ADVERTISEMENT

Massoud

Really want this kid.

It’s a perfect situation ..he comes in and plays 13-15 mpg behind Eugene O as a frosh with a three year starting spot with 27 mpg waiting for him Eugene graduates

Looks like he cut his list to 5 and we’re on it. Along with Harvard, Georgia Tech, Auburn and Wake Forest

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Official visit to Rutgers on October 6. Last visit per the other site.

Massoud has a lot of upside. I am surprised at his offer list.

This would be a great pick up for Rutgers.

Reactions: soundcrib
Concerns me a little less. Interest in Harvard tells me he’s not enamored with the “big boys” and that he has his priorities straight. Rutgers is a nice medium between Ivy League education and prime time hoops schools.
So is Wake Forest but Harvard is a unique address.

Reactions: Rokodesh
It is great that Rutgers is his last visit. You want to either be first, or last. Just like in business.

He has said Rutgers has worked the hardest. People respect that a lot. I would not be surprised to see him come here. Close to home, great academics, etc.

So is Wake Forest but Harvard is a unique address.

Yes, it is...but if we wants to sacrifice a little academically for more national noteriety and consistently better competition, schools like WF and us will be in play.

Personally, unless I think I can make the NBA, I would be all-in in on an Ivy League education, but there are many who think otherwise.

These kids all think they can make the NBA. I hate to say it but if it was my son, it’d be Harvard.

I agree 100 %.

Wake Forest was my second choice coming out of HS-----really enjoyed my visit and they were fine with me skipping spring practice to play baseball.

Had a great host-----a good time guy from Florida named Brian Piccolo.

Wonder whatever happened to him ?

From a pure basketball standpoint, Massoud is walking into a situation where he can play 15-17 minute behind Eugene at the four with a different skill set and be a three year starter at the four spot with 26-27 minutes waiting for him ...

Hopefully he sees the academic stuff at ru and the opp for a great education and a good opp basketball opp at a big ten program that really could be on the rise

If M chooses any school over Harvard he is making a basketball decision. The difference between Harvard and other schools is huge—there is one Harvard. Academically and professionally (except for hoops) there is no comparison.

Reactions: LC-88
If M chooses any school over Harvard he is making a basketball decision. The difference between Harvard and other schools is huge—there is one Harvard. Academically and professionally (except for hoops) there is no comparison.
- Rutgers is much closer to home than Harvard and he has said he values that
- His brother may end up here as a scholarship football player
- This kind of falls under the heading of "basketball decision", but Harvard plays in front of around 1800 people per game. If Rutgers gets going, it will be around 7500+ per game on average in an extremely loud arena, and on the road the Big Ten is the most well attended conference in the country. Not to mention the stark difference in TV coverage.

We lost a running back to the Ivies last week. This could go the same way.Why would you go to any of these schools when Harvard wants you ?

I can’t remember a player I’ve wanted more. I truly believe Massoud is wildly under rated on these ranking sites. That stroke with his size and ability to handle is lethal.

I think he's ours - JMO.
These kids all think they can make the NBA. I hate to say it but if it was my son, it’d be Harvard.
Glad he's not your son. Listen, Harvard is an Ivy and a great school with a great reputation, but academically Rutgers does have one stat to hang its hat on. I believe that ten years after graduation RU grads on average make more money than grads of any school in the country. Now you can say that its because of our proximity to NYC, but that being said, Princeton and Yale aren't that far from NYC, and Columbia and NYU are in the city. It's not like we're chicken soup.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU_WL
I get the Harvard angle. But I also hope a kid this good has his mind on the NBA

Play in the P5 and make (prob) the tourn, plus get what is a great education, I’m confident Pike can sell ya over Harvard.

Someone brought up us losing Mckenzie to Yale a few posts above. While we wanted him, we were his only P5 offer. I think him and his family understand he isn’t making the NFL. Therefore, Yale made a lot of sense

- Rutgers is much closer to home than Harvard and he has said he values that
- His brother may end up here as a scholarship football player
- This kind of falls under the heading of "basketball decision", but Harvard plays in front of around 1800 people per game. If Rutgers gets going, it will be around 7500+ per game on average in an extremely loud arena, and on the road the Big Ten is the most well attended conference in the country. Not to mention the stark difference in TV coverage.

I don’t see any disagreement.

Having done as much research on the ivies as I've done, the amount of drooling people do over them makes me sick.

Not saying they're not good schools. Just that they disgust me.

In most cases a student athlete would choose an Ivy league school because of post college employment opportunities.Of course, there are some exceptions like Bill Bradley and Brian Taylor who excelled in college and in the NBA.In Massoud's case I really like Rutgers chances because of the time spent recruiting this player, membership in the B1G ,quality education and proximity to family watching games at the RAC.

I don’t see any disagreement.
You cast it as a purely basketball vs academics decision, when if he chooses Rutgers there will be other factors involved. And frankly, Harvard has been an NCAA tournament team recently, so other than overall level of competition in the B1G, Harvard can even argue it offers a better b-ball opportunity.

You cast it as a purely basketball vs academics decision, when if he chooses Rutgers there will be other factors involved. And frankly, Harvard has been an NCAA tournament team recently, so other than overall level of competition in the B1G, Harvard can even argue it offers a better b-ball opportunity.
I still think you're looking for an argument that's not here.

Posts on a sports message board are always short hand, not complete analyses.

Academically, there is a world of difference between Harvard's academic rigor and cache and Rutgers'.
Basketball-wise, Rutgers tops Harvard in the quality of opposition and chances for going pro.
Of course there are other considerations--how much he likes coaches, where he wants to live (NY/NJ) or (Cambridge/Boston), comfort level of recruiting visits, and on and on and on.

I still think you're looking for an argument that's not here.

Posts on a sports message board are always short hand, not complete analyses.

Academically, there is a world of difference between Harvard's academic rigor and cache and Rutgers'.
Basketball-wise, Rutgers tops Harvard in the quality of opposition and chances for going pro.
Of course there are other considerations--how much he likes coaches, where he wants to live (NY/NJ) or (Cambridge/Boston), comfort level of recruiting visits, and on and on and on.
Certainly wasn't looking for an argument, was just reacting to the first sentence of your initial post, and thought you might not have known about the brother factor, for one.

Certainly wasn't looking for an argument, was just reacting to the first sentence of your initial post, and thought you might not have known about the brother factor, for one.
You’re right. I don’t know about the brother factor.

One guy mentioned that Massoud could play behind Eugene at PF his first season. That could happen but there is just as good a chance that he could play SF or SG. He is known as a shooter. Harper could become a PF. We just need to see what happens and first of all he must select RU. I just hope that happens. If he comes here all I know is he would be welcomed addition and a huge addition.

One guy mentioned that Massoud could play behind Eugene at PF his first season. That could happen but there is just as good a chance that he could play SF or SG. He is known as a shooter. Harper could become a PF. We just need to see what happens and first of all he must select RU. I just hope that happens. If he comes here all I know is he would be welcomed addition and a huge addition.
He looks more like a SF. Love that we could be his final OV. There’s someone unique schools in his final 5 but nothing insurmountable. I think he’s such a key final piece to the puzzle for 2019. And moving forward, with 3 ships open for 2020...... just wow... this is the kind of patience I’ve had from the moment I watched Pikiell coach. I knew it wasn’t an immediate turnaround but he’s working and planning to make us a top 25 program and that’s an amazing accomplishment. Thank you steve and Pat,

ADVERTISEMENT