ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Armstrong a litmus test

If memory serves correctly, it was over 30 years ago or so that Bob Wenzel tried very hard to recruit a top NJ HS player, Tim Thomas, but it was all for naught as he chose Nova. Nova has outrecruited Rutgers for decades, and it would be astonishing if this year it is going to be any different, unfortunately. But maybe the basketball gods will smile upon Rutgers this time.

Last edited:
If memory serves correctly, it was over 30 years ago or so that Bob Wenzel tried very hard to recruit a top NJ HS player, Tim Thomas, but it was all for naught as he went to Nova. Nova has outrecruited Rutgers for decades, and it would be astonishing if this year it is going to be any different, unfortunately.
Goes back past wenzel to young sadly. Edit although we were never in the big 10 before.

Last edited:
This thread is reminiscent of every game from dec-feb being a “must-win”.

It’s not a litmus test on one player. Without being behind the scenes you can’t judge the choice of one recruit. Pike has dramatically raised the recruiting level.

Why weren’t Cliff & Jaden litmus tests? Both recent four stars with one being top 50 player nationally from an NJ powerhouse.

I believe giving Bullock a scholarship will pay dividends down the road.

As far as Mensah is concerned, I still can't figure that one out.

The jury is still out on Palmquist.
Yeah, but the post was a complete low class cheap shot. Might as well go back to Wright's first year and pick his worst offers and compare them to Cliff. Stupid post.

Why pick those 2 players and ignore Cliff and Jones? Because the poster had an ax to grind and his name is Pike.

If memory serves correctly, it was over 30 years ago or so that Bob Wenzel tried very hard to recruit a top NJ HS player, Tim Thomas, but it was all for naught as he chose Nova. Nova has outrecruited Rutgers for decades, and it would be astonishing if this year it is going to be any different, unfortunately. But maybe the basketball gods will smile upon Rutgers this time.
Villanova hired Tim Thomas's coach from Paterson Catholic I
believe. Something which RU does not engage in, at least
to this point.

Villanova hired Tim Thomas's coach from Paterson Catholic I
believe. Something which RU does not engage in, at least
to this point.
If we were going to do that it should have been last year hire Matt Bloom back to have brought Trey Patterson from Rutgers Prep.

Last edited:
Hawk - I don’t want to get into it but you basically did all but guarantee he was staying. I remember it because you are always spot on with stuff so that miss stuck out. So if you’ve got inside info that the kid is coming here that’s great and I hope you’re right.

I’m sorry did I miss something? Has Myles left the program?

Reactions: hiwater

Basketball gods smiled on us with the Immaculate Deflection pass that gave Geo an uncontested layup at the end to beat Clemson.

The curse is gone. RU can now win these recruiting battles imo.

Reactions: BillyC80

He was at my club one time after he was out of Nova. I asked him why he went there over Rutgers. He told me at Rutgers he would have had to be the guy. At Nova he could just blend in and play his game. He was right in that regard. He would have flamed out at RU given those expectations, and made the right choice imo.

Reactions: BillyC80
He was at my club one time after he was out of Nova. I asked him why he went there over Rutgers. He told me at Rutgers he would have had to be the guy. At Nova he could just blend in and play his game. He was right in that regard. He would have flamed out at RU given those expectations, and made the right choice imo.
I think this has been underestimated in the past. Should not be as much of an issue going forward hopefully

I believe he told you that. I don’t believe he was being honest with you. Why did he eliminate RU before Seton Hall? Our records were practically identical those years and he was much closer to Wenzel than he was to George Blaney. Something else was going on there. Also, in his freshman (only) year there, he led Villanova in shots attempted and was a close second in minutes played. He knew Kerry Kittles and the second leading scorer at Villanova were graduating and that he was expected to be the top guy at Villanova as soon as he got there as well. He almost went pro right out of high school, so it stands to reason he wanted to showcase as opposed to blend in at college. I always spoke with Bob Wenzel when he did a game here. He won’t say anything, but the look he gives when people ask about Thomas really conveys a message.

I am still getting over Alex Bradley‘s decision. However, we did beat them for Jeff Allen, and they had to settle for their second choice, John Pinone.
John Pinone!! Not a name you hear very often but I was thinking of Pinone while watching the Loyola-Chicago play with their center. Two guys that maximized their skill sets and outperformed their apparent physical gifts.

ADVERTISEMENT