ADVERTISEMENT

Mathis

Right now the best defense against Mathis is to give him room and make him shoot 3 pointers or jump shots off the dribble.Mathis has great potential to expand his offensive game which will make him a dynamic offensive player .

New reoccurring theme.
Opposing coaches are beginning to say they don’t like their match up against him.

Too big, too strong, too fast.

You’ll be hearing that for the next few years.

Myles will also be a top league performer.
Coach said on the post game presser, that Montez was telling him in the huddle that they could not guard him. Probably since Douby that we had a player that this was consistently true and at times last year, when Corey went off. This young man bring a toughness, a swag, attacking the hole that will probably make him one of our all time leaders in free throws in his career. Love that he buys into Pike’s defensity mindset as well.

Mathis is every thing this team needs and should become.

Coach said on the post game presser, that Montez was telling him in the huddle that they could not guard him. Probably since Douby that we had a player that this was consistently true and at times last year, when Corey went off. This young man bring a toughness, a swag, attacking the hole that will probably make him one of our all time leaders in free throws in his career. Love that he buys into Pike’s defensity mindset as well.
Fanatics like us look for any morsal of optimism and turn guys into players they aren’t and never will be... for the most part.

That’s why your best gauge of progress and player development is always the opposing coach and opposition players....

Easier said than done.

I think it is just the personalities of those 2 in particular

But yes. It would be nice for all to play with as much ‘tude as possible.
It can be acquired, but a player has to work to find that pissed-off place inside him and purposely play that way. I saw it in Eugene from his first game at RU, that he wasn't taking shit from anyone, and he didn't force it--it's just there. He didn't need to acquire it, it was and is in him, it's how he plays, who he is. I've loved that part of his game from minute one.

I give Mathis and Eugene credit for lighting a fire under the whole team. Geo and Myles in particular both played with a sense of urgency and purpose in the second half. I give Pike credit for that too.

Agree on posts re: Mathis. Seems to me that he is called for all kinds of minor, or even phantom, touch fouls when on D. You can see & understand his frustration.

Agree on posts re: Mathis. Seems to me that he is called for all kinds of minor, or even phantom, touch fouls when on D. You can see & understand his frustration.

I think that's because he's so aggressive. He challenges balls that others don't. Some of this will wash out as he becomes more experienced and picks his spots better (yesterday he committed one foul following up a missed shot, and late in the game went for a steal in the backcourt unnecessarily leading to a 5-on-4).

Reactions: RUChoppin
Mathis is a difference maker. We need to get more players like him. If he can score 20 points without a jumper imagine what he can score when he develops one.

Reactions: satnom
Hopefully our fans will not start criticizing Mathis like they did Dahntay. Many said Jones would never see the light of day at Duke despite him being a top notch Big East player. Some will never understand. But Mathis is playing at a high level and is clearly an above average B1G player as a freshman. We need more like him.

Agree with all of the accolades for Montez. Of his many positive attributes, to me his fearlessness stands out.

Strengths:
Quick first step off the dribble.
Agile. Gets off the ground quickly and has good elevation
Uses his body well in the air to shield defenders
Soft hands around the rim. Strong finisher after initial contact
Is a willing defender. Can guard the 1 or 2
Strong rebounder on both ends of the floor.

Weaknesses:
Needs to develop a mid-range game and a consistent 3 point shot
Forces the issue at times offensively. Court vision needs improvement. Needs to find the open man rather than forcing a shot in traffic.
Gambles too often on defense leading to defensive breakdowns
Can be careless with passes on the perimeter and feeding the post

Last edited:
Reactions: patk89
Strengths:
Quick first step off the dribble.
Agile. Gets off the ground quickly and has good elevation
Uses his body well in the air to shield defenders
Soft hands around the rim. Strong finisher after initial contact
Is a willing defender. Can guard the 1 or 2
Strong rebounder on both ends of the floor.

Weaknesses:
Needs to develop a mid-range game and a consistent 3 point shot
Forces the issue at times offensively. Court vision needs improvement. Needs to find the open man rather than forcing a shot in traffic.
Gambles too often on defense leading to defensive breakdowns
Can be careless with passes on the perimeter and feeding the post
Great assessment if he can develop a good(not even great) 3 point shot he will be impossible to guard as the opposing defenders will have to guard against the drive to the hoop thereby leaving him open for the 3 point shot

Mathis is about the same size as Phil The Thrill Sellers.

And while I didn't get to watch Phil (I was in CA pre internet)… he CONTROLLED the game, his team, the other team, the announcers, the concessions and the parking lot.

Think Mathis will too!

MO
Sellers was a first team all american. I don't think we should put those expectations on Mathis just yet

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
You can see that same fire in Eugene

Plays like he is pissed off all of the time

Love it!
you are gonna get another player like that next year with Mulcahy. Very confident and hates to lose. Very competitive kid. He'll be a slasher too that will open up opportunities on the outside for our shooters

Reactions: Scangg
Mathis is a monster attacking the rim. He goes right at the defender and into him not afraid of contact. If I'm an opposing coach I would just have my guy play wayyy off and let him shoot 3's all day.

Mathis is also really tough on the secondary break. Just get him the ball coming up the court and let him attack the rim before the D has a chance to set up

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
Interesting, I remember Dahntay's game a little differently, but I was young

It's funny how the height of this team makes Mathis at 6'3" look like John Linehan out there

Love Mathis's game. He will be a leader on this team in the near future. No defections and we will be NCAA bound in the next two years,

I was more skeptical than most at the end of the OOC season on how much he would develop this year (I did not post - but that's what I thought). But the numbers in the last 6 games are 15 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 48% from the field and 33% 3pt. Hard to argue with that.

Reactions: zazoo2002
ADVERTISEMENT