ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland (2/19/21) Preview & Discussion

MS-RU

All American
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2013
- Goody said that everyone (of the guys you would normally\expect to see) is available to wrestle on Friday.
- He also said that they are currently evaluating who will actually wrestle. He mentioned they are struggling whether to keep certain guys healthy for the B1G tournament or have them wrestle on Friday especially since they have been off for 3 weeks already (plus another 2+ weeks before the tournament) so its a long time to not have a match. Plus some guys need a 4th match. With at being said, I'm assuming we might see some normal guys not in the lineup this weekend.
- Mentioned there will be wrestle-offs before the B1G tournament to see who will get the spot at contested weights. Have to imagine this is definitely the case at 174 & 285 and potentially at 125 and 165
- Expressed some frustration with the lack of matches this year and the B1Gs policies on OOC when some teams have wrestled 10+ and had an invitational tournament last weekend.
- Put in a call with Cael about the extra matches on Monday, which were okayed by the conference, but waiting for a call back.

Maryland Match-ups:
125: #25 Aguilar or Shawver vs. King Sandoval or Zach Spence. Neither Sandoval or Spence are very good, but neither is Aguilar right now. Hopefully he figured it out. If not, watch out its going to get ugly.
133: #5 Alvarez vs. Jackson Cockrell - Cockrell is a true-freshman and 0-7 including 3 falls, so Sammy needs to looking for the fall or TF at a minimum.
141: #1 Rivera vs. Danny Bertoni - Bertoni is 2-5, so expect Rivera to roll if he wrestles. Have a feeling we might not see him this weekend though.
149: #21 MVB vs. Hunter Baxter or Michael North - Hopefully MVB can open up his offense in this type of match
157: #25 Kanniard vs. Michael Doetsch or Lucas Cordio - Doetsch has been pretty stingy this year on defense but with limited offense, so Kanniard shouldn't have much of an issue.
165: Donner or Clark or O’Neill vs. Jonathan Spadafora - J Spadafora isn't very good, but we haven't seen anything from RU here yet this year so it's hard be confident.
174: #21 Turley vs. Phillip Spadafora - Hoping to see some more fireworks from Turley.
184: #9 Poz vs. Kyle Cochran - Probably the most interesting match of the dual, with Cochran being a former NJ state champ in 2016
197: Janzer vs. Jaron Smith or Kevin Makosy - Hopefully Janzer gets back on track and show some expanded offense.
285: McDermott or Colucci vs. Garrett Kappes or Connor Bowes - None of the UMD heavies have won a match in their careers so this should be a route regardless of who wrestles for RU

Maryland Predictions:
125: Aguilar by dec (RU 3-0)
133: Alvarez by fall (RU 9-0)
141: Rivera by TF (RU 14-0)
149: MVB by dec (RU 17-0)
157: Kanniard by dec (RU 20-0)
165: Spadafora by dec (RU 20-3)
174: Turley by MD (RU 24-3)
184: Poz by dec (RU 27-3)
197: Janzer by dec (RU 30-3)
285: McDermott by fall (RU 36-3)

Reactions: Clearscreen25
- Mentioned there will be wrestle-offs before the B1G tournament to see who will get the spot at contested weights. Have to imagine this is definitely the case at 174
Nope, don't like this one at all. I see Grello walk out I'm turning off the TV. I've already seen this movie way too many times. Wondering if he's even going to take a shot or try anything all match as he hopes to win 1-0. 1st he doesn't believe in wrestle offs now he does.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Nope, don't like this one at all. I see Grello walk out I'm turning off the TV. I've already seen this movie way too many times already. Wondering if he's even going to take a shot or try anything all match as he hopes to win 1-0. 1st he doesn't believe in wrestle offs now he does.

giphy.gif

While I agree, but if Turley really can't beat Grello at this point in the season then there would literally be no hope\chance for him at the B1Gs or NCAAs anyway.

Nope, don't like this one at all. I see Grello walk out I'm turning off the TV. I've already seen this movie way too many times already. Wondering if he's even going to take a shot or try anything all match as he hopes to win 1-0. 1st he doesn't believe in wrestle offs now he does.

giphy.gif

I'm with you on the overall feeling at 174, but I wont shut the TV off. If Turley doesnt wrestle from here on out, the fix is in.

While I agree, but if Turley really can't beat Grello at this point in the season then there would literally be no hope\chance for him at the B1Gs or NCAAs anyway.
My feeling, Grello knows Turley's arsenal from practicing day in, day out with him. Grello slows the match down as no one's calling stalling in a wrestle off. He knows this. I bet he stalls his ass off all the time hoping for that 1-0 win. We know Grello won't shoot in a regular match or really try anything. When in all your wrestling have you ever seen anyone call stalling in a room wrestle off? I know I haven't.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Wrestle offs are dumb. So many kids wrestle their teammates differently than opponents

Nope, don't like this one at all. I see Grello walk out I'm turning off the TV. I've already seen this movie way too many times. Wondering if he's even going to take a shot or try anything all match as he hopes to win 1-0. 1st he doesn't believe in wrestle offs now he does.

giphy.gif
Yep. Grello has no business starting over Turley at this point in time.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Looks like Maryland pulled the rug out from under us. SeaBass, tweeted they were at weigh ins and Maryland decided not to wrestle. But at this point who really gives a sh*t any longer by time B1G's role around it'll be 34 days since we've wrestled a match.

Last edited:
Grello tweeted out that Maryland knew about the positive test within the program(didn't say who) at 10:00 this morning and canceled the meet at weigh-in.

Even if the match was called off at 4:45, the fact that Rutgers and the Big 10 waited until 6:05 to make a public announcement is garbage. The Network had to make a few thousand dollars in last minute subscriptions.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
FYI.Administration made the call not the coach. Who would blame them the team coming in has been shut down due to covid now ready to go and they show up with a positive.
I don’t think anyone is faulting Maryland for cancelling, but the timeline is absurd. If we take both sides at their word, then there’s a 6-7 hour window when SOMEBODY should have mentioned to the Maryland team the circumstances.

I don’t think anyone is faulting Maryland for cancelling, but the timeline is absurd. If we take both sides at their word, then there’s a 6-7 hour window when SOMEBODY should have mentioned to the Maryland team the circumstances.
So it shocks you that it took a University administration 6 hours to make a decision? It doesn't shock me at all . And it probably took 7 ADs and 6 assistants and cost $15,000

ADVERTISEMENT