ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread: RU Wrestling at Minnesota, BTN TV, 3:15 pm, story & info:

Abro1975

Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2009
Yeah baby ! RU wrestling opens up Big10 Conference action with a very difficult match at Minn. With Intermat Dual team rankings Minn is #8 and RU #20. The Match is being shown on BTN TV at 3:15pm. If you aren't near a TV you can follow updates in this thread or by RU Wrestling twiiter (free, you don't need an account to view: https://twitter.com/RUWrestling

Here are potential/probable matchups with some comments :

Here are some thoughts on the Minn match. It is away at Minn, looking at the individual matchups , and thinking there is a good chance 165 Steven Glasgow, and maybe even 174 Joe Grello don't wrestle due to injury, making RU a decided underdog.
125 unranked Shane Metzlar loses to ranked Sean Russel by Major Dec. 0-4 Minn up.
133- #2 Nick Suriano dec over #8 Ethan Lizak, 3-4 Minn still up , but there is potential for Suriano to Major
141- unranked Peter Lipari loses by dec to ranked #7 Mitch McKee, 3-7 Minn up
149-#2 Anthony Ashnault by Major Dec over #20 Thomas Thorn, 7-7
157- #15 John Van Brill loses by dec to #9 Steve Bleise, 7-10 Minn still up
165- hearing Glasgow hurt, which stinks as he probably wins this, probably 149 Benner goes up and loses by dec, 7-13
174- Either Grello (injured) or Willie Scott (good Midlands) lose by dec to # 17 Devin Skatzka, 7-16 Minn up
184- #16 Nick Gravina win by dec on Brandon Krone , 10-16 Minn up
197- Matt Correnti win by dec over Rylee Streifel, 13-16 Minn up
285- Chris Colucci loses by dec vs #4 Gable Stevenson 13-20.
RU does have a chance IF RU hammers Suriano and Ashnault get extra bonus points vs Tech Fall or Pin AND John Van Brill wins a near toss up and /or whoever we have at 165 wins a near toss up. Correnti will need to win his toss up. Colucci has a very difficult match with freshman phenom Gable Stevenson,
So an RU win is not out of the question, but Minn is the favorite, IMO.

Reactions: KidDagger
I can't watch it live because my son has a hockey game. I'm recording it, but will still follow along here and on Twitter when I can.

This is a tough matchup for us and we really need bonus points from our big guns and an upset/win of the toss ups. Unfortunately, I just haven't seen our toss-up guys getting it done so far this year - maybe today changes that around.

I can't watch it live because my son has a hockey game. I'm recording it, but will still follow along here and on Twitter when I can.

This is a tough matchup for us and we really need bonus points from our big guns and an upset/win of the toss ups. Unfortunately, I just haven't seen our toss-up guys getting it done so far this year - maybe today changes that around.
We can’t win this unless JVB/Correnti wins and we upset @ 57/65, 74... and/or we pick up major bonus somewhere.... AND @ 25/41/hwt we need to keep bonus to a minimum... this is A LOT to ask for.. no wonder WNG had a bad feeling.... we need the perfect storm to win!

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Gable has majored the top heavyweights. Not much chance at keeping HWT to a decision

Gable has majored the top heavyweights. Not much chance at keeping HWT to a decision
I was thinking the same.. Gable is projected to be the next Snyder prospect...I’d be relieved if this was just a major..

More kids sit out for one reason or another against Suriano than any other wrestler in the country

More kids sit out for one reason or another against Suriano than any other wrestler in the country
Sadly, it's become all to common to see good matchups not happen during duals. It's not just with Suriano.

What does Suriano weigh in at? He looks much bigger than this other kid. Could he have even made 125 this year if he wanted to?

What does Suriano weigh in at? He looks much bigger than this other kid. Could he have even made 125 this year if he wanted to?
It was by design they were just playing coy and kept it hush, hush. Have to think 125 was never in the cards this year with how bulked up he looks. That doesn't happen overnight.

obviously like the tech, but wonder why not go for 6?
Just not his game. He's not a pinner.

Sadly, it's become all to common to see good matchups not happen during duals. It's not just with Suriano.
A loss for the fans when this happens and it happens way too often... The worst is when Flo promotes a matchup and we get all hyped up then POOF it doesn't happen :cry:

Reactions: belushijo
Lipari getting tilted to death. UGH. Lipari loses 13-2

Minny 8-5

Just showed Minny crowd. I thought they drew better. Ashnault crushing Thorn 6-0. Eggum threw brick for some technical bullsh*t but lost.

eggum brick? a failed brick should give opposing team choice of top, bottom, or neutral just like injury time out. clearly done to stall for thorn to catch breath

Reactions: Leonard23 and Bms22
Serious question. What is with our recruiting? Is it plateauing? We have a great new training facility being built and a strong fan base. I thought things would’ve taken off.

eggum does not know how many fingers to grab? his second rules misunderstanding...he is too crafty and experienced to really not know

eggum brick? a failed brick should give opposing team choice of top, bottom, or neutral just like injury time out. clearly done to stall for thorn to catch breath
More likley is Eggum truly thought the 4 back points was the result of an illegal figure four. If he won the challenge would have been 2-1.

How much of a breather did Thorn need in the 1st period? lol

Reactions: obrats
Serious question. What is with our recruiting? Is it plateauing? We have a great new training facility being built and a strong fan base. I thought things would’ve taken off.
I think it's tough to sell right now on just pretty pictures, concrete and open walls. Once kids can walk inside, the OTC is more established and SKWC continues to get more funding we'll see an uptick. Need more AA's as well.

ADVERTISEMENT