ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Armstrong a litmus test

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
Armstrong is a point from Jersey City with combo skills. He is down to Nova, Stanford and Rutgers. Rutgers first offered and Knight is the lead recruiter. This commitment probably will turn heads if he is Rutgers bound. Beating out Nova would be a major step. He is plan A for Rutgers. Probably plan B for Nova.

Armstrong is a point from Jersey City with combo skills. He is down to Nova, Stanford and Rutgers. Rutgers first offered and Knight is the lead recruiter. This commitment probably will turn heads if he is Rutgers bound. Beating out Nova would be a major step. He is plan A for Rutgers. Probably plan B for Nova.

accurate and well said...

would go really really well with jones and miller ....

Reactions: RU MAN
Incorrect to call it a litmus test.
Beat out a regional and National power for an in state kid we were in on early? Maybe a litmus test is the wrong phrase - but if we are serious about dancing and advancing most years then it’s someone that would lead us in that direction. The Mensahs and Bullocks won’t nor Palmquist I suspect

Jay Wright doesn’t make a lot of offers and doesn’t often lose out for players he really wants.

I saw a list of Villanova players who played in the NBA in the past 10-15 years, and the list is just mind boggling.

I would be SHOCKED if we're able to wrest Armstrong away from Nova.

In that regard, I don't think "litmus test" is the right phrase. It can't be a litmus test with Nova's recent history. We just don't compare at all.

Reactions: RUpop
Beat out a regional and National power for an in state kid we were in on early? Maybe a litmus test is the wrong phrase - but if we are serious about dancing and advancing most years then it’s someone that would lead us in that direction. The Mensahs and Bullocks won’t nor Palmquist I suspect
I believe giving Bullock a scholarship will pay dividends down the road.

As far as Mensah is concerned, I still can't figure that one out.

The jury is still out on Palmquist.

I believe giving Bullock a scholarship will pay dividends down the road.

As far as Mensah is concerned, I still can't figure that one out.

The jury is still out on Palmquist.
1. Disagree.
2. Same here.
3. Kid was a superstar in practice in spring 2020. Showed nothing albeit in limited time. But considering he’s from a Europe especially, did not seem ready for prime time. But yeah, we can take one more look next year.

1. Disagree.
2. Same here.
3. Kid was a superstar in practice in spring 2020. Showed nothing albeit in limited time. But considering he’s from a Europe especially, did not seem ready for prime time. But yeah, we can take one more look next year.
Bullock played for Roselle Catholic one of the best high school basketball programs in NJ.Pikiell has a good relationship with the head coach but that didn't help getting Cory Floyd.

One would intuit that long term these are the battles that need to be won, like once a year for us to be where we’d like. I think in part our success was due to the system and drive of a program that hadn’t been there before.

Recruiting in year 1 vs year 5 is very different.

Bullock played for Roselle Catholic one of the best high school basketball programs in NJ.Pikiell has a good relationship with the head coach but that didn't help getting Cory Floyd.

We didn't need Corey Floyd Jr, his recruitment and fit is better suited for UConn......Floyd is really a wing in a SG/PG body......

RU needs upgrades with a true combo/point with athletic ability and bounce, who can be Jacob Young like as an athlete, just with the ability to be a future team captain.

Reactions: JerseyB and DirtyRU
I hope Hawk is right with this one after being wrong about Myles.

Wasn't wrong about Myles, never guaranteed or would guarantee anyone staying or committing or transferring. I have my futurecast in for Armstrong but like anything else with recruiting, other teams beyond RU could have needs that could change, other kids can emerge via the transfer portal etc....

Reactions: wheezer
Armstrong only comes here if Villanova strikes out on other targets. If they wanted him, they would have him already.

Armstrong only comes here if Villanova strikes out on other targets. If they wanted him, they would have him already.

You can literally say that about probably 98% of recruits, that means nothing in the equation of winning a recruiting battle. There are multiple factors here besides this blind assumption that if Nova wants him, they will get him.

We have seen 3 Top 60 type kids in the 2020 class in the last 48 hours, hit the transfer portal, because they thought the school they picked was the best choice at the time, didn't play much as frosh and transferred out. Not every recruit is going to make a splash decision and pick the school, when in theory, nothing about picking Nova benefits the recruit in any way. The original poster has it right. Doesn't mean it's going to go the way RU wants it, just an observation that recruiting always has a domino effect.

I'm sure it would have been possible to make your point without denigrating RU players.

Reactions: Rutgers56
I'm sure it would have been possible to make your point without denigrating RU players.
How is it denigrating to say that I don’t suspect Palmquist will lead us in the right direction? He was hyped up last year in practice and showed nothing. Yes I know about COVID. But he was still a disappointment considering the hype. I hope I’m hugely wrong trust me!!

Wasn't wrong about Myles, never guaranteed or would guarantee anyone staying or committing or transferring. I have my futurecast in for Armstrong but like anything else with recruiting, other teams beyond RU could have needs that could change, other kids can emerge via the transfer portal etc....
Hawk - I don’t want to get into it but you basically did all but guarantee he was staying. I remember it because you are always spot on with stuff so that miss stuck out. So if you’ve got inside info that the kid is coming here that’s great and I hope you’re right.

Hawk - I don’t want to get into it but you basically did all but guarantee he was staying. I remember it because you are always spot on with stuff so that miss stuck out. So if you’ve got inside info that the kid is coming here that’s great and I hope you’re right.

I don't have any inside information on any recruit, I am just following what recruits have offers and what schools have players already committed or targeted at the same position.

There are people way more qualified or connected to a recruiting cycle that are more likely to be accurate than a writer on regional or national scale.

ADVERTISEMENT