ADVERTISEMENT

March 10,1991

Watching the selection show at my home in Old Bridge, NJ. Was working in NYC at the time and I took the following Thursday and Friday off (like I have for 30+ years) to watch the 1st round games.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
I remember there was some thought we were on the bubble that day . We laid a massive egg in the first round of the a-10 tournament and lost to st joes.

Was that Selection Sunday or the day we played ASU? If it's the date of the ASU game I know exactly where I was: Brunswick Pub in New Brunswick, having a beer and cheeseburger and watching the game.

Been so long, there is no more BP or Greasy Tony's. Became Easton Towers or whatever it's called a long time ago.

Reactions: RC71
I remember there was some thought we were on the bubble that day . We laid a massive egg in the first round of the a-10 tournament and lost to st joes.
Yeah- that game sucked. St. Joe's was pretty bad that year.

Remember Jim Nantz saying something to the effect that our 8/9 matchup with Arizona State was the least intriguing or something. Thanks, Jim.

Reactions: Plum Street
I remember exactly where I was on Selection Sunday when I heard the news RU received a bid.

On 3/10/91, I was a sportswriter for The Daily Journal of Elizabeth. I was on press row covering the Seton Hall Prep vs. McCorristin state tournament game at Brookdale Community College. Ira Bowman (Providence, Penn) was the star of the SHP team and McCorristin featured Mark Bass (St. Joseph's).

A reporter from the Asbury Park Press got off a pay phone (remember... no cell phones back then) with his office where someone told him the good news. He then relayed the message to all of us on press row.

Reactions: Groz and RC71
I was on the 4th floor of freligenheyseen hall....hoping that Valvano would win the bet with Bill Cosby ....

I was watching the selection show. When we came up it was such a great feeling of joy. Who knew it would be 30 years for the next one?

I was in my off campus apartment at 97 Commercial Avenue watching the selection show. When our ticket was punched, my roommates and I started dancing and celebrating. Three of us were in the pep band and went to the game. I remember being so worried about getting in, then seeing us in the 8/9 slot I realized we were not in doubt in the eyes of the committee.

I was 6 years old. Watching the selection show at a friend of my dad's who are all still season ticket holders. Remember eating pizza hut. A few days later we drove to atlanta from south plainfield.

Figured it would be a regular thing. In fact that same year we traveled to arizona for the fiesta bowl classic where we played maryland and arizona. Thus begining a life long relationship of travelling for RU football and basketball games.

I was 6 years old. Watching the selection show at a friend of my dad's who are all still season ticket holders. Remember eating pizza hut. A few days later we drove to atlanta from south plainfield.

Figured it would be a regular thing. In fact that same year we traveled to arizona for the fiesta bowl classic where we played maryland and arizona. Thus begining a life long relationship of travelling for RU football and basketball games.
I could be wrong, but didn't we beat Maryland pretty soundly in that tournament?

Sounds about right. A guy who grew up down the road from RU and taking every opportunity to crap on the local school.
prolly could not get into Rutgers...

NANTZ
Born in Charlotte, North Carolina, Nantz grew up in New Orleans, Louisiana,[1] Colts Neck Township, New Jersey,[2] and Marlboro Township, New Jersey,[3] where he attended Marlboro High School.[4] In high school, he was co-captain of the basketball team and co-captain and number one player on the golf team. He was a member of Bamm Hollow Country Club.

Nantz then went to the University of Houston in Texas, where he majored in broadcasting and played on the Houston Cougars men's golf team, rooming with future professional golfers Fred Couples and Blaine McCallister.[5] It was during this time that Nantz got his first experience in sports broadcasting with the CBS Radio Network, transmitting taped interviews to Win Elliot for the latter's Sports Central USA weekend reports.[6]

Reactions: IL Lusciato
I could be wrong, but didn't we beat Maryland pretty soundly in that tournament?
I looked it up and I was wrong- we lost to Maryland in the ECAC Holiday Festival that year. That Arizona tournament was probably a couple of years later.

I was 15, a sophomore in HS. I probably was filling out an empty bracket from the Sunday Home News Tribune as the teams came in.

Long story short. We stayed at the same hotel as the team in Arizona. Steve Worthy was on the team that year I was a fat chubby kid in the pool who I'm pretty sure the players made fun of and coach Wenzel made steve be nice to me. We were very close with that team that year and the next. In fact a few years later he wrote me a letter appologizing that he got caught on in some things and had a brief stint in jail.

I was convinced those 92-93 teams would have been more successful.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
I know exactly where I was for the game. I was at my girlfriend's house in Berlin, NJ or, somewhere down in the wilds of South Jersey. That was my Sophomore year (she was a freshman).

Wondering whether that Brutal st Joe’s loss would keep us out. It didn’t. Then Brent Dabbs provided locker room fodder for ASU. I’ll never forgive that guy.

I was a senior at RU getting ready to graduate. Most likely I would have been home in Piscataway glued to the selection show.

I watched that St Joe’s loss in disbelief. We were the one seed. When that stupid, cheesy Hawk Mascot kept flapping his wings I kept saying we cannot lose to these guys. It was a Sunday night game if I recall. Thank God we got in the tourney. Was very excited. Rushed home to watch the game and the bone head move at the end by Earl. Living in Ithaca at the time

I know 1991 was the last season we made the tourney (I was a sophomore at RU with season tickets) but when was the last time we won a NCAA tournament game? I should know but do not.

The StJoes loss was inexplicable given how well we played the back half of the season though the Duquense loss should have been a warning. Already tix to the semis and finals of A10 which went wasted

Watching in Silvers Apt my junior year and while we were considered somewhat of a bubble we got a great seed...although disheartened that Arkansas was our draw for the 2nd round

The game itself i couldnt enjoy as much because i had a Defense Policy exam earlier in the day (Friday classes I know wtf) so that ended any dream of driving to Atlanta. My roommates all went home so i had watched with this girl who was so annoying to be around as Rutgers proceeded to choke away the game

I know 1991 was the last season we made the tourney (I was a sophomore at RU with season tickets) but when was the last time we won a NCAA tournament game? I should know but do not.

1983 SW Louisiana..remember watching that one as a Bacteen

1983. Roy Hinson and the boys took down SW Louisiana in round one before losing to St. John’s in round two.

Preschool (the next day, at least). My son's in preschool now.

ADVERTISEMENT