ADVERTISEMENT

Maori Davenport to transfer

Guess the lack of playing time wasn't something she expected and feels RU's a [poor fit for the type of talent she brings to the table.
Like it or not, CVS lost a talented player and one that got the shaft in HS then wound up mainly sitting on the bench at RU.

This top tier/player recruiting means nothing if it is A) all hype B) you can't develop it, and C) Can't keep em.

Make excuses but this is more of the same.
What a waste of time, energy, and enthusiasm.
There's a problem in River City that folks don't want to acknowldge.
Kill the posters. Cry about lack of fans supporting the program and coming to games. And don't admit this pattern just keeps repeating itself over and over.

Carry on. Glad I visited the forum tonight. As they said, get your dirt out while the virus is dominateing the negative news. (maybe we Do have a PR group after all).

Not good.
Another unfortunate turn of events. I'm not totally surprised either, as shields stated above. Had to be a heck of an adjustment for her when you consider the talent level from Ala HS ball to Big10, let alone the NY Metro area vibe of a Rutgers campus compared to deep South Ala. It had to be a frustrating year for her and didn't look like she was having fun.
Yes,.... this is a new normal in college basketball. Transfer portal is as busy as ever. Hate to see her not stick it out but I wish her all the best.

Davenport will fit in better w a team that doesn’t run and press. Just way too slow for a team that utilizes the 55 defense and pushes the ball up the floor. Seems like a great kid, good luck to her.

I think so too, especially since the two posts we have coming in (especially Sakima Walker) are ultra athletic.

Reactions: ChasRC69
Davenport will fit in better w a team that doesn’t run and press. Just way too slow for a team that utilizes the 55 defense and pushes the ball up the floor. Seems like a great kid, good luck to her.
Ditto, well putl

Didn't the coach see this before she recruited her?

Reactions: LotusAggressor
What does our roster look like for next year? We are going to be relying on freshman which rarely seems to work with CVS.

What does our roster look like for next year? We are going to be relying on freshman which rarely seems to work with CVS.
Right now it stands as

Broughton/Johnson/Guihon
Guirantes/Maddox
Giles/Martino/Lafayette
Mack/Cornwell
Singleton/Walker

I am wondering how many Season Ticket Holders, are thinking about entering the Transfer Portal. For a coach with HOF credentials, it’s been a long dry spell.

We played a very weak OOC schedule. Eleven games against weak teams.

But our star freshman recruit got an average of only 14 minutes per game in those eleven games. In those minutes she averaged 55% from the floor.

I was looking for more minutes for Maori player-development all season (many posts).

I hope she finds a better fit and has a great career elsewhere.

I think we are jumping the gun on this. Maori is still listed on the schools roster and there hasn’t been anything other than this tweet to state she’s leaving. If you read the tweet, they got the information from a source.

I hope she looks at the opportunity in front of her. With better conditioning and a year in the system she could be a major contributor next year.

if she does leave I hope the coaches are looking for another post player. Grade transfer or JucO.

https://www.nhregister.com/colleges...-newest-trend-in-women-s-college-11350001.php

"The transfer epidemic does not begin and end with the stunning exodus at North Carolina."

“It is quite disturbing,” said Connecticut Sun coach Anne Donovan,

"Some of the numbers are staggering. There are 27 players gone from the Big 12, including six from Oklahoma State, four from Kansas State and three each from Baylor, Texas Tech and West Virginia in the last year alone. A total of 23 players in the ACC have left (24 if you count Loyd). Clemson lost its top three returning scorers to Charlotte, Chattanooga and Auburn while eight other ACC programs have lost multiple players via the transfer route.:'

https://www.nhregister.com/colleges...-newest-trend-in-women-s-college-11350001.php

"The transfer epidemic does not begin and end with the stunning exodus at North Carolina."

“It is quite disturbing,” said Connecticut Sun coach Anne Donovan,

"Some of the numbers are staggering. There are 27 players gone from the Big 12, including six from Oklahoma State, four from Kansas State and three each from Baylor, Texas Tech and West Virginia in the last year alone. A total of 23 players in the ACC have left (24 if you count Loyd). Clemson lost its top three returning scorers to Charlotte, Chattanooga and Auburn while eight other ACC programs have lost multiple players via the transfer route.:'
2015?

Transferring in W BB is not a new phenomnom, unless you don't follow W BB. And it's getting more and more common obviously. The other article is from Aug. 2019.

The Viv haters here have their heads so far up their butts it's pathetic. She just broke the record for most 20 win seasons, and the uninformed posters think a few transfers is shocking . It's actually the opposite, none or few transfers would be shocking..

Transferring in W BB is not a new phenomnom, unless you don't follow W BB. And it's getting more and more common obviously. The other article is from Aug. 2019.

The Viv haters here have their heads so far up their butts it's pathetic. She just broke the record for most 20 win seasons, and the uninformed posters think a few transfers is shocking . It's actually the opposite, none or few transfers would be shocking..

Agreed.

Also keep in mind that a SC player entered the portal last year, and then decided to stay at SC. It's not a done deal until she actually transfers.

My only concern about the Davenport situation is as I have stated on here several times, is she should have received more playing time to see if she would improve. That did not happen even in blowouts.

Transfers happen. If she wasn't willing to wait until next season which she would have likely been the starting center on a very talented team, then she must have been very unhappy.

But just to show you how transfers happen to all programs....Austin of Maryland just announced she's transferring. If I were one of our staff members I'd get on the phone right now to her.

Reactions: RUcrazee
Transfers happen. If she wasn't willing to wait until next season which she would have likely been the starting center on a very talented team, then she must have been very unhappy.

But just to show you how transfers happen to all programs....Austin of Maryland just announced she's transferring. If I were one of our staff members I'd get on the phone right now to her.
Agree 100%. Also, Viv shows a sense of loyalty to her recruits it seems. Tiya Singleton sat out last season and Viv may have felt that it was her turn to get those minutes. Especially since Maori was not clearly more productive when coming in. If she had been, she likely would have taken more of the minutes from Tiya. That kind of loyalty lets recruits know that they will not just be thrown to the curb if a super frosh comes in at their position.
Also, Maori often came in and was not ready, to put it nicely. She probably has more upside than Tiya, but Tiya put in her dues to deserve that development time.

Now to that Austin news! Boy would she be a welcomed addition to our squad. And just imagine if the person who worked with Jordan Wallace last summer worked with her. She could be a player of the year candidate. Also, she may be close with Elizabeth Martino. Both from Md. HS circles. Wishful thinking.

Agree 100%. Also, Viv shows a sense of loyalty to her recruits it seems. Tiya Singleton sat out last season and Viv may have felt that it was her turn to get those minutes. Especially since Maori was not clearly more productive when coming in. If she had been, she likely would have taken more of the minutes from Tiya. That kind of loyalty lets recruits know that they will not just be thrown to the curb if a super frosh comes in at their position.
Also, Maori often came in and was not ready, to put it nicely. She probably has more upside than Tiya, but Tiya put in her dues to deserve that development time.

Now to that Austin news! Boy would she be a welcomed addition to our squad. And just imagine if the person who worked with Jordan Wallace last summer worked with her. She could be a player of the year candidate. Also, she may be close with Elizabeth Martino. Both from Md. HS circles. Wishful thinking.

agreed. Just look at the Minnesota game for example as to why she wasn’t ready.

Maori looks like a different person physically only a year ago. Not being allowed to play BB last season hurt her a lot conditioning wise. And not making the National team also set her back.

while it's definitely disappointing that Davenport appears to be transferring, it is:

1. Hardly unique too RU. There are players transferring from ALL programs right now, and that's been the case for years. There is no evidence at all that RU has more transfers than other programs

2. Not clear WHY she is transferring, since no one has commented on the situation. Maybe she was unhappy with playing time or didn't think she fit in the program. Or maybe she was super homesick and wanted to be closer to home. Or maybe something completely different.

Post players in general take longer to develop than guards at the college level, and I was looking forward to seeing Maori continue to develop. Jordan Wallace shows it is very possible to happen at RU.

This top tier/player recruiting means nothing if it is A) all hype B) you can't develop it, and C) Can't keep em.

Make excuses but this is more of the same.
What a waste of time, energy, and enthusiasm.
There's a problem in River City that folks don't want to acknowldge.
Kill the posters. Cry about lack of fans supporting the program and coming to games. And don't admit this pattern just keeps repeating itself over and over.

Carry on. Glad I visited the forum tonight. As they said, get your dirt out while the virus is dominateing the negative news. (maybe we Do have a PR group after all).
These recent transfers of "top tier" players from other programs, leaving good situations and good coaches, are more examples showing that there just doesn't have to be a problem. This will only become a bigger part of college hoops if the rule that's expected to allow them to transfer w/o sitting out a year is put into effect. Mabrey, Austin, and now Kiersten Bell of Ohio State, all are leaving very good teams that stood to be top 25 teams (Maryland top 5 potential). Auburn seems to have a problem. Eight of their players have transferred this year with no incoming recruits at this time. We don't have a problem here at RU. I've enjoyed the team's recent uptick.

Some players are not going to hesitate if they think "the grass looks greener over there". Many will look back on their decisions years later and realize they made the wrong one.
I also think the transient culture of NBA players (although their situation is different- $$$) contributes to the appeal to some kids to want to switch teams. It's the, "I'm taking my talents to South Beach" syndrome with some of these transfers.

These recent transfers of "top tier" players from other programs, leaving good situations and good coaches, are more examples showing that there just doesn't have to be a problem. This will only become a bigger part of college hoops if the rule that's expected to allow them to transfer w/o sitting out a year is put into effect. Mabrey, Austin, and now Kiersten Bell of Ohio State, all are leaving very good teams that stood to be top 25 teams (Maryland top 5 potential). Auburn seems to have a problem. Eight of their players have transferred this year with no incoming recruits at this time. We don't have a problem here at RU. I've enjoyed the team's recent uptick.

Some players are not going to hesitate if they think "the grass looks greener over there". Many will look back on their decisions years later and realize they made the wrong one.
I also think the transient culture of NBA players (although their situation is different- $$$) contributes to the appeal to some kids to want to switch teams. It's the, "I'm taking my talents to South Beach" syndrome with some of these transfers.

And for some, it really is in their best interest to transfer.

Yup, it is insane this year. But it really has been for quite a few years.

Arizona, where I am now, is filled with 2 things - transfers and foreign players. Among the transfers - all everything Aari McDonald (not known if she is going pro), from Washington; Amari Carter, who was a one year player from Penn State, and (possible spelled wrong) Pellington who will be playing next year after transfering from Oklahoma and sitting out this year. She is on the Canadian National Team.

Conversely, a crowd favorite, Bryce Nixon, is transfering. The truth of the matter (hate to say it) is she just isn't as physically talented (or ready) as recruits after 2 years.

So yes, it works both ways and I have never thought that Rutgers is unique in this.

Bell is one we should go after. Especially since we came so close to getting her out of HS.

She is a freshman. Apparently she did not do what she was supposed to do. I know that CVS will play you a lot if you are a freshman and worthy. She could have played a big part in the rotation next year. No worries, we have a tremendous class coming in. Reminds me of the Essence, Matee class.

Not saying this is wrong "Apparently she did not do what she was supposed to do."
But adjusting to college ball and a possible different style of play , then she was used to,was a little harder for Davenport than both her and CVS thought when Maroi committed to Rutgers
Also could be the fight for her HS eligibility took a lot out of Davenport mentally and
helped delay her adjusting to the college game.
Everything I said is just speculation on my part, but do feel in the right program, and an southern environment Maori could show the talent we expected to see from her, but didn't as a freshman player.

She was coming along towards the end of the season. Sad that decide to leave. She is slower than I expected but she just need some time in the weight room. Wish her the best and hope she change her mind.

Reactions: LtCol144
I swear the entire roster could transfer and the same posters would claim “all is well” lol
And when all is well, the same detractors will be finding faults.
You can tell that type easily:
Occasionally they will stop by this board to praise the coach and /or program when things are looking good.

But let something not go right, those same posters make sure their criticism is heard.
Nothing wrong with criticizing, but one must look at the poster criticizing and if they are the type that mainly posts when things are not looking the best or if they post often ( good or bad).

And when all is well, the same detractors will be finding faults.
You can tell that type easily:
Occasionally they will stop by this board to praise the coach and /or program when things are looking good.

But let something not go right, those same posters make sure their criticism is heard.
Nothing wrong with criticizing, but one must look at the poster criticizing and if they are the type that mainly posts when things are not looking the best or if they post often ( good or bad).

I'd bet my # of posts on THIS board, when things are going well, over the HISTORY of this board, is higher than the # of those posted during "bad" times so-to-speak.

Nice try, however, and hope you're staying healthy my friend.

ADVERTISEMENT