ADVERTISEMENT

Marcus Valdez Commits to BC

RU23

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2010
Actually pretty shocked. Thought he was RU-bound.

Had some pretty good offers from Ivies, and perhaps he wanted a smaller school with an excellent academic reputation.
Makes sense. He's got a lot of family at RU and that would usually be a good thing but it might be a negative for some who want to do their own thing.

Ash still has some options in Bolds, Hansard, Wade-Perry, Tverdov, etc. but really needs to close.

Marcus Valdez chose BC over Rutgers?

spock-illogical.jpg

Reactions: ScarletKnight81
Was Valdez a high priority recruit for the staff? Don't want to sound like I'm dissing the kid - I just don't know and haven't heard his name mentioned all that much. From the kid's perspective, he'll probably get more PT early on and BC is a good school. Their football program has become a disaster however.

Was Valdez a high priority recruit for the staff? Don't want to sound like I'm dissing the kid - I just don't know and haven't heard his name mentioned all that much. From the kid's perspective, he'll probably get more PT early on and BC is a good school. Their football program has become a disaster however.

No one can know for sure whether he was a high priority or not. Here's what we do know - he had an offer from us (and got it early so obviously we wanted him to some degree), he had some other good BCS offers (Duke, BC, Syracuse, lots of other interest), he had tons of Ivy offers (Harvard, Yale, you name it), he's from Don Bosco (obviously doesn't hurt getting a kid from there), and right now we have zero DL commits for this class after bringing in just one in 2016 (Turner).

He was a high priority DE target (along with Tevrdov) and was considered by most recruiting services as a heavy RU lean who grew up following Rutgers football, there is no doubt we wanted him and BC stole this one fair and square.

He was a high priority DE target (along with Tevrdov) and was considered by most recruiting services as a heavy RU lean who grew up following Rutgers football, there is no doubt we wanted him and BC stole this one fair and square.

Not sure he was high priority.

NJ is lacking DE talent in this cycle, Tverdov and Valdez was #1a and #1b depending on who you ask, I believe both were high priorities for the staff.

Tverdov is significantly a head of Valdez. Even if he was the 2nd best DE in the state, does not mean he was a high priority. Ash has said he want more length at the DE position, Valdez does not help there.

I dont think hes that big of a loss,kind of short to play in B10.That said,he will look to transfer back when Addiazo gets fired.

Tverdov is significantly a head of Valdez. Even if he was the 2nd best DE in the state, does not mean he was a high priority. Ash has said he want more length at the DE position, Valdez does not help there.

When did Ash say that, and has that changed since they recruited Julius Turner from Mississippi? The new staff got an offer out to him pretty quickly, and he is 6' 1".

I heard the listing of 6 ft 1 was a 'stretch'..LOL.

Congrats to him. BC is a good school. Based on the schools he was interested in, it would appear that academics was a high priority for him.

No harm, no foul.

So Ash doesn't bat 1.000.

Reactions: RUpop
I understand why so many can't stand BC and understand that they get about 20 people to come to their games but I also get why some kids want to go to school there. I have no idea where this kid was on Ash's board but we are never going to get all the NJ kids and there are going to be 1 or 2 each year that will have ND and BC as their "dream" schools.

There will always be some leakage of NJ parochial prospects to BC and Notre Dame, particularly from Bergen County.

Don't know specifically about Valdez, but it has been discussed a lot here that a lot of kids don't even consider Rutgers as a safety school for academics. Many kids want a smaller school and environment, and many Catholic kids want to go to a Catholic school.

I understand why so many can't stand BC and understand that they get about 20 people to come to their games but I also get why some kids want to go to school there. I have no idea where this kid was on Ash's board but we are never going to get all the NJ kids and there are going to be 1 or 2 each year that will have ND and BC as their "dream" schools.
I could not have said it better myself.

Will Coach Ash get DL and other defensive side of the ball players late in the recruiting period from out-of-state, like Ohio, when and if he comes up short recruiting in NJ?

Will Coach Ash get DL and other defensive side of the ball players late in the recruiting period from out-of-state, like Ohio, when and if he comes up short recruiting in NJ?

They are recruiting out state players already, just had a DE from Ohio this week. We also had safety's from Georgia and Pennsylvania on campus.

Good luck to the young man. Fact is we're never going to keep them all, it's just fantasy to think so.

Some are looking at the football comparison only....... Last time I checked BC was considered a tier 1 academic school, placing them in the same level as Princeton, Yale, etc..... No not nearly as prestigious, and as hard to get into, but still placed in the same tier...... RU is a tier 2 school and well respected

However, we have seen many a player who comes out of a private school opt for BC because maybe their parents want them to go to the higher ranked academic school, or they themselves make that choice.

Where you go to college is a personal choice. To lots of players and parents, their impression of Rutgers is ... over-the-top diverse, way liberal, underfunded by NJ, and a tradition of sports doormat. We don't believe it, but if you live in NJ, you'll hear it more often than you like when college discussions come up. Rutgers is not everyone's cup of tea, especially when they have real options.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Some are looking at the football comparison only....... Last time I checked BC was considered a tier 1 academic school, placing them in the same level as Princeton, Yale, etc..... No not nearly as prestigious, and as hard to get into, but still placed in the same tier...... RU is a tier 2 school and well respected

However, we have seen many a player who comes out of a private school opt for BC because maybe their parents want them to go to the higher ranked academic school, or they themselves make that choice.

Please stop it. BC is not on the same level as the Ivies or Duke for that matter.

ADVERTISEMENT