia in the pre- to just beginning UConn dynasty days

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT